Topic: Internet privacy is dead.

Offline Easymeat56k

• Just settled in
  • Easymeat56k has no influence.

Reply #25 Posted: June 12, 2013, 03:09:03 pm
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Quote from: Bell;1526844
Personally i'm pretty annoyed that people seem all to willing to let massive data mining operations know everything they have ever done on the internet because they are scared of the terrorists who have less chance in killing them than they have of being struck by lightning.
How the fuck do NZers get to the point in not caring what the US does in the name of defending themselves against terrorism when NZ has barely been affected by it.
God forbid what people will be willing to give up when really under threat.

Been thinking on this and for me there are different layers to my privacy

Our personal privacy is sacrosanct, no reading my mail, wiretapping without a warrant and general fuckery when I am going about my lawful business and living my life in an open and fair democracy.

My virtual privacy I seem to have another outlook on, I don't expect the same level of privacy when I am engaging with the internet. I don't feel very comfortable with the idea that they can store everything we have done on the net but how the fuck do they commit the man power to look through it all. Surely after time "they" would have to dump old useless data.

We are debating the US coming clean about what they are doing but how many other states are doing exactly this and more and we hear nothing about it. China are committing huge resources to this type of espionage, as I'm sure is Putin.

It's 420 soon time for smoke signals :chuncky:

Reply #26 Posted: June 12, 2013, 03:29:09 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: SteddieEddie;1526918
Been thinking on this and for me there are different layers to my privacy

Our personal privacy is sacrosanct, no reading my mail, wiretapping without a warrant and general fuckery when I am going about my lawful business and living my life in an open and fair democracy.

My virtual privacy I seem to have another outlook on, I don't expect the same level of privacy when I am engaging with the internet. I don't feel very comfortable with the idea that they can store everything we have done on the net but how the fuck do they commit the man power to look through it all. Surely after time "they" would have to dump old useless data.

We are debating the US coming clean about what they are doing but how many other states are doing exactly this and more and we hear nothing about it. China are committing huge resources to this type of espionage, as I'm sure is Putin.

It's 420 soon time for smoke signals :chuncky:

Algorithms.

Picture, Al Gore playing music, and that's pretty much it.

No but seriously I was thinking on this geeking out a wee bit, I'd love to see the algorithms they're using to filter that much information, it must be super impressive.

Reply #27 Posted: June 12, 2013, 03:45:37 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
I barely have any mail or use the phone everything is done on the internet and the way things are going I won't be a minority, you personal privacy is now heavily connected to your online privacy.
Also this current leak revealed the US was wiretapping an entire customer base of one phone company.

They don't really need man power to look through it all, they can use computer algorithms to sort through it all and because they seem to have access the data centers of the other tech giants means they already have the entire worlds full history of google, facebook, gmail, hotmail and skype messages.

You say oh they will just throw away old stuff, but those tech companies don't throw away anything because you want to have access to your old communications so they keep them for you.
Think of the incredible amount of information facebook has managed to store, now consider what a group focused on collected as-much private data as possible with funding from the US government can do.
I think you underestimate the power of computer technology now and in the future.

Yes we are debating about the US coming clean because they are apparently a democracy and love to talk about freedoms etc, you can't point at authoritarian states and suggest since they are dicks we should put up the US being dicks too.
I will also point out that China and Russia don't have access to the tech giants data because they don't have the secret agreements that the the US government has.
Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:53:09 pm by Bell

Reply #28 Posted: June 12, 2013, 03:48:39 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
I barely have any mail or use the phone everything is done on the internet and the way things are going I won't be a minority, you personal privacy is now heavily connected to your online privacy.
Also this current leak revealed the US was wiretapping an entire customer base of one phone company.

They don't really need man power to look through it all, they can use computer algorithms to sort through it all when the insane data centers they are building and because they seem to have access the data centers of the other tech giants means they already have your entire google,facebook,gmail,hotmail,skype and apple emails.
So say oh they will just throw away old stuff, but those tech companies don't throw away anything because you want to have access to your old communications so they keep them for you.
Think of the incredible amount of information facebook has managed to store, now consider what a group focused on collected as-much private data as possible with funding from the US government can do.

Yes we are debating about the US coming clean because they are apparently a democracy and love to talk about freedoms etc, you can't point at authoritarian states and suggest since they are dicks we should put up the US being dicks too.

Reply #29 Posted: June 12, 2013, 03:48:54 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Data space is cheap and data takes up very little room. Basically they can keep everything for ever.

Reply #30 Posted: June 12, 2013, 04:02:48 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Someone still has to sift through it tho eh?

Reply #31 Posted: June 12, 2013, 04:05:29 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
What do you think happens when you type a google search?

Reply #32 Posted: June 12, 2013, 04:08:35 pm

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
Quote from: Bell;1526929

Magic!

Reply #33 Posted: June 12, 2013, 04:16:40 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1526929

I get all these images of naked men.

I'm a doing it wrong?

Reply #34 Posted: June 12, 2013, 04:16:43 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
lol

This is gold.

Reply #35 Posted: June 12, 2013, 05:11:19 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
  • PrinceTuiTeka has no influence.
Quote from: SteddieEddie;1526927
Someone still has to sift through it tho eh?

Sift through it? They arent printing it and using highlighters here. Its electronic data. Think ctrl F on a huge scale.

Reply #36 Posted: June 12, 2013, 05:20:09 pm

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.

Reply #37 Posted: June 15, 2013, 11:32:54 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Interesting.

http://prism-break.org/

It seems now is a very opportune moment for anyone with a fledgling social network to pounce and grab some market share with the simple "NSA/PRISM free" statement

Reply #38 Posted: June 15, 2013, 11:58:32 am

Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1527154
Interesting.

It seems now is a very opportune moment for anyone with a fledgling social network to pounce and grab some market share with the simple "NSA/PRISM free" statement

I already use Bitcoin to buy all my illegal drugs.

Reply #39 Posted: June 15, 2013, 01:39:37 pm

Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1527154
Interesting.

Would I be correct in assuming that criminals would gravitate to these alternatives as a way to hide their activities. Just a guess really.

But if it were the case, then the security agencies should be more interested in these alternatives in an attempt to "catch the bad guys", although it would be far more difficult to do so due to encryption and the like, there would also be less data to go through because of their small market share. Just a theory I had.

'Opt out of PRISM' is a misnomer, I'm sure all those alternatives are targeted as well, the data would be just harder to sift though.

Reply #40 Posted: June 17, 2013, 02:55:55 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
"Opt out of PRISM" - use an open source browser and get your traffic tracked rather than using a close source browser and getting your traffic tracked.
derp derp derp derp derp

Reply #41 Posted: June 17, 2013, 06:31:55 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
I have to laugh at the invasion of privacy outrage, if Echelon is anything to go by, commercial espionage and stealing technology would be the big targets for PRISM.

Reply #42 Posted: June 17, 2013, 09:09:10 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
I don't think it's laughable since there a big difference between PRISM and well known intercept methods.
Taking data from the destination bypasses encryption so noone can be sure their communications are secure.
Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:23:03 am by Bell

Reply #43 Posted: June 18, 2013, 12:20:46 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Thats not why its laughable. It's laughable because peoples shitty life details, as disturbing and sick as they probably are, wouldn't be of much interest compared to commercial information on deals and new technology.

Reply #44 Posted: June 19, 2013, 09:56:20 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Black Heart;1527358
Thats not why its laughable. It's laughable because peoples shitty life details, as disturbing and sick as they probably are, wouldn't be of much interest compared to commercial information on deals and new technology.

no kidding, but while you're at it you might as well grab everybodies details?

Reply #45 Posted: June 19, 2013, 11:35:34 am

The original story was quite misleading. The NSA doesn't have direct access to the companies (Microsoft, Google) servers. The companies will provide information if requested as per the law, but they have said themselves this is only a small fraction of the total data they have.

They could be lying, but I don't see how it is in their benefit to do so.

Reply #46 Posted: June 19, 2013, 12:07:33 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
The higher ups have security clearance and by law can't talk about the details.

Reply #47 Posted: June 19, 2013, 06:30:52 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: Black Heart;1527358

If they have the capability I don't see why they wouldn't store all of that shit. You might not care if you have no plans to become someone of note/power but i'm pretty sure groups like the CIA would love to have private details in their pockets when dealing with politicians or international business men.

Reply #48 Posted: June 19, 2013, 06:37:13 pm