Topic: Old games that used to float your boat?

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Yeah, I understand that.
But aren't most/all of Stardock's games on Steam already? (I mean, that doesn't help you... but for new purchases...)

Reply #150 Posted: January 22, 2014, 01:25:54 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Yeah, I understand that.
But aren't most/all of Stardock's games on Steam already? (I mean, that doesn't help you... but for new purchases...)

Yeah.. still reluctance to give them money after they made me rage so much.

Reply #151 Posted: January 22, 2014, 01:55:23 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Fair comment.

Reply #152 Posted: January 22, 2014, 10:40:19 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Gabe is my sexy love toy. Steam is gg now.

Reply #153 Posted: February 04, 2014, 03:35:15 pm

Codex

Black and White 2 is always a favourite of mine

Black & White 2 PC Games Trailer - Trailer

Fucking loved building epic and gorgeous towns/cities and having a bad ass tiger

Reply #154 Posted: February 10, 2014, 09:19:06 am

Offline Pyromanik

Never got around to the second one, or all that much of the first, despite how much I liked it.
Villagers in first are too much bastardfaces to actually let you get on with it. Something Molyneux himself admitted to.
Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:25:12 am by Pyromanik

Reply #155 Posted: February 10, 2014, 10:23:36 am

Codex

Wasn't that bad at all in bw2 tbh, never really had an issue with villagers unless I tried being evil which never worked anyway

Reply #156 Posted: February 10, 2014, 10:39:04 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Never got around to the second one, or all that much of the first, despite how much I liked it.
Villagers in first are too much bastardfaces to actually let you get on with it. Something Molyneux himself admitted to.
That is because Black And White touted The Creature to be the focus of the game, but the actual GAME part of the game revolved around the Villagers who had all the survival instincts of a depressed lemming. Add to this the creatures broken Moral Choice system which meant that when the Creature was taught to fish and feed itself, it counted as an Evil Act due to it counting as 'stealing' from the villagers

Thusly the game that was meant to be an RPG of epic proportions which a creature that could grow and evolve intelligence ended up being a tedious RTS featuring annoying mechanics and hideously overpowered special abilities i.e 100% lightning storm, Hungry? Tired? Eat their villagers and 100% restore vigour

Silly Peter Molyneaux

Reply #157 Posted: February 10, 2014, 10:42:37 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Pyromanik

Wasn't that bad at all in bw2 tbh, never really had an issue with villagers unless I tried being evil which never worked anyway
Yeh, I've heard (one of Molyneux's main points promoting B&W2 was that the villagers weren't as inadvertently centric [thus diverting from the plot etc] as they were to the original). I never got around to finding out though as I was too busy being addicted to BF2 iirc. Ohh, that's a game I should vote for on gog.com xD

Reply #158 Posted: February 10, 2014, 10:43:07 am

Codex

Just get it on steam :P

Reply #159 Posted: February 10, 2014, 10:48:04 am

Offline Pyromanik

Oh, it's there?
Well that's an option.

Reply #160 Posted: February 10, 2014, 10:57:23 am

Codex

yeah comes up on sale every big sale usually

Reply #161 Posted: February 10, 2014, 11:52:49 am

Offline Reaper_Joe

• Devoted Member
  • Reaper_Joe has no influence.
And out of left field one ... Microsoft's Close Combat series, a bunch of strategy games set in WW2 that got better with every iteration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpevWBx5ees
My first game on PC, the others for me were Duke 1,2&3d, Star wars Dark forces 2 and emulator with pokemon red and blue

Reply #162 Posted: February 10, 2014, 07:01:08 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
MS Combat Flight Simulator 1, ahhhh the good old days!

Reply #163 Posted: February 11, 2014, 11:05:41 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
The original Caesar game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNHx4ZgdKvo
I remember it being absolutely terrible when I was a kid, but I still played it. No manual. No instructions. The game was impossible to play or understand.

Jump forward 20 years to today and the game hasnt changed at all. It is still just as horrible as it was back then.

Thankfully Civilization was released a year later and it fixed everything. So I guess my answer is: Civilization.

Caesar III was great.  Civilization is good too but I like the real time aspect of Caesar III

Reply #164 Posted: February 11, 2014, 02:56:49 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Ranger Bob;1465400
yeah i'm going to be showing my age here but

Sim city
I had no idea there were so many City Building Games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_city-building_video_games
SimCity 2000 came out in 1993???

I also had no idea that Dwarf Fortress was actually released in 2011.

This reminds me, I have to start up the Dwarf Fortress thread again, to tell the tales of the rise and fall of my Dwarves.

And the fact that I forgot to pack an anvil when I set out.

Reply #165 Posted: February 11, 2014, 03:12:36 pm

Offline Benda

• Just settled in
  • Benda has no influence.
On my 1st PC (80286) - Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
ATARI 2600 - PacMan and Tennis
C64 - Tron

Reply #166 Posted: February 12, 2014, 09:18:24 am

Offline Pyromanik

Caesar III was great.
Loved it. Still do, picked it up over Christmas.

Reply #167 Posted: February 12, 2014, 09:43:58 am

Codex

Dune 2

Still play it sometimes on my megadrive ;D

Reply #168 Posted: February 12, 2014, 10:37:25 am

Yes, Dune 2, and the first C&C

Still play them sometimes.

Reply #169 Posted: February 12, 2014, 12:45:25 pm

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.

Reply #170 Posted: February 12, 2014, 04:52:35 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Dune 2

An open source version is available for free on web and Android it seems:
http://play-dune.com/

Reply #171 Posted: February 12, 2014, 10:38:37 pm

Codex

Dune 2

An open source version is available for free on web and Android it seems:
http://play-dune.com/

Oh my god I love you

Reply #172 Posted: February 13, 2014, 08:18:09 am

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
two of my favs

Broderbund Software - Stunts v1.1 [1991]

I used to spend endless hours making my own tracks

Reply #173 Posted: February 13, 2014, 10:10:14 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Pyromanik

megadrive

wo-hoe, now we're talking!

Batman Forever quite tickled me back in the day (like, when it was released).
Earthworm Jim also so fantastic. I have #2 on my megadrive, but played #1 to the end during countless rentals before I obtained my own megadrive.

Comix zone was also good, I found out not too long before the end of life (also rental, because that was the shit back in the day).

Reply #174 Posted: February 13, 2014, 10:17:50 am