Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
It was awesome and terrible at the same time, because Palmy is full of fuckwits so some shitlord threw a snowball at my head while I was on my bike.

At least some snow lord didn't throw at shit ball at your head.

Although it would have been softer.

Reply #21175 Posted: July 21, 2014, 10:54:14 am

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Hey Gents. From a guy I work with: "My daughter is looking for a developer in Silverstripe. Could be employment or contract work. Do you know anybody?"

They have a web company with about 5 staff I think, in Napier...

Hit me up if you want me to put you in contact...

Reply #21176 Posted: July 21, 2014, 03:43:11 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
First world problem: Have to tether tablet to phone for internet on shitter, cause bathroom just outside of range for both my wireless APs, and I CBF moving them

Reply #21177 Posted: July 21, 2014, 07:54:24 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
First world problem: Have to tether tablet to phone for internet on shitter, cause bathroom just outside of range for both my wireless APs, and I CBF moving them

The problem is your house is too big.

"Weird Al" Yankovic - First World Problems

Reply #21178 Posted: July 21, 2014, 08:39:57 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Hey Gents. From a guy I work with: "My daughter is looking for a developer in Silverstripe. Could be employment or contract work. Do you know anybody?"

Bro you know that's what I do all day every day, and have done for the past 5 years.

Reply #21179 Posted: July 22, 2014, 10:58:51 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

http://healthland.time.com/2011/10/17/study-1-in-6-cell-phones-contaminated-with-fecal-matter/

Reply #21180 Posted: July 22, 2014, 11:00:30 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Dat feel when the Manawatu Turbos advertise their website I designed a couple of years ago, only to find out it's an absolute train crash due to them hiring a newb in-house designer who doesn't know how to dev and butchers the entire layout.

www.turbosrugby.co.nz

Holy balls it's a mess.

Reply #21181 Posted: July 22, 2014, 11:59:16 am

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Dat feel when the Manawatu Turbos advertise their website I designed a couple of years ago, only to find out it's an absolute train crash due to them hiring a newb in-house designer who doesn't know how to dev and butchers the entire layout.

www.turbosrugby.co.nz

Holy balls it's a mess.

Um, notwithstanding the fact the background image is fucking ginormous... WTF at all the space... Somebody done goofed their layout something chronic...

The anchors don't go to the right place, and in general it doesn't snap to the anchors, it just sort of auto scrolls at Homer Simpson pace...

Reply #21182 Posted: July 22, 2014, 02:53:14 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
I've just learnt that the site was re-designed by another outfit in town then handed over to the in-house 'designer' to then rape and pillage.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Reply #21183 Posted: July 22, 2014, 02:56:39 pm

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

I get paid loads.

Still crap at web development though.

Reply #21184 Posted: July 22, 2014, 03:56:37 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!

Bro you know that's what I do all day every day, and have done for the past 5 years.

Yeah man. Are you available? I can hooks you up?

Reply #21185 Posted: July 22, 2014, 06:30:14 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Yeah man. Are you available? I can hooks you up?

Yeh, 'course.
But... I don't have to meet with them, do I?

Anyways, I know I've emailed you before, but I can't find it now :<
I'll pm you address.

Reply #21186 Posted: July 23, 2014, 06:40:53 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

lel. Plato are advertising for a senior designer.

nope.avi

Didn't even get a 'Hi' when I fired off an email to them a few weeks ago.

Reply #21187 Posted: July 23, 2014, 08:56:16 am

Codex

Maybe you're not good enough, you whore

Reply #21188 Posted: July 23, 2014, 09:00:53 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Maybe you're not good enough, you whore

WHY YOU DO ME LIKE THAT.

Seriously though. When a designer emails me about a position, job opp. or just plain wants in on the low down, I'll respond because I believe that it's the small shit and reaching out to other designers that keeps the industry at its best (as well as other professionals).

Shit, I'll even invite designers in for a tour of the printery, I'm very lucky to be working so close to a giant printery and many designers don't get to see that.

Reply #21189 Posted: July 23, 2014, 09:19:31 am

nope.avi

I would have replied with a nice polite email.

I would even invite you round to lunch, give you a tour of the office, and introduce you to everyone.

Then right at the end I'll ask, "So do you think got the job?", to which I would follow with, "The answer is no, get out of my office!"

But I'd still be nice about it.

Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:31:02 am by Spacemonkey

Reply #21190 Posted: July 23, 2014, 09:26:44 am

Offline Pyromanik

nope.avi

That sucks, that's a lose lose.
But also about what I expected since they get about 10 or more of those such emails a week.

If it's not you, it's not you. I'd recommend you apply anyway, but then I would. A bit bias on that front.

Then again we (that's pommy for "I") don't want you going in telling geek stories about me and ruining my street cred/rep/mythos/whatever the kids call it these days :P

Reply #21191 Posted: July 23, 2014, 11:01:09 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I think I'll pass.

I'm not so much into working for boutique firms. They usually don't care for upskilling their employees. If there's an Adobe conference or professional development opportunity going on, they normally wont make an allowance for you to attend unless you foot the bill yourself and take annual leave.

They also tend to pay a little on the light side.

Reply #21192 Posted: July 23, 2014, 11:33:28 am

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
I think I have full right to blame Arni for my gaming addictions at present. Between Ingress & Hearthstone, that cunt has a lot to answer for.

Reply #21193 Posted: July 23, 2014, 12:30:01 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Codex

He may have passed you the gun, but you pulled the trigger.

Reply #21194 Posted: July 23, 2014, 01:17:07 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!

Still makes Arni and accessory and an enabler..  its like giving a gambler a set of dice for his birthday....

Reply #21195 Posted: July 23, 2014, 01:45:15 pm

Offline Pyromanik

I think I'll pass.

I'm not so much into working for boutique firms. They usually don't care for upskilling their employees. If there's an Adobe conference or professional development opportunity going on, they normally wont make an allowance for you to attend unless you foot the bill yourself and take annual leave.

They also tend to pay a little on the light side.

I saw this year they sent the web team to webstock, the stuipdly overpriced conference filled with (semi)pretentious twats waffling on about esseintially nothing (basically smashing mag live with real people).

I must admit, it surprised me a bit.

But yeh bro, it's your choice :> I don't know if I could go back to agency work again either. Not that I had experiences so shit as what you did; more that I think I've outgrown it, personally. I wanted to move into what I'm doing now, and I've managed go get a foot in over here, so it's working out pretty well.

Today I fucked around teaching myself all about Vagrant, and that's O.K. and I get paid for it. Win :>

Reply #21196 Posted: July 24, 2014, 06:33:52 am

Offline Pyromanik

Still makes Arni and accessory and an enabler..  its like giving a gambler a set of dice for his birthday....

Your mum gave me dice for my birthday.
Fuzzy ones.

And handcuffs.

Reply #21197 Posted: July 24, 2014, 06:35:47 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!

Your mum gave me dice for my birthday.
Fuzzy ones.

And handcuffs.

go to it, be my guest, don't forget to carry her drunk abusive ass up the stairs...

Reply #21198 Posted: July 24, 2014, 06:44:15 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Speaking of jobs.

I worked at an awesome company over the summer, when I left they said they'd have me back IF there was a project/position going (which makes sense). I've had occasional contact with them face-to-face as part of my final year project and will do so over the next few weeks/months.

How to approach the subject of jobs?

I think they might be pretty lax about a position, but I'm going to need to draw a line at some point and start approaching other opportunities.

edit: So many jobs. I'm quite picky about how much software/hardware I want to do, even then there's heaps of positions.
Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:03:44 am by Bounty Hunter

Reply #21199 Posted: July 24, 2014, 11:01:50 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K