Topic: Get Some Natural Selection 2 Servers

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!

GetSome.co.nz | NS2  203.97.27.203:27015
Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:53:13 pm by .osiRiS

Posted: November 01, 2012, 07:34:42 pm

Offline [Paranoid]^

• I Posted!
  • [Paranoid]^ has no influence.
Hey man, loving the GetSome servers, ping is great and we're really starting to build a community.

Just a couple of quick requests for you to consider;

Could the 24 Player servers be scaled back down to 16 like they were for the first few days? The game is balanced for 6v6 clan matches so 12v12 really messes with the games intended flow; UWE themselves say 18 is the largest a server should be but 16 feels good for pubs. In addition to that the server can really choke when a 24 player game goes for nearly an hour; people often just start quitting.

The other thing is I notice there is functionality on the site for booking servers; we have roughly 20-30 people in NZ interested in getting the NSNZ clan and pug scene back up and running, and since GetSome has the best (and only?) NZ servers it would be really great if we could book and/or admin one of the servers a few times a week (and hopefully more once things get moving!).

The rookie tags seem fine to me for now, since GetSome are the only NZ servers we're all just going to play there anyway and I'd rather not scare off any genuinely new NS players.

Thanks for the 30 ping servers anyway!

~[Paranoid]^
Member of Sago
Former member of Team NZ (NS1)

Reply #1 Posted: November 13, 2012, 02:50:24 pm

Offline jukebox

• I Posted!
  • jukebox has no influence.
Reset my password to say 2 things.

1. Thanks, these are really great servers. There are a lot of bad ones so cheers.

2. Would you consider making the 16 slot ones not rookie friendly?

Reply #2 Posted: January 06, 2013, 09:25:51 pm

Codex

yeah please remove rookie tags

Reply #3 Posted: January 06, 2013, 10:31:56 pm

Offline jukebox

• I Posted!
It's fine to keep them on the 24 and the 18; gives rookies a place to practise IMO - there are a lot of new players atm thanks to steam sales.

Reply #4 Posted: January 06, 2013, 11:12:16 pm

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
  • .osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!.osiRiS is a rising star!
Rookie tags don't make any difference apart from being green.

Reply #5 Posted: January 06, 2013, 11:27:38 pm

Offline [Paranoid]^

• I Posted!
  • [Paranoid]^ has no influence.
Rookie friendly is good imo, we want new Kiwi players to feel as welcome as possible on the only local servers after all :)

Reply #6 Posted: January 07, 2013, 09:35:37 pm

Codex

Yeah this is true, although a 24p server with and one without rookie tags would be sweet, I don't mind helping people learn it but sometimes i'd like a server with pro's to make life harder :P

Reply #7 Posted: January 08, 2013, 07:56:38 am

Offline jukebox

• I Posted!
There's been an update. Have heard they don't always tell you... Not sure if that's the case or not but fyi I guess.

Reply #8 Posted: June 15, 2013, 04:02:47 pm

Offline Naughty

• I Posted!
  • Naughty has no influence.
The GetSome NS2 servers are currently a release behind the live build and need an update, I miss the good ping.

Also since I am here the ausns2 league is just starting and if any other kiwi's want to play 6v6 competitive NS2 I can make a space for my cuzzies in my team Numero Onos :friendly_wink:
add/msg me on http://steamcommunity.com/id/SmashPowered/ if you are keen

Naughty

Reply #9 Posted: September 08, 2013, 12:05:54 pm

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
Set up a server for old times sake - Flash sale price today is $3.75 hopefully some of you picked this up or are keen to start a game sometime.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/4920/

Reply #10 Posted: June 23, 2014, 12:54:00 pm

Offline Seb

• I Posted!
  • Seb has no influence.
Hello

I'm an admin from the Australian NS2 community at AusNS2.org helping oversee both the public and competitive AusNS2 communities that play this game.

I think it's great that you guys have taken an interest in hosting a server for the game, but it is seriously under-performing and causes an 'interesting' experience, especially at a sale period when there are many new players coming into the game.

http://ns2servers.devicenull.org/servers/1400391/203.97.27.203:27015

If you have a look at this link, you will see performance graphs for recent play on this server. Pretty much anything under 28-30 ticks is unacceptable to play on and turns into a bad experience for the player. High performing servers barely drop from that, even in the late game where entity counts are high. 

Now of course, I can't tell you what to do with your servers, and I know this game has hefty requirements for both server and client, but I can recommend the player count be lowered to 16 or 18 players or putting the server on a box with beefier hardware. Typically it is single core CPU performance that affects a server primarily.

Thanks for the consideration in advance.

Reply #11 Posted: June 27, 2014, 08:00:12 pm

Offline .osiRiS

• Administrator
Cheers Seb, we initially had this on a different server which was a lot newer. I had only set up the server to test with but seems our old hardware is taking a bit of a hit. Will have a chat to the others and see if we can improve things.

Reply #12 Posted: June 27, 2014, 08:14:43 pm

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
10 point to you for actually being useful instead of posting, server is shit gg.

Reply #13 Posted: June 28, 2014, 09:30:54 am
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
donations for new servers :D?

Reply #14 Posted: June 30, 2014, 09:20:57 pm

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
Na, we have some good ones, just brought it back online last night.

Most source games dont really care performance wise for public servers, but for NS2 we will put it on the good ones.

Reply #15 Posted: July 01, 2014, 10:08:44 am
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam