Topic: Quick question of IT dudes

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
I just got asked to check a quote for a server.
They have two options for storage and I don't have any idea which would be a better option or why the 2TB drives are more expensive than the 3TBs.

The quote is:
Western digital 2TB enterprise raid edition 3.5" WD2003FYYS x 5 @ 315ea
or
Western digital 3TB SATA 6 HDD 64Mb 3.5" WD30EFRX (red nas) x 5 @ 248ea

Can someone explain which is the best choice?
Obviously 15Gb is better than 10Gb but storage volume isn't the only thing right?

Posted: May 01, 2013, 12:58:46 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
The 2TB drive are "Enterprise Drives", which means their performance is more predictable (doesn't necessarily mean faster) and they have much lower failure rates than standard hard drives.

Depending on the application, the failure rates of a normal hard drive may be acceptable. But if its for business critical systems go with the Enterprise drives.

That's my layman's take on things anyway.

Also I'm not a good example, because I use Raptors in RAID for my database server. But then again, I'm not running critical systems of it.

Reply #1 Posted: May 01, 2013, 01:46:06 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
  • pablo d has no influence.
WD2003FYYS = 1.2M hours MTBF
WD30EFRX = 1.0M hours MTBF

just get the 3TB's tbh, unless there are critical features in the enterprise edition that you need

Reply #2 Posted: May 01, 2013, 02:31:42 pm

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
Buy a Mac...huahuahuahuah

Reply #3 Posted: May 01, 2013, 02:43:23 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Thanks guys.

I bought a mac.

Reply #4 Posted: May 01, 2013, 03:09:47 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Also depends on the RAID flavour - for example on our Hyper V boxes at work we run RAID6 - which means we can drop any 2 drives without the server having issues, so we get standard drives for it as the chance of 3 drives failing before we have had a chance to swap them out is pretty much 0

Reply #5 Posted: May 01, 2013, 03:26:07 pm

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
Was just going to reply asking what the raid type was going to be given both quotes were for 5 drives which strongly hinted at some raid setup.

Reply #6 Posted: May 01, 2013, 03:42:34 pm
- badfox

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
Quote from: pablo d;1524499
WD2003FYYS = 1.2M hours MTBF
WD30EFRX = 1.0M hours MTBF

just get the 3TB's tbh, unless there are critical features in the enterprise edition that you need

MTBF is not the same thing as AFR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annualized_failure_rate

Get the Enterprise drives if, as already mentioned, system critical shiz is gon be chillin.

Reply #7 Posted: May 01, 2013, 07:20:11 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Emrico1

It's only going to be standard storage so from the useful information you guys gave me, I have advised on the WD Reds.

Reply #8 Posted: May 01, 2013, 07:40:34 pm

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
You ever on ts much?

Reply #9 Posted: May 01, 2013, 08:15:02 pm
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Emrico1

Quote from: swindle;1524568
You ever on ts much?

Haven't had time for games tbh. By the time I finish work I find solace in beer and TV.

I miss you guys. fml

Reply #10 Posted: May 02, 2013, 11:57:14 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Get a perm!

Reply #11 Posted: May 02, 2013, 12:06:38 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline swindle

Quote from: Emrico1;1524640
I miss you guys. fml

Reply #12 Posted: May 02, 2013, 01:04:42 pm

Offline oefox

• Devoted Member
  • oefox has no influence.
Quote from: Emrico1;1524640
Haven't had time for games tbh. By the time I finish work I find solace in beer and TV.

I miss you guys. fml

I hear that, going to my favourite beer place in an hour for a beer and curry (S&F Thorndon)

Reply #13 Posted: May 02, 2013, 04:04:37 pm
- badfox