Topic: Mailchimp

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
just starting to use mailchimp for emailing a database but am having some issues, mainly with the alignment of text boxes (not being centred etc).
Anyone here a baws at this stuff?
Is there perhaps a better program? It seems pretty easy and elegant but this problem is really frustrating!

Posted: January 21, 2014, 10:37:00 am

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Hey dude, I do the 1999 coding for Mailchimp for us. It's not Mailchimp that is the issue, it's the fact Outlook is horrible and uses Word markup to render emails, which is a fantastic garble of crap html and other unmentionables. Gmail is different again, Thunderbird also different, and let's just not talk about Hotmail/Outlook.com and Yahoo mail...

Either way, don't get fancy with the emails, being really basic is the best way, and think horrible code. Like tables within tables within tables...

Reply #1 Posted: January 21, 2014, 10:46:27 am
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
Is there perhaps a better program?

Mailchimp really is the best solution if you can keep your mailing list under their paywall.

Simple is good like Arsey said. Single columns will make your life easier too.

Reply #2 Posted: January 21, 2014, 10:50:37 am

lol @ console hate

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
Hey dude, I do the 1999 coding for Mailchimp for us. It's not Mailchimp that is the issue, it's the fact Outlook is horrible and uses Word markup to render emails, which is a fantastic garble of crap html and other unmentionables. Gmail is different again, Thunderbird also different, and let's just not talk about Hotmail/Outlook.com and Yahoo mail...

Either way, don't get fancy with the emails, being really basic is the best way, and think horrible code. Like tables within tables within tables...

Cheers for the replies. Its not the inbox bit I was having trouble with, it was trying to get all the text boxes the correct size in Mailchimp itself. Some text boxes with images were offset to one side slightly against the other text boxes and images in the body of the project (did that make sense?) which really bugs the ocd side of me.

I sorted it out (kinda), I think when I was entering images they were an incorrect size. I was setting them at about 580 width, however when I dropped them to 500 everything lined up.
What is the maximum image width I should go to without upsetting everything?
I am def using single column too! It is by far the easiest.

I like the program, from a nub pov it is really easy to use and it looks good.

Reply #3 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:06:29 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!

Although I myself know little of Mail Chimp - our Marketing ladies use it a lot, they said the 2 things to check are:

Picture sizes

and when formating - format directly in the Source file is the best way to avoid issues

Cheers for the replies. Its not the inbox bit I was having trouble with, it was trying to get all the text boxes the correct size in Mailchimp itself. Some text boxes with images were offset to one side slightly against the other text boxes and images in the body of the project (did that make sense?) which really bugs the ocd side of me.

I sorted it out (kinda), I think when I was entering images they were an incorrect size. I was setting them at about 580 width, however when I dropped them to 500 everything lined up.

Reply #4 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:27:17 am

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!

Try to stick to about 600px wide - it's a good standard to adhere to as it means mobile viewers aren't zooming in to read text with a giant width email as well as if you view email on a pane within Outlook (as an example) 600px will easily fit for most users on smaller screens as well as larger.

I'm happy to post up my code for the "Come Getsome.co.nz" email I did if it will help to see how you're going, or if you just want to compare/critique.

Reply #5 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:36:25 am

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member

Try to stick to about 600px wide - it's a good standard to adhere to as it means mobile viewers aren't zooming in to read text with a giant width email as well as if you view email on a pane within Outlook (as an example) 600px will easily fit for most users on smaller screens as well as larger.

I'm happy to post up my code for the "Come Getsome.co.nz" email I did if it will help to see how you're going, or if you just want to compare/critique.

Na should be all gravy now thanks.
One more question, should I resize the image prior to uploading it or let MC do it?

Reply #6 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:40:09 am

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
Na should be all gravy now thanks.
One more question, should I resize the image prior to uploading it or let MC do it?

Do it yourself - more of a quality thing from my perspective (you eliminate a potential problem source, and don't have rendering issues). But I've been trained by prolax for too long on how shit should look nice.

Reply #7 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:47:40 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Expected a thread about Spacemonkey. Disappointed. Spacemonkey strikes again.

Reply #8 Posted: January 21, 2014, 06:40:54 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.