Topic: Winning the monkey race.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
There are many inactive users, many who only have a couple of posts and probably haven't posted in ages.

How hard would it be the cull them? Or is that not possible.

Posted: December 09, 2014, 08:19:05 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I suggested culling everyone inative for X years and under x posts years ago.. still hasn't happened :-P

Reply #1 Posted: December 09, 2014, 08:58:05 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I suggested culling everyone inactive for 1 day and under 3000 posts years ago.. still hasn't happened :-P

Please action the above request.
Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:02:17 pm by Spacemonkeyorsarus

Reply #2 Posted: December 09, 2014, 09:00:31 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
DELETE FROM GetSome.Users WHERE name like '%monkey%';

Actioned...

Reply #3 Posted: December 09, 2014, 09:07:49 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!

Actioned...
I didnt realize "Winning the monkey race" meant "Genociding the monkey race"
Carry on then. Make sure you dont catch Ebola or something

Reply #4 Posted: December 10, 2014, 08:48:51 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Actioned...
I didnt realize "Winning the monkey race" meant "Genociding the monkey race"
Carry on then. Make sure you dont catch Ebola or something

You only catch Ebola from eating monkeys. Not from being one. Or something...

Reply #5 Posted: December 10, 2014, 08:58:08 am

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
I dont understand why, some accounts are made for things like when XLAN was a thing, and when events eventually come back having an account might be useful.

Its not hard to remove the old accounts, and we removed the ones with 0 posts back when you asked, but the ones with 1 or more posts make the forum messier as you cant retain (from memory) who posted if the account is deleted in a mass delete.

Reply #6 Posted: December 10, 2014, 10:26:35 am
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Just make sure you get rid of that imposter Spacemonkeyorsarus.

He must have done away with the original Spacemonkey.

Poor little guy, he never did anyone any harm.

Reply #7 Posted: December 10, 2014, 04:45:07 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
I dont understand why, some accounts are made for things like when XLAN was a thing, and when events eventually come back having an account might be useful.

Its not hard to remove the old accounts, and we removed the ones with 0 posts back when you asked, but the ones with 1 or more posts make the forum messier as you cant retain (from memory) who posted if the account is deleted in a mass delete.

it breaks the foreign key constraint :), nah i don't actually know but i suspect deleting users with a nominal amount of posts who are inactive would do something horrible with the posts that exists for those users... like error out thread pages or error the username section of the posts, probably something you want to try by having a dummy account fire up a few posts and then delete the user and see what happens.

Reply #8 Posted: December 11, 2014, 06:45:00 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
@ Lias you are the worst, there are reasons we don't let everybody loose in the DB backend, you would just fuck up the backend.. and yes that was an entendre just for you.

for the number of people at work who destroy the DB by just deleting stuff they don't think about and then wonder why they have spectacular untraceable front end errors.

Reply #9 Posted: December 11, 2014, 06:46:44 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
Just have a maintenance procedure that assigns any post that doesn't match a valid user ID to a special system user ID that's called "Deleted User" or something.

I've seen other forum software have a generic deleted user showing for posts before, how hard can it be.

Reply #10 Posted: December 11, 2014, 09:05:26 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
@ Lias you are the worst, there are reasons we don't let everybody loose in the DB backend, you would just fuck up the backend.. and yes that was an entendre just for you.

for the number of people at work who destroy the DB by just deleting stuff they don't think about and then wonder why they have spectacular untraceable front end errors.

rm -rf / *

Amidoinitrite?

Reply #11 Posted: December 11, 2014, 09:19:54 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator

Reply #12 Posted: December 11, 2014, 09:42:11 am

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
1) Identify old users
2) Create "Archive" user
3) Assign all references from old shitty users to new "Archive" user
4) Delete all old shitty users

/Clean.

Reply #13 Posted: December 11, 2014, 09:48:52 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
1) Identify old users
2) Create "Archive" user
3) Assign all references from old shitty users to new "Archive" user
4) Delete all old shitty users

/Clean.

I never said it couldn't be done, only half the world doesn't and then breaks something.

I better do it since my day job is this, better not let DV or Craig do it..  or we will all get a 404 error and be plunged into  darkness

Reply #14 Posted: December 11, 2014, 11:40:57 am

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
i suspect deleting users with a nominal amount of posts who are inactive would do something horrible with the posts that exists for those users... like error out thread pages or error the username section of the posts

That doesn't happen, their username is also recorded in the posts table against the post, so if the user ID cannot be found, their historical name is still displayed, but there is no link to their profile and it shows up as a 'guest' user.

Reply #15 Posted: December 15, 2014, 09:52:50 am
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
i suspect deleting users with a nominal amount of posts who are inactive would do something horrible with the posts that exists for those users... like error out thread pages or error the username section of the posts

That doesn't happen, their username is also recorded in the posts table against the post, so if the user ID cannot be found, their historical name is still displayed, but there is no link to their profile and it shows up as a 'guest' user.

then we could then remove nominal fringe users..  such as LIAS

Reply #16 Posted: December 15, 2014, 10:25:08 am

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Stop flapping about it, and do it yo!

Reply #17 Posted: December 15, 2014, 11:00:41 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
  • trololololo barely matters.trololololo barely matters.
Just randomly assign the orphaned posts to users your going to retain; and do it on the production DB, what could go wrong.

Reply #18 Posted: December 15, 2014, 12:55:12 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
Just randomly assign the orphaned posts to users your going to retain; and do it on the production DB, what could go wrong.

Oh you, your the reason i have a job where i do...

Reply #19 Posted: December 15, 2014, 01:32:06 pm

Remember to not take a backup, and do it during the busiest time of the day.

Reply #20 Posted: December 15, 2014, 02:09:56 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!

the scary part is - I do that alot because we have to.....

Reply #21 Posted: December 15, 2014, 02:20:35 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted

or provide an out of date 6 month old backup when you do go to restore it after a fuckup

Reply #22 Posted: December 16, 2014, 07:12:46 am

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
  • trololololo barely matters.trololololo barely matters.

Not a problem, How's those recent HCS releases going there Xsannz.

Reply #23 Posted: December 16, 2014, 08:10:39 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted

Not a problem, How's those recent HCS releases going there Xsannz.

Cough.. yeah about that check your PM, to much detail to be on here

Reply #24 Posted: December 16, 2014, 08:59:10 am