Topic: Best most scenic place to stay in CHCh for a week

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

• 420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!
Ideas? Especially if part of the party has never been to south island before, I dont really know CHCH too well so need suggestions

Can be hotel/bach or serviced apartment around new years (i know shit timing) semi close to chch central but also not too close

Posted: October 16, 2014, 01:47:22 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
What do you mean? Nice architecture or nice view? Nice views are hard because there's only one hill in Christchurch - and it's all residential except maybe a BnB or two. Or maybe the George (for river view).

I suppose all the big hotels in the city will have nice views from the upper storeys.

Nicest architecture, probably the Heritage (smack bang in the Cathedral Square), across the road is the Novotel (just revamped). Close by the new Rydges on Latimer Square.

There's also http://www.elizas.co.nz/ on Bealey ave? 

Other than that, probably best to head out to Sumner or something?

Reply #1 Posted: October 16, 2014, 02:11:08 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
My bed.. Ohhhhh yeah :-P

Like Tandoori says ChCh is mostly flat so there isn't much in the way of scenic views lol.

Reply #2 Posted: October 16, 2014, 02:26:06 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
My bed.. Ohhhhh yeah :-P

I don't think there is a parralel universe where that could be considered a scenic place.....

Reply #3 Posted: October 16, 2014, 03:39:25 pm

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

• 420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!
like coastal or alps scenery not too keen for concrete jungle tbh i get enough of that here in aucks. may have some girlfriends coming from PA but may have to settle for a pimp place in town

Reply #4 Posted: October 16, 2014, 09:47:14 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
Yeah, but nah. The alps are quite far away; you'll only see them clearly from an elevated vantage point really or on the South-western edge of town (Hornby). The distance from chch to the alps is the same as the Viaduct to Wellsford.

Fuck all going along the coast because earthquake (unless you head Akaroa ways).

Reply #5 Posted: October 16, 2014, 10:38:44 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Wellington

Reply #6 Posted: October 17, 2014, 12:53:01 am

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

no way to wellington lol no way

Reply #7 Posted: October 17, 2014, 01:02:05 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Sumner, but ... landslides and shit. IDK. The George IMO. It's around the corner from my old place, right over from the park (less concrete jungleish), central, just winning. Dunno about price range though.

My old place was amazing. But it's more permenant.

That said there were plenty of places to stay around it. BnB's, the youth hostel (not too shabby from what I saw) on the corner of Hereford St. and Rolleston Ave.

I think there are still BnB's and stuff active on the streets going north from that point. Maybe some on Worchester, there's brownies or whatever it's called up on Dorset, that could be quite comfortable and within range (but again unsure).
Central city actually has quite a few options when you think about it (apposed to the general picture most hold of 'doughnut city').

Park is amazing with botanic gardens and stuff. Nice place to stay without being too pressured by daily rat-race.

Reply #8 Posted: October 17, 2014, 07:17:49 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Oh and by youth hostel I mean YHA or something like that. I'd probably investigate that. Fancy resturant in the base, gym, separate rooms (afaik, not sure), probably isn't all too bad really.

Reply #9 Posted: October 17, 2014, 10:46:55 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.