Topic: Valve Steam Box Rumors

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
Must be a weekend around here haven't seen any posts about the rumored Steam "Console Box". If true, would you buy one?

It's no secret that PC gaming needs a shot in the arm, and if a recent report from The Verge is to be believed, Valve hopes to deliver one with the Steam Box, a console-sized PC that can compete with consoles and the growing popularity of mobile platforms like Android and iOS.There's still much we don't know about the alleged device and/or platform -- not the least of which is whether or not it actually exists -- but there's certainly reason to consider it as within the realm of possibility. Despite being responsible for some of the biggest franchises in gaming, a large portion of Valve's business is anchored in the success of Steam, its digital distribution client for PC and Mac. In order for the service to grow, PC gaming has to move beyond the enthusiast market. It has to be mainstream and the Steam Box could be Valve's ace in the hole for making that happen.
The concept, murky as it may be, may actually be pretty sound.
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/03/x51_steampowered.jpg
Valve Steam Box Rumors

PC gaming has always been marred by the perception that it's a costly pursuit reserved almost exclusively for those with the know-how, resources and interest to build or purchase a system capable of matching the ever-escalating minimum specs of current titles. Of course, there is an element of truth to that belief, but the larger problem is that neither the hardware nor the software--or more importantly, a meaningful combination of the two--has existed to successfully make PC gaming more accessible.
The original report suggests that what Valve is currently developing is not a singular device, but rather the software and a set of minimum system specs for a new gaming PC category; console-sized PC hardware with enough power to play most current titles but not break the bank. Valve is allegedly working with hardware partners to produce Steam Box-capable devices and that originally, the Alienware X51 was intended to be counted among them.
At $699, the Alienware X51 is as cheap as a preconfigured system of that size and power can get. Any further cost reduction would sacrifice performance. It's possible that Valve could subsidize Steam Box-branded machines in the hopes of recuperating the costs through the added volume of software sales or by charging a monthly fee for the service, but that would undoubtedly come at high risk and/or alienate its user-base.
In either scenario, Valve could potentially lead by example, developing a machine of its own that would be small enough to fit into your home entertainment center, cost-effective and relatively powerful to serve as the poster child for the platform. It would leave the door open for third-party manufacturers to follow suit while establishing a foundation for the concept, not to mention plenty of revenue for Valve.
But software could play as critical of a role in the Steam Box concept as hardware.
Any PC can be hooked up to your home theater and used to play games, but the primary control method is still a mouse and keyboard. While it may not be an obstacle for savvier users like myself and undoubtedly many of you, it is one of the many reasons consoles are more accessible to mainstream audiences.
According to The Verge, the Steam Box platform will be built upon Valve's Big Picture mode, a 10-foot GUI (an interface that is optimized for use at a distance of 10 feet, or roughly the distance from a TV to a couch) that was announced at GDC last year. While Valve has offered little insight into what the interface will be like, the Steam website description for the feature states:
"Heading to the living room—or anywhere there’s a big screen—is Steam’s soon-to-be-released big-picture mode, offering simple, easy-to-read navigation designed specifically for TV. With full controller support, big-picture mode will let gamers kick back and enjoy their favorite games on the biggest screen in the house."
Steam Box is undoubtedly the full realization of this concept, likely giving player the ability to boot their home theater PC directly into Big Picture mode, not unlike a traditional game console would. Unlike a console, which is limited by meager hardware and limited software, a Steam Box could potentially switch to a full desktop view and access a wide variety of programs or websites.
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2012/03/pic_thebigpicture.jpeg
Valve Steam Box Rumors

The value proposition to mainstream consumers would actually be simple: the simplified UI and social features of a game console with the power and versatility of a PC that is usable from your couch at a relatively affordable price. It may not be enough to make the Steam Box platform a key player in the market, but it could potentially reinvigorate consumer interest in PC gaming and yield sizable gains in Steam adoption from a more diverse market of players.
But where would that leave enthusiast PC gamers? If Valve is as interested in producing an open platform as The Verge suggests, existing PC players may actually benefit from the Steam Box. In a perfect world, Valve will make the Steam Box software, or namely the Big Picture mode, available to any PC, allowing users to utilize machines that far exceed the minimum specs, should they choose. Devices branded as Steam Boxes would simply exist as compact, entry-level alternatives for the mainstream market. Naturally, longevity is a concern, but if the price is right, the baseline spec is powerful enough and each Steam Box could be upgraded over time, it could prove to be a non-issue.
Of course, I'm just spitballing here and the Steam Box could be a far cry from the platform and products detailed by The Verge. Fortunately, with the official announcement allegedly coming as soon as next week, it may not be long before we find out for sure.

Source : IGN

Posted: March 04, 2012, 06:02:33 pm

Offline pop

• Addicted
  • pop barely matters.pop barely matters.
not if it has that alienware sign on it..

Reply #1 Posted: March 04, 2012, 06:15:56 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.
^ +1

No never ever ever, would rather put together some cheap 550ti, i5 2400, 4gb ram and a 500gb HDD inside of some random no-brand case. Would probs cost less and still have better specs.

Reply #2 Posted: March 04, 2012, 06:25:30 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
needa an apple logo then it will sell like hotcakes ;)

Reply #3 Posted: March 04, 2012, 06:38:04 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
What's the beef with alienware? My 120hz screen is fucken jizzworthy.

I'd buy one :)

Reply #4 Posted: March 04, 2012, 08:48:52 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
the ever-escalating minimum specs of current titles.

Give me 10 examples.

Reply #5 Posted: March 04, 2012, 10:17:52 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
?

Oblivion Minimum:
2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
512 MB System RAM
4.6 GB free hard disk space
128 MB Direct3D compatible video card and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;

Fallout 3 minimum:
1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)

Fallout: New Vegas minimum:
CPU: dual core 2.0 GHz
Memory: 2GB RAM
Storage: 10GB free hard drive space
Video card: NVidia GForce 6 series, ATI 1300XT series

Skyrim Minimum:
Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
2GB System RAM
6GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM

Reply #6 Posted: March 05, 2012, 12:19:16 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?279485-Rumor-Valve-said-to-be-working-on-Steam-Box-gaming-console-with-partners

We're told that the basic specs of the Steam Box include a Core i7  CPU, 8GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA GPU. The devices will be able to run any  standard PC titles, and will also allow for rival gaming services (like  EA's Origin) to be loaded up.

With those rumored specs, all Valve needs to do is create a very slick  GUI with web-TV, blu-ray, access to the entire steam library, and DVR  type functionality... and like Skymtl said, keep it under $600... and  they have a winner IMO. An i7 with 8gb ram and modern nVidia GPU without  the huge overhead called Windows, would be a very powerful machine. Far  more so than any rumored specs for Playstation 4 or Xbox 720. We'll  find out shortly.                   

If you had to make a blind choice between a PS4, Xbox 720 or Valve Box, I would go the Valve box. Valve have a proven history of being good at things gamers like.

Reply #7 Posted: March 05, 2012, 12:27:06 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
even more if it did allow things like origin on it.

Reply #8 Posted: March 05, 2012, 12:31:22 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Quote from: Growler;1473359
even more if it did allow things like origin on it.

Very gracious of them isn't it ?.

Reply #9 Posted: March 05, 2012, 12:34:37 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
What OS would it run? It would have to be a flavour of Windows. I can't really see it happening tbh, although I do think it a good idea as it should also serve as a htpc

Reply #10 Posted: March 05, 2012, 12:50:06 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Growler

well it might be more likely than you think......

rumors of a apple (HW) based settop gaming box and apple TV (actual televisions) with the built in apple TV/cloud etc could be enough to make people like valve interested in their own line.

I know i know, apple aint a gaming platform, but 'supposedly' over the last 12 months they have head hunted (killed of spouses etc) some HUGE game designers from various platforms to go work at apple.

Reply #11 Posted: March 05, 2012, 01:08:26 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
valve have been working pretty hard at porting their games to linux, could be related

remember seeing them advertise for a number of linux nerds recently

Reply #12 Posted: March 05, 2012, 01:37:27 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Where did you read that? There were rumours a couple of years ago but Valve said it was bs. Mac support is still very limited to a very tiny portion of available titles, i would imagine Linux support would be more so. A pity.

Reply #13 Posted: March 05, 2012, 05:33:25 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
They posted a recruitment link for to their facebook page a couple of months ago iirc

Reply #14 Posted: March 05, 2012, 05:56:17 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Speakman;1473366
valve have been working pretty hard at porting their games to linux

Bollocks they have.

There have been linux boot scripts in most of their games (source based) for yonks. They've outwardly expressed that they are NOT the beginning of a linux port (shit got scratched to the surface again when the mac port thing happened).

Lots of shit runs on linux, like dedicated servers and automated tests, etc. MacOS is also a ~reasonably~ similar system, beign that it's based on BSD iirc.

If it turns out that they are up to something, I'd be a fair bit surprised to find out that it's anything more than porting steam to linux in order to scoop up titles that already exist for it (all the indy bundle stuff).

Although if they were working on ports... well. I'd be one happy geek.
May even ALMOST forgive them for no EP3 yet.

Don't think I'd buy a Valve box if it were more than a rumour.
Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:11:11 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #15 Posted: March 05, 2012, 06:04:04 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: O-L-W-A-G;1473245
^ +1

No never ever ever, would rather put together some cheap 550ti, i5 2400, 4gb ram and a 500gb HDD inside of some random no-brand case. Would probs cost less and still have better specs.

Agreed. I don't see how a valve box would be all that different to a HTPC setup. Apart from having a version of steam that can be used with a controller.

Reply #16 Posted: March 05, 2012, 09:05:42 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
^ yes and considering the Raspberry Pi will be onshore soonish it would face some serious competition for a cheap htpc running xbmc or what have you

Reply #17 Posted: March 05, 2012, 09:18:11 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
WTB: Raspberry Pi.
Yummy.

Reply #18 Posted: March 05, 2012, 10:44:05 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1473463
Agreed. I don't see how a valve box would be all that different to a HTPC setup. Apart from having a version of steam that can be used with a controller.

It might not be different, but with the purchasing power that comes from buying in the 10,000's or 100,000's, they might be able to put together a very competitively priced machine.

Also, will be very interesting to see what people will be able to do with a Raspberry Pi, and how cheap it will get once they start ordering it in large numbers (the initial price is on a 10k run, but they are expecting to have huge runs after that).

Reply #19 Posted: March 05, 2012, 11:27:51 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Quote from: dirtyape;1473356
?

Oblivion Minimum:
2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
512 MB System RAM
4.6 GB free hard disk space
128 MB Direct3D compatible video card and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;

Fallout 3 minimum:
1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)

Fallout: New Vegas minimum:
CPU: dual core 2.0 GHz
Memory: 2GB RAM
Storage: 10GB free hard drive space
Video card: NVidia GForce 6 series, ATI 1300XT series

Skyrim Minimum:
Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
2GB System RAM
6GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM

Not 10 examples.

Not "ever-escalating" either.

You must be... trolling?

Reply #20 Posted: March 06, 2012, 06:08:15 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: swindle;1473656
Not 10 examples.

Not "ever-escalating" either.

You must be... trolling?

CBF, 4 will do.

Trend is clear.

Who - me or you?

Reply #21 Posted: March 06, 2012, 08:08:52 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.
What about... ohhhhh that's right bf3 is origin and dirty ape is being paranoid parrot. IMO you should get over you fear and enjoy the game, I doubt EA will do anything extremely stupid.

Reply #22 Posted: March 06, 2012, 11:46:02 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
This will appeal to some people - Quake 3 on Raspberry Pi

Reply #23 Posted: March 06, 2012, 11:46:04 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: O-L-W-A-G;1473758
What about... ohhhhh that's right bf3 is origin and dirty ape is being paranoid parrot. IMO you should get over you fear and enjoy the game, I doubt EA will do anything extremely stupid.
What are you talking about? You diminish.

Reply #24 Posted: March 07, 2012, 09:07:49 am