Topic: Is VDSL worth it?

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
We wont be getting fibre till sometime next year.

While our current connect is fine for gaming, I'm interested in finding out if getting VDSL would be worth it. We watch Netflix a lot so it would be useful there.

With Orcon, the VDSL plan is an extra $10, which I would be happy to pay if I got a decent speed increase. But from what I understand, VDSL won't necessarily always give a better speed then normal ADSL.

Anyone have VDSL? What would you recommend?

Posted: March 10, 2015, 02:14:51 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
We wont be getting fibre till sometime next year.

While our current connect is fine for gaming, I'm interested in finding out if getting VDSL would be worth it. We watch Netflix a lot so it would be useful there.

With Orcon, the VDSL plan is an extra $10, which I would be happy to pay if I got a decent speed increase. But from what I understand, VDSL won't necessarily always give a better speed then normal ADSL.

Anyone have VDSL? What would you recommend?

Yes

It depends on distance from Exchange (or the Cabinet) if you are within the Golden Km, then yes VDSL will give a good improvement - I am 40 Mbit down / 10 up - we have a lot of customers at work who are too big for ADSL, but not big enough for Fibre and VDSL is a very good interim option

Reply #1 Posted: March 10, 2015, 02:41:41 pm

Offline ArtanisNZ

• Addicted
  • ArtanisNZ has no influence.
I'm with Orcon for VDSL, i mainly got it for the upload speed alone, VDSL is only good if you are really close to your exchange.

You'll find the chorus have locked the upload to 10357kbps

Reply #2 Posted: March 10, 2015, 02:43:25 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
How do I find out how far I am from the Exchange/Cabinet?

Can I assume that if the Chorus website says VDSL is available at my place, then I will be within the distance?
Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:49:20 pm by Sire NZ CH Spacemonkey

Reply #3 Posted: March 10, 2015, 02:47:03 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
In general Fibre > Vodafone Cable > VDSL > ADSL, so yeah if you can't get the first two, get VDSL.

Reply #4 Posted: March 10, 2015, 02:54:16 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
How do I find out how far I am from the Exchange/Cabinet?

Can I assume that if the Chorus website says VDSL is available at my place, then I will be within the distance?

If the Chorus map says it is availible then you will be less than 1 km from Exchange

Reply #5 Posted: March 10, 2015, 03:34:58 pm

If the Chorus map says it is availible then you will be less than 1 km from Exchange

Giggity!

Reply #6 Posted: March 10, 2015, 03:58:06 pm

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
It's definately worth it, have been on VDSL for last 18 months.

With the right ISP, you wont pay anymore for VDSL either.

Reply #7 Posted: March 11, 2015, 10:17:24 pm
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
I've been on vdsl for just over a year, got voip as well. most of my download speeds have been hitting around 1.3mb/s and staying at that point, compaired to adsl where it was up and down like crazy.

I made an inquiry with my isp about getting UFB, as i'm in 'The home of the Gig' lol. Chorus site says its available in my area, my neighbor over the road just had it installed, from the same pole we use, and I hit up the techies at the time and they said it's all go.
The isp response was, they don't have the handover yet to get me on it. still a few months away. that shit fucks me off, I bet the guy over the road is with telecom...oh, i mean shark.. :S

Reply #8 Posted: March 11, 2015, 10:33:35 pm

Offline ArtanisNZ

• Addicted
  • ArtanisNZ has no influence.
Just got my new router for my gigity install... must be soon i guess

Reply #9 Posted: March 20, 2015, 04:58:46 pm