Topic: Valve Steam Box Rumors

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I just made it up

Then I googled it

mother of god

I found this;
http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=357

If it's true i'll throw my shit at Gabe Newell.

EDIT: It's fake.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/False-Half-Life-3-for-Linux-Information-Published-Online-305316.shtml

However I probably still throw my shit at Gabe Newell. Just for funs.
Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:52:44 am by Spacemonkey

Reply #50 Posted: November 28, 2012, 09:48:11 am

Offline Greaver

• Just settled in
  • Greaver has no influence.
The good news

Its all shit

The bad news

HL3 looks more uncertain than TF2 was in 2006

Reply #51 Posted: November 28, 2012, 10:02:15 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Greaver;1510171
The good news

Its all shit

The bad news

HL3 looks more uncertain than TF2 was in 2006

TBH, i'd rather have HL3 confirmed to be 'coming to Linux soon' rather then it's current status of 'fuck knows when'.

Reply #52 Posted: November 28, 2012, 10:16:54 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Fuck 3, I just want ep 3!

Reply #53 Posted: November 28, 2012, 09:04:56 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Quote from: Pyromanik;1510237
Fuck 3, I just want ep 3!

That's what I mean when I say HL3. Cause i'm cool like that.

Reply #54 Posted: November 28, 2012, 09:43:20 pm

Offline Scunner

• Addicted
  • Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...Scunner might someday be someone...
I wonder if they'll release an Episode 3 alongside Half Life 3, to continue and finish the story from Ep. 2 and then jump straight into a new story.

One can hope.

Reply #55 Posted: November 29, 2012, 10:55:22 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Many have speculated that it's been so long that they'll probably just forgo ep3. Personally I hope they don't, but like meh.

Reply #56 Posted: November 29, 2012, 07:03:12 pm

Offline Pyromanik

So big picture just come out. Seem good, few bug, but generally quite nice.

Reply #57 Posted: December 05, 2012, 08:31:23 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Seems Valve are going to release a steambox, Gabe says that they are going to release a console to compete with the next gen consoles.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/8/3744314/gabe-newell-valve-console-living-room-steam-box

Reply #58 Posted: December 10, 2012, 10:37:48 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Gabe Newell: "Windows 8 will be a disaster for games because of its closed off ecosystem."

Next minute, Valve creates steambox, a closed off ecosystem for games.
Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:03:29 am by Spacemonkey

Reply #59 Posted: December 10, 2012, 10:46:30 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Yeah that excuse of closed system windows and then announce in turn a closed system and hint at building something custom if you don't like it seems a little hypocritical.

Reply #60 Posted: December 10, 2012, 10:54:03 am

The thing with PC gaming, gamers always like to Upgrade thier PC's, for ever better gaming experiences (Better graphics, more FPS). Developers will develop thier games to scale in performace to suit peoples hardware.

With consoles, the advantage is you don't have to fuss around with upgrading, the game will run fine, and you get the same experience as everyone else. It's easier for developers, as they they only need to test one set of hardware.

There are to very distinct target audiences, and the goals for developing a game for each one is quite separate.

The issue I see with a Steambox, is that will developers need to develop thier games to be scalable, or not? The games will run on Linux, so gamers with custom Linux boxes would want the games to scale with their hardware. However, most likey with the target audince of Steambox, most people would not upgrade, and if they don't, is it worth developers maker thier games scalable?

Just a thought. Steambox blurs the line between PC and Console, which is good in someways.

Reply #61 Posted: December 10, 2012, 11:02:13 am

Offline Pyromanik

Well he is an operating systems engineer.

Reply #62 Posted: December 10, 2012, 07:42:09 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1511202
Gabe Newell: "Windows 8 will be a disaster for games because of its closed off ecosystem."

Next minute, Valve creates steambox, a closed off ecosystem for games.

Quote from: Xsannz;1511203
Yeah that excuse of closed system windows and then announce in turn a closed system and hint at building something custom if you don't like it seems a little hypocritical.

What architecture and OS do you guys think Steambox will use...? Because I would have thought it was quite obvious it is going to be Linux, which would make your comments a bit silly.

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1511205
The thing with PC gaming, gamers always like to Upgrade thier PC's, for ever better gaming experiences (Better graphics, more FPS). Developers will develop thier games to scale in performace to suit peoples hardware.

With consoles, the advantage is you don't have to fuss around with upgrading, the game will run fine, and you get the same experience as everyone else. It's easier for developers, as they they only need to test one set of hardware.

There are to very distinct target audiences, and the goals for developing a game for each one is quite separate.

The issue I see with a Steambox, is that will developers need to develop thier games to be scalable, or not? The games will run on Linux, so gamers with custom Linux boxes would want the games to scale with their hardware. However, most likey with the target audince of Steambox, most people would not upgrade, and if they don't, is it worth developers maker thier games scalable?

Just a thought. Steambox blurs the line between PC and Console, which is good in someways.

Considering Intel are going to be soldiering CPU's to the boards in the near future enthusiasts better become skilled with de-soldering pretty quickly. I think this will kill the enthusiast market much more than any steambox ever will. And besides nothing is stopping you making your own, this is just convenient for those who aren't skilled enough to make a working Linux box (i.e. 99.9% of the population).

If Valve didn't do this how successful would their move to Linux be? It's a very smart move by Valve.

So.... a dedicated gaming OS with no windows bloat and your choice of Steambox or your own hardware (if you are able) and this is a very good thing for gaming and enthusiasts should be applauding if you ask me.

It's a bit of a gamble for valve, still - they have to do something because in 10 - 15 years PC based gaming will be dead and everyone will be using their smartphones.

Reply #63 Posted: December 10, 2012, 08:44:02 pm
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: dirtyape;1511283
What architecture and OS do you guys think Steambox will use...? Because I would have thought it was quite obvious it is going to be Linux, which would make your comments a bit silly.

Considering Intel are going to be soldiering CPU's to the boards in the near future enthusiasts better become skilled with de-soldering pretty quickly. I think this will kill the enthusiast market much more than any steambox ever will. And besides nothing is stopping you making your own, this is just convenient for those who aren't skilled enough to make a working Linux box (i.e. 99.9% of the population).

If Valve didn't do this how successful would their move to Linux be? It's a very smart move by Valve.

So.... a dedicated gaming OS with no windows bloat and your choice of Steambox or your own hardware (if you are able) and this is a very good thing for gaming and enthusiasts should be applauding if you ask me.

It's a bit of a gamble for valve, still - they have to do something because in 10 - 15 years PC based gaming will be dead and everyone will be using their smartphones.

soldering is still rumoured and will only be for low end chips not enthusiast chips and or oems...

Reply #64 Posted: December 10, 2012, 08:57:02 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: Xsannz;1511285
soldering is still rumoured and will only be for low end chips not enthusiast chips and or oems...
And so it is a rumour within a rumour that it is for low end cpu's only? The only "rumour" I heard is that it is for all intel broadwell processors. Rumour or not, I would be more concerned about this game changer than I would be about a steambox.

Reply #65 Posted: December 11, 2012, 11:24:13 am

Offline Benji77

• Addicted
  • Benji77 has no influence.
From Intel:

Last week it was reported that Intel could ditch socketed processors as early as 2014. For some reason the rumour got a lot of traction and Intel was eventually forced to respond. In a chat with Maximum PC, Intel spokesman Daniel Snyder said the chipmaker will remain committed to desktop enthusiast and channel markets and that it will “continue to offer socketed parts in the LGA package for the foreseeable future for our customers and the Enthusiast DIY market.”

Reply #66 Posted: December 11, 2012, 11:36:31 am
Arrrr!!! I\'m a Pirate!

Quote from: dirtyape;1511283
Considering Intel are going to be soldiering CPU's to the boards in the near future enthusiasts better become skilled with de-soldering pretty quickly. I think this will kill the enthusiast market much more than any steambox ever will. And besides nothing is stopping you making your own, this is just convenient for those who aren't skilled enough to make a working Linux box (i.e. 99.9% of the population)

This is my point.

If 99.9% of audience of Linux games end up using a steambox which they won't be abled to upgrade. Then there is little incentive to for developers to test their games on a large range of hardware (like they have to do with windows PC gaming).

Also, they would have to give the games console like interface if they intend games to be played on the TV with a controller.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I think it's great what value are doing.

Reply #67 Posted: December 11, 2012, 11:44:20 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
Quote from: Benji77;1511329
From Intel:
We'll see how long that lasts.

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1511330
This is my point.

If 99.9% of audience of Linux games end up using a steambox which they won't be abled to upgrade. Then there is little incentive to for developers to test their games on a large range of hardware (like they have to do with windows PC gaming).

Also, they would have to give the games console like interface if they intend games to be played on the TV with a controller.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I think it's great what value are doing.
Invalid point really. There is only one hardware combination for Linux gaming at the moment anyway, so from that perspective nothing will change. Unless AMD pulls finger they are going to be left waaaaaaaaay behind. It should be the vendor that provides the drivers obviously. If they don't then what are game devs to do? Develop for hardware that works.

So, there isn't really any difference in Valve releasing a steambox or you building a Linux gaming pc - they will both use the same hardware anyway. And I think you are creating a problem where none exists, so we all use intel CPU's and Nvidia GPU's in our Steamboxs/Liunux gaming rigs. Big deal. Oh that's right there is a big deal, you will be able to get more out of your hardware because you aren't bloating your platform.

And I don't think they need to put a controller in, but they probably will. I expect to be able to use an oculus rift on it.

A dedicated PC gaming OS. How many years has it taken??? Why was this not done 10 years ago? Kudos to valve.

Reply #68 Posted: December 11, 2012, 03:06:36 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: dirtyape;1511357
So, there isn't really any difference in Valve releasing a steambox or you building a Linux gaming pc Mame Box

We used to have street fighter tournaments on these things back in the T-Cosy days!

Reply #69 Posted: December 11, 2012, 03:27:51 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
That's a nice mame frontend, all the ones I had were budget. My xbmc box had mame and some xbox360 controllers on it until it got burgled and then i never bothered setting it up again. Might have to now...

Steam/xbmc/mamebox. zomfg.

Reply #70 Posted: December 11, 2012, 04:37:59 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
AMD are working on increasing performance for Linux drivers, http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_drm38_radeon&num=1. Too little too late? AMD cards have always sucked arse on Linux, it's going to be hard to change their image. But then the majority of people that will adopt linux as their gaming platform in the future will probably have no idea of such things.

Reply #71 Posted: December 17, 2012, 10:46:10 am

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: dirtyape;1511951
AMD are working on increasing performance for Linux drivers, http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_drm38_radeon&num=1. Too little too late? AMD cards have always sucked arse on Linux, it's going to be hard to change their image. But then the majority of people that will adopt linux as their gaming platform in the future will probably have no idea of such things.

While their image is that of suck, their corporate approach is far more open, which in turn gives them credit.
If they managed to get their drivers to be as simple and reliable as nvidia's, with no drop in performance compared to windows, then they'd be be doing quite alright I'd think.

But every time they do something good they either do it far too slow or just not enough, retaining the title of sucky.

That or they leave it totally up to the community which always has that "but surely the vendor could do better" factor.

So we'll see.

Reply #72 Posted: December 17, 2012, 06:26:46 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Steam Linux now available!

With TF2, Amnesia, Serious Sam 3, Killing Floor, and a bunch of Indie games; Trine, Dungeons of dreadmore and others.

Reply #73 Posted: December 20, 2012, 09:49:28 pm

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
No need to hax0r it anymore then ;-)

Reply #74 Posted: December 21, 2012, 10:41:06 am