Topic: Valve Steam Box Rumors

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.
Quote from: dirtyape;1473796
What are you talking about? You diminish.
The origin policy you were worrying about? ring a bell?

Reply #25 Posted: March 07, 2012, 09:22:59 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: O-L-W-A-G;1473904
The origin policy you were worrying about? ring a bell?
Yes, well excuse me for pointing the the observable fact that Origin does harvest your information and does force you to agree not to sue. If it's empirical, it's not paranoia. I don't agree with the practices and never will. From any org.

Reply #26 Posted: March 07, 2012, 10:47:52 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: swindle;1473656
Not 10 examples.

Not "ever-escalating" either.

You must be... trolling?

Same engine for the most part, no?

Reply #27 Posted: March 08, 2012, 07:41:22 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: dirtyape;1473701
Trend is clear.

No it's not, lol
Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:08:44 am by Spacemonkey

Reply #28 Posted: March 09, 2012, 11:05:40 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1474122
No it's not, lol
You can't see a steady increase in minimum requirements? Damn monkeys

Reply #29 Posted: March 09, 2012, 07:57:55 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline badgermolez

• I Posted!
  • badgermolez has no influence.
I don't believe this at all. The current battle of the consoles is already polarizing as it is. I don't see many people picking this up at all.

Reply #31 Posted: April 12, 2012, 07:32:42 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Valve already said it's not happening, the steam boxes were standard PC's to be issued to testers and are not consoles in anyway and were never meant to be.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/games/6560128/Valve-denies-Steam-Box-rumours

Reply #32 Posted: April 12, 2012, 09:21:13 am

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
  • pablo d has no influence.
The Alienware X51 is not a "Steam Box". It's just another SFF gaming PC. I reviewed it this month:

http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/reviews/alienware-x51

#ShamelessSelfPromotion

However, Steam's "Big Picture" mode is a coming reality:

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/thebigpicture.php

Basically just a way to make games look not so shit on a TV and easier to navigate. No special OS or anything.

Reply #33 Posted: April 12, 2012, 09:53:28 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1

Seems Valve are porting source engine and steam to linux. Someone will make a steambox fi they do.

Reply #34 Posted: April 26, 2012, 12:27:31 pm

Offline iPlain

• I Posted!
  • iPlain has no influence.
I would love a steam box. If Valve kept it at near enough cost price and made money from games alone.
The console market is waiting for a high spec machine, and it could take off. Considering the userbase steam already has, and great game library on it.

Reply #35 Posted: April 26, 2012, 01:28:19 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
So far they are only porting source games to linux. It's a long way to go, but if it does take off then I still wouldn't expect many older titles would get ported.

Reply #36 Posted: April 26, 2012, 03:32:25 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: dirtyape;1482350
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1

Seems Valve are porting source engine and steam to linux. Someone will make a steambox fi they do.

oscar mike golf!

Reply #37 Posted: April 26, 2012, 04:27:14 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Well seems like Valve are going to make a "steambox" of some description...

They’ve got the big screen,
now give them the big picture.
It’s time to come out of the den and explore a few more rooms of the house.

Heading to the living room—or anywhere there’s a big screen—is Steam’s soon-to-be-released big-picture mode, offering simple, easy-to-read navigation designed specifically for TV. With full controller support, big-picture mode will let gamers kick back and enjoy their favorite games on the biggest screen in the house.

Steam’s big-picture mode doesn’t require any additional development from you. Just ensure your game works well with a controller, and we’ll take care of the rest. And don’t worry, keyboard and mouse aren’t going anywhere—users will be able to switch between input devices at any time.

This revolution will be televised

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/thebigpicture.php

Reply #38 Posted: September 11, 2012, 12:17:16 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
No they aren't.

They are just making a 'big-picture' mode, offering simple, easy-to-read navigation designed specifically for TV. Which has been known for a while.

I've got steam running on my HTPC, so a big-picture mode will be great.

Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:16:52 pm by Spacemonkey

Reply #39 Posted: September 11, 2012, 12:39:38 pm

Offline Pyromanik

What monkey said. This isn't news, it's been in the works and well announced for ages. I think Mr. Newall came out with it at E3 like.. 3 years ago?
Around the time they announced PSN support anyways.

Still, I had wondered if the project had been scrapped. Seems like no :>

Reply #40 Posted: September 11, 2012, 07:12:24 pm

It's in Beta at the moment. I'll give it ago on my TV and controller and report back

http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/#out_now

Reply #41 Posted: September 14, 2012, 09:24:49 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Considering the amount of resources valve are putting into open source I would say someone's missing the big picture...

Reply #42 Posted: September 14, 2012, 02:43:31 pm

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1502445
It's in Beta at the moment. I'll give it ago on my TV and controller and report back

http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/#out_now

I gave it a go. Works well, easy to navigate with a controller. Bit of lag sometimes but it may have been due to me zipping files in the background.

I've got a lot of games where I can use a controller, so i'll be able top to play them all and never need to touch the mouse or keyboard. Steam Big Picture pretty much turns your HTPC into a games console.

Using the daisy wheel to type is a bit of a mission, but still a good idea.

I didn't try the internet browser.

Reply #43 Posted: September 14, 2012, 05:08:34 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Had a play around as well, I like it.

One tip for them would be to have an icon on the games that were controller enabled, or even have the option to hide the ones that aren't

Reply #44 Posted: September 14, 2012, 06:20:49 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted

Reply #45 Posted: November 19, 2012, 05:40:53 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: dirtyape;1509324
Interesting times...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/16/3652756/valve-big-picture-mode-steam-os-linux-game-console

Earlier this month, Valve opened up a beta of Steam for Linux to 1,000 lucky users. Valve didn’t do it quite alone: the company enlisted the support of Nvidia to write Linux drivers, and is working with Intel and AMD as well. According to the company, Valve’s own games are running faster on Linux than on Windows right now. Still, getting gamers — and game developers — to switch to Ubuntu might be hard.

But what if Ubuntu Linux wasn’t the target here?

What if instead, Valve was building its own Linux-based operating system? You could call it Steam OS. Rock Paper Shotgun's John Walker proposed the idea a few months back, and it makes sense. Valve could take the same approach that Google took with Android by licensing the operating system to hardware manufacturers, and create a new platform in the process. Perhaps the Amazon Kindle Fire makes for a better analogy: where Amazon crafted a lightweight, purpose-built system that revolves around shopping, Steam OS could revolve around games.

Thank you Steam :D :D

With all the pus that is comes with Windows these days I am dumping the OS for Slackware.

Reply #46 Posted: November 19, 2012, 07:13:31 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Pyromanik

But slackware :<

Arch!

Reply #47 Posted: November 27, 2012, 10:21:56 pm

Valve will release HL3 exclusive to Linux.

You heard it here first.

Reply #48 Posted: November 28, 2012, 08:28:38 am

Offline Greaver

• Just settled in
  • Greaver has no influence.
I thought you were trolling

Then I googled it

mother of god

Reply #49 Posted: November 28, 2012, 09:07:36 am