Topic: Camera n00b LF SLR

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
So I'm going to Europe in June.

I will probably find myself taking photos. Hence will be buying a camera.

Mostly in urban areas, with the odd grassy lump of earth. I will be packing relatively lightly, so only want to take one lens with me.

My camera experience includes (but not limited to):
- Random pictures of me on camera phones
- Flies humping on walls (http://iforce.co.nz/i/famg3niz.kwg.jpg)

My experience (sadly?) does not include:
- Cam whoring on /b/
- Instagram-ing pictures of my food

I have no issues with getting a mirror-less system, but I also don't want to look like a hipster.

Budget circa: $1500 for body + lens. The accessories I will not include in the budget, as they are a given

:)
Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:45:00 am by Xenolightning

Posted: April 06, 2013, 08:51:32 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
I have a Sony and it works. Hope this helps.

Reply #1 Posted: April 06, 2013, 08:54:54 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Sorry mate, I can't help you

But swindle can

Quote from: swindle;1464398
It has manual controls bro.

And a viewfinder, albeit 89% frame coverage.

Use them.

Here, this will help.

Reply #2 Posted: April 06, 2013, 11:03:52 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Do you want a full DSLR or a smaller camera like a Nex which is DSLR like, same controls, smaller setup, great picture quality.

Have a look through these.

http://www.photowarehouse.co.nz/digital-mirrorless/

The SOny Nex have been a real great camera, superb video as well. The dual lens kit would be about the same size as a stadard DSLR + 1 lens.

Size & mobility go nex, want something bigger go for a Sony a65 kit, nikon d5200 kit, canon 650d kit,.

And finally, if weather, dust, rain could be an issue etc. Then get the Pentax K30  18-135wr kit for a nice $1700. Is a great wee camera and superb low light camera too. The cheapest fully weather sealed DSLR + Lens you will get.

Reply #3 Posted: April 07, 2013, 01:04:56 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
@Growlerpants

I don't really mind, but I like the idea of not carrying something massive. I will be packing quite lightly.

Even with a mirrorless I'd probably only take one lens. Or maybe a pancake lens and a full size

I was looking at the D5100/5200 kit, heard good things about it.

I probably won't be taking videos, and this won't change in the future. So I don't need any fancy video features.
Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:04:56 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #4 Posted: April 07, 2013, 02:47:36 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
KK, if 1 lens, do a comparison of the 5200 with 18-105 and the K30 with 18-135.

in the end they all take photos, use same controls etc. The nikon, sony and pentax all use Sony sensors, and in this price bracket are slightly better performers than canon (mainly in the low light area)

Hold them, make sure they are comfortable in your hand, not too big or small etc. Last thing you want to do is buy a camera cos it has a name on it and find it uncomfortable.

http://www.photo.co.nz (chch shop)

Nikon D5200 + AF-S 18-55mm VR kit                 $1350.00 (you can prob get a deal on the body + 18-105 VR for round $1500)
Pentax K30 + 18-135mm WR kit                   $1755.00
Canon EOS 650D + EFS18-135mm IS ST                 $1675.00
Sony Alpha A65 +18-55+55-200mm SLTA65VY                 $1790.00

Just a few things of note to consider as well.

The pentax and Sony have IN BODY stabilization, which means no matter what lens you buy in the future, no matter how old (old pentax and zeiss glass is stunning) they will be stabilized.

The Canon and nikon if you want a stabilized lens, you have to buy it in the lens, so old glass is NOT stabilised, and new lenses onle have versions of them (nikon = VR canon = IS?)

The nikon 51/200 does NOT have an internal focus motor, which means old glass that needs in body focus motor will be manual focus only. The 7000/7100 has this.

The crop factor on the Nikon, sony & pentax = 1.5 so a lense that is 18 - 105 is actually a 27-157.5mm
The crop factor on the canon = 1.6 so a lense that is 18 - 105 is actually a 29 - 168

So, if weather is a possible issue, consider the pentax, if not, then really, go have a play with all of them if you can and pick from there.

Reply #5 Posted: April 07, 2013, 04:20:01 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
HOKAY, after researching it most of yesterday.

I'd like to go mirrorless, but they seem to be quite expensive for the picture quality. I'd also like manual controls, which doesn't help the price.

I narrowed it down to:
- Nex 6
- Panasonic G5
- Nikon 1 V2

For full blown SLRs:
- 650D
- A65
- A57

Thoughts?

Reply #6 Posted: April 08, 2013, 08:10:32 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline deadmeatwalking

• Devoted Member
  • deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.deadmeatwalking is a force to reckon with.
fuji-x100 that is all ... kgo

Reply #7 Posted: April 08, 2013, 08:56:47 am

Offline Growler

A65 or Nex 6.

A65 has built in GPS for tagging etc too.

Reply #8 Posted: April 08, 2013, 09:31:27 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Growler

Reply #9 Posted: April 08, 2013, 09:34:58 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
Quote from: deadmeatwalking;1522837
fuji-x100 that is all ... kgo

"Don't want to look like a hipster" :-P
Quote from: Growler;1522840
A65 or Nex 6.

A65 has built in GPS for tagging etc too.

GPS tagging can sucks my balls. It is more annoying than useful I swear.
Quote from: Growler;1522842
This

http://einfo.co.nz/shop/sony-alpha-slta65-body-special-p-23968.html

plus this

http://einfo.co.nz/shop/sigma-1770mm-f284-dc-macro-os-hsm-p-7337.html

Go now and prosper my little one!

But I want a nex6 :(

Reply #10 Posted: April 08, 2013, 10:51:15 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Growler

hahah then go Nex 6.

Main difference is the A65 opens you to the world of old Sony, zeiss & minolta/konica minolta glass. Some of which are still regarded the best in the range.

Reply #11 Posted: April 08, 2013, 11:40:37 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
Quote from: Growler;1522850
hahah then go Nex 6.

Main difference is the A65 opens you to the world of old Sony, zeiss & minolta/konica minolta glass. Some of which are still regarded the best in the range.
Nex6 has an optional adapter to use all Sony Glass.

Reply #12 Posted: April 08, 2013, 12:19:10 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Growler

Cool!

Now go hold a Nex6 and a A65, 2 completely differn't beasts for about the same price! Feel their knobs in your hand, cup it gently, imagine stroking holding it for hours at a time.

I know some people complain about the Nexs being very front heavy, but you being a wild furious masterbater will have a wrist of steel so that shouldn't matter.

Reply #13 Posted: April 08, 2013, 12:36:15 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Travel? Nex ftw.

I'd drag my big old heavy 7D across the world, but if you're not planning to expand into becoming a "photographer" per say, then the Nex would suit well for what you're after.

Personally I'd take the X100, however.

Reply #14 Posted: April 08, 2013, 01:02:17 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
Looks like the Nex-6 is the winner.

I popped down to photowarehouse today at lunch, since its only a 2 min walk. Had a chat with one of the guys in there and picked up the A65, Nex-6, D650.

As GrowlDawg mentioned the Nex-6 is quite hefty, even more so than the A65. I do like that though, as I have large masty hands, and it feels like I'm actually holding something.

A65; a nice camera, seemed a little plasticky in comparison to the 650D and the Nex6, a little bit of a turn off. But felt nice looking through the VF.

Another option: http://www.photowarehouse.co.nz/oly-om-d-e-m5-16mp-14-42mm-kit-black/, supposedly a REALLY nice camera, slightly above budget, but meh

Reply #15 Posted: April 08, 2013, 03:48:00 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Growler

Sony solely for ongoing lens compatibility if you can get a a-mount converter

Reply #16 Posted: April 08, 2013, 03:57:05 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
OMD > Everything else you've looked at. Love that thing. Would have mentioned it had I known the price was so good now. We still move it at 2k :/

Reply #17 Posted: April 08, 2013, 04:54:58 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
Like I told you on vent, A65 is boss, because thats what I have. I don't want to sound like a bias fanboy, but I went through what you are now. Looked at NEX (was only nex5 and 7 then) and decided on the A65.

Reasons I ended up going with A65 over Nex
- Nex still needs 80% the space of an SLR, plus you will prob get a bag for it anyway, so you don't save on that much space.
- Holding it, you are still going to hold the nex the same way you would an slr, but the slr is going to be more ergonomic (there is a reason why cameras are shaped the way they are)
- Lens compatibility, sure you can get a converter for the nex so it can take alpha mount lenses, but its just going to make the nex more bulky and awkward than a standard slr

There are probably other reasons but I am unable to think of them right now.

Reply #18 Posted: April 08, 2013, 06:16:28 pm

Offline Growler

OMD is a M4/3, smaller sensor, do not want.

Reply #19 Posted: April 08, 2013, 06:22:08 pm
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline swindle

OMD is weather sealed and can take a battery grip.

Sensor is smaller, but it still does really well.

Reply #20 Posted: April 08, 2013, 07:14:50 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
ARE YOU GUYS READY FOR A QUICK QUESTION?

Is taking a photo without a tripod quite hard, or is it a skill that needs to be picked up, or just something a lot of people will never be able to do?

BOOM.

I have no clue as I don't think I've ever used a good camera... at least not properly.

Reply #21 Posted: April 08, 2013, 07:27:23 pm

Offline swindle

Just depends on what you are trying to do/capture.

Reply #22 Posted: April 08, 2013, 07:37:13 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
Tripod and its need depends on what you are shooting. In short, low light (night, dusk, dawn), tripod is better, but not always required.

Why do you like battery grips so much swindle? Swapping batteries is easy as, and I don't miss shots while I am swapping the battery.

Reply #23 Posted: April 08, 2013, 07:38:19 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Guess I need to save up 2 grand for a camera system :P

Reply #24 Posted: April 08, 2013, 07:46:57 pm