Topic: Overseas purchasing

Offline kruz

• Game Server Admin
  • kruz has no influence.
I am keen to hear who buys stuff from the interwebz,, specifically, off-shore.

I have used DX.com for 2 years, and am about to ditch them like a labour party welfare policy
I have found Ali-Express, and it seems ok, I have done a couple of trial purchases, and waiting to see the result.

The litmus test seems to be, a test order of some Li-Ion batteries, and see if they arrive, because DX.com. cannot seem to get them out of the country lately.

The bulk of my purchases are electronic / electrical in nature, such as mountian bike lights, torches, 18650 Li-Ion batteries / packs. I am looking at SJ4000 "go-pro" look alikes on Ali, and they seem ok.

What other big buy sites are there, that isn't e-Bay?

Any input on topic, will be appreciated.

Posted: November 16, 2014, 07:29:49 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Have you actually saved much money in purchasing like this? What happens if the electronic item is DOA, can you return it?

Reply #1 Posted: November 16, 2014, 07:55:50 pm

Offline Quantum

• Game Server Admin
  • Quantum has no influence.
Shipping LiPo’s to New Zealand has really toughened up this year. Late last year Hong Kong post official changed the rules and specifications for shipping them out of the country. They are really strict on capacity they will send any package back to the supplier if it exceeds the mill ampere-hour or if it’s not packaged properly. And they do check every parcel.

I don’t think you can ship via the normal cheap registered parcels that get sent through Sing-post and HK post etc... or if you can the wattage rating would be very small.

I shipped some potent LiPo’s via FedEx international priority. And it was actually 40 cents cheaper than standard post not sure if they messed up because EMS shipping is usually super expensive. Anyhow it arrived in 5 days pretty quick but FedEx had inspected the entire parcel and tapped it all back up.

For go-pro type clones I have a mobius camera not a clone but still fairly comparable to the go-pro it has some mixed reviews but there are plenty out there you can find and read. I purchased my mobius of Ali they are nice a cheap but a decent memory card is needed as I found the the micro SD card I purchased of Ali became corrupted and then died after maybe 2 days use so I put a genuine card in and haven’t had problems since. I have seen a blatant go-pro clone called the HD action camera made by Turnigy / Hexatronic you can find it on Hobby King.

Reply #2 Posted: November 16, 2014, 08:37:33 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.
I purchase ~90% of my clothing and footwear from online shops like asos.com.  It's much, much cheaper than shopping at home. Partly because of the GST (I have never been charged GST for an online order), but also because the cost-structures work out much better the the larger scale of online stores.
The only things I purchase here in NZ are suits and business-wear because of sizing.

I also have purchased lots of camera gear, like light stands etc from eBay, simply because the availability isn't great here at home.

For electronics, mainly I purchase domestically because of warranty issues.

Reply #3 Posted: November 16, 2014, 08:39:43 pm

Offline kruz

• Game Server Admin
  • kruz has no influence.
On average, the items I have purchased, have been about 60% cheaper than buying locally. I like to support NZ made, it's always my preference. On the other hand, I don't like paying ridiculous prices either.

Here is an item I have purchased in the past.

NZ Cost
http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Sports_Outdoors/TrustFire-TR-801-Cree-R2-LED-300-Lumen-5-Modes-Memory-Flashlight-Torch-18650/0608702560565

Overseas cost
http://www.dx.com/p/trustfire-tr-801-cree-q5-wc-230-lumen-led-flashlight-1-18650-13095#.VGhUmcmjFhE
I paid $11.00 NZD delivered to my doorstep from DX , when the exchange rate was better.

Thanks Quantum, I will check that out, and yes, I noticed they tightened up on LiPo and Li-Ion this yeat too, before that, my mate Steve was buiying brincks of 25-50 TrustFire Blue 2200mah Li-Ions, to make battery packs for mtb lights, and they would show up in 3-4 weeks easy.  I ordered a bike light for my sons bike, that included a 4-cell 18650 batt pack, I did that on 22nd July this year....it arrived last week.

Thanks Tandoori, I have to buy local for clothes, I am a bit on the large side, and it's hard enough finding stuff in town, but I am tempted constantly :P . I am a bit that way electronics wise too. I bought a cheap 7" tablet off DX about 3 years back, and it's been fine, but I kind of have a self imposed 100.00 limit on electronics for exactly the same reason you mentioned.
Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:48:05 pm by kruz

Reply #4 Posted: November 16, 2014, 08:40:07 pm

Offline Quantum

• Game Server Admin
  • Quantum has no influence.
Have you actually saved much money in purchasing like this? What happens if the electronic item is DOA, can you return it?
You do save quite a bit, but it depends on the item you are after. For example most sellers on Ali offer free shipping in fact it's hard to find many that wont offer free shipping but it does take about 3 weeks.

The sellers handle DOA claims really well as it affects their reputation badly and companies like Ali don't take kindly to sellers that don't resolve disputes properly as they simply remove the rights for the seller to trade so the sellers are usually very kind.

Ali Express payments are very safe it's like a better version of Pay Pal the funds go into a temporary account and don't get released until you have received the product and are happy with and fill out an on-line feedback form of the purchase so it's basically impossible to get scammed if you receive a DOA.

But if you do receive a DOA product then the seller usually ask you to ship it back at your own cost or video the DOA product from there you can request a replacement of refund.
Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:53:16 pm by Quantum

Reply #5 Posted: November 16, 2014, 08:46:04 pm

Offline kruz

• Game Server Admin
  • kruz has no influence.
Yeah, I have had no DOA's in 2-3 years, so I am among the lucky ones I think.

I got an Mtb Hydration pack earlier this year, from www.wildearth.com.au , and they sent the wrong colour. I emailed them in the morning when it arrived, by the end of that day, they had the correct one on an express courier to me, and I got to keep the incorrect one. Service like that, just makes you want to find more things to buy from them  :P
Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:56:32 pm by kruz

Reply #6 Posted: November 16, 2014, 08:54:15 pm

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
I have heard fishpond are really shit, still wait weeks to receive the item, that must mean they are based in the states or uk?

misses is hooked on ali, shes got a lot of shit from there real cheap, doesn't mind waiting 4 weeks, sometimes 2, for stuff to arrive at 6.30pm from courierpost. convenience...maybe.

haven't gone as far as getting something electronic though. I like some of the watches they have on ali.

Reply #7 Posted: November 16, 2014, 11:14:22 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Regularly buy from DX, Aliexpress, and Ebay (often via Youshop)

Almost never had issues.

Reply #8 Posted: November 17, 2014, 08:38:34 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Another one i use is dhgate. Mainly to buy phones/tablets, but they have a huge range, and a consistently much faster to ship than DX.

Reply #9 Posted: November 17, 2014, 09:54:33 am

Offline kruz

• Game Server Admin
  • kruz has no influence.
Thanks Toofast, I will check that out. On the surface, it's looks like an AliEx clone, but probably just the standardised software package.

Just got my first Ali-Ex delivery. Ordered 2-11, arrived 17-11. Not too shabby. The shirt I bought is so cool, my whole family have threatened to steal it. Love the shirt !.

Reply #10 Posted: November 17, 2014, 07:59:41 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
the reason for the Li-Po shipping issues is to do with changes in the air freight carriage rules imposed by the IATA - there is a specific energy density above in which airlines wont ship, just incase the batteries get damaged in freight - and catch fire.

Reply #11 Posted: November 17, 2014, 10:04:08 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline kruz

• Game Server Admin
  • kruz has no influence.
Okay, I have shut down my DX account, because Ali-Express makes them look like a pack of lazy rogues. I will not shop at DX ever again. My 3rd AliEx order has arrived,and they are taking on average, 12 - 14 days, when DX take 6 weeks.

Thank you to those of you who mentioned Ali-Ex.

Reply #12 Posted: November 27, 2014, 09:26:43 pm