Topic: What did you do to your vehicle today?

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Xsannz;1523481
Bugger spig....

Hopefully asyou said starter motor just didn't disnegage... What sort of. Clunk....

Clunk crunch is bad just clunk isn't so bad...

These are techal terms btw.

The worst sound however - is the Eerie Silence - Its the engines way of saying 'Bet you can't guess where MY problem lies....'

Reply #775 Posted: April 16, 2013, 11:40:58 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
hit it with a broom handle spig.

probably just the brushes burned out and the wee starter gear is in a funny spot locking the whole thing up.

or yeah it may have dropped the starter gear off and it's dropped down onto the crank shaft and twisted a conrod, fucked the big end, tweaked the piston, gouged out the cylinder wall and somehow blown the head gasket.

but cheer up, at least you'll get to tinker with a really neat old engine.

Considering selling the race bike and buying a spitfire actually, a GT6 if I can push for it/find one cheap enough.

Reply #776 Posted: April 16, 2013, 12:34:06 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
Was a good solid 'thunk' - will keep you posted once we start the disassembly of it.  

Bounty - have had a GT6 and it was a fun car, Spitfire are a bit more sedate, until idiots do this:

Yes - that's a Honda S2000 engine jammed in to one.

Reply #777 Posted: April 16, 2013, 03:39:56 pm
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Codex

New clutch on Monday :)

Reply #778 Posted: April 16, 2013, 03:50:12 pm

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
Eureka !

1 x Buggered Spitfire Starter Motor Bendix.

With Starter Motor removed engine now turns over. Now to get that sorted... looks like parts are about 7 quid...

Reply #779 Posted: April 20, 2013, 02:46:33 pm
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spigalau;1523815
With Starter Motor removed engine now turns over. Now to get that sorted... looks like parts are about 7 quid...

That's not bad for an older car!

any ideas why it failed though?

Reply #780 Posted: April 20, 2013, 04:29:46 pm

Offline Spigalau

Have a feeling that the Bendix had previously weakened, there's an old crack/split on it, and looks like it just couldn't take the load. Engine hasn't been run for a number of years and it is 40 years old....

And in positive news, I had a look through the engine prefix/serial and it's a WB series (1500 Twin Carb, High Compression) and not the FH Series 1300 we thought it had.

Reply #781 Posted: April 20, 2013, 05:03:00 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Quote from: Spigalau;1523822
it's a WB series (1500 Twin Carb, High Compression) and not the FH Series 1300 we thought it had.

So the slow speeds are due to your nanny-style driving, not the car?

:-P

Reply #782 Posted: April 20, 2013, 06:18:35 pm

Offline CSfaith

• Devoted Member
  • CSfaith has no influence.
you guys should have a look at my mates workshop. Palmerston North Automotive on facebook. That is the stuff I play with most nights ^^

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Palmerston-North-Automotive-And-Performance/183719368356670?fref=ts

Reply #783 Posted: April 20, 2013, 06:45:49 pm

Offline Spigalau

Quote from: Pitchey;1523824
So the slow speeds are due to your nanny-style driving, not the car?

:-P

Haven't had a chance to drive her properly yet. Was brought as a 'project' car.

Reply #784 Posted: April 20, 2013, 06:57:56 pm

Offline playerB

• Devoted Member
  • playerB has no influence.
I love kerosene, its my new favorite thing. cleaned all the gunk off the chain, off the rear sprocket, both wheels, brake calipers, front sprocket, swing arm, shifter arm, kick stand and sump.
shits looking so fresh and so clean.

Reply #785 Posted: April 20, 2013, 11:17:16 pm
sila.

Offline swindle

• swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!swindle is a rising star!
I didn't register it.

Reply #786 Posted: April 21, 2013, 12:10:30 am
If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: playerB;1523833
I love kerosene, its my new favorite thing. cleaned all the gunk off the chain, off the rear sprocket, both wheels, brake calipers, front sprocket, swing arm, shifter arm, kick stand and sump.
shits looking so fresh and so clean.

Ah good that you used kero, cause it wont strip out the lube in the orings in your chain.

Lots of people use meths and wonder why their chain is fucked after a week.

Recent work I've done in the garage:

A while ago I pulled the girlfriends gn250 carb and fuel tap apart and cleaned them out, changed the spark plug and oil.

I test rode the bike, all good.

She got about 150m down the road and the engine stopped at refused to start, I pulled the plug out and it was sooty black, incomplete combustion!

checked the air filter, it's dirty but not enough to richen it up, I pulled the carb out thinking I might have knocked something, so I checked all the settings etc and they are fine, then I read online the main air fuel ratio screw ought to be on the top of the carb, on the cylinder side, but there was just a giant hole there that looked suspiciously like it ought to house an air fuel ratio screw....

I went into my local suzuki dealer and bought a screw, they also confirmed the screw is on top of the carb on the cylinder side of the bike (they only sold me the screw, not the spring, washer or seal - morons didn't bother telling me it didn't come as a kit - even though I told them I had nothing) I tried bunging the screw in but it wont quite fit, and I noticed there's no thread the whole way down.

I took the carb and screw in and spoke with the workshop manager, he told me it's not a screw that goes in there but a vacuum port for when you're balancing carbs (if you had more than one) he said to block it off, he also told me the screw I thought was the idle mixture screw is actually the main and only mixture screw (this is on the side of the carb, down low, cylinder side - not the idle adjustment screw)

It wasn't until I got back to the car that I started wondering where the fuck they got this main screw from, I checked and it's completely different from the other mixture screw on the carb.

Fuck suzuki's.

Reply #787 Posted: April 21, 2013, 12:13:44 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1523852
Ah good that you used kero, cause it wont strip out the lube in the orings in your chain.

orings made of rubber, kero made of oil, oil eats rubber.
So far as I know.
Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:43:03 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #788 Posted: April 21, 2013, 01:40:14 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1523864
orings made of rubber, kero made of oil, oil eats rubber.
So far as I know.

Nah it's not the seals themselves, true using meths will dry them out, it's the lubrication the chain manufacturer puts inside the oring that gets stripped out by the meths.

Some people use degreaser which will expand out the orings and fuck the chain too.

also kero doesn't eat rubber?

Reply #789 Posted: April 21, 2013, 02:01:05 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I was under the impression that all petroleum products do.
Is why one uses soap when squeezing suspension bushes into place.
Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:03:48 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #790 Posted: April 21, 2013, 03:01:46 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Pyromanik;1523870
I was under the impression that all petroleum products do.
Is why one uses soap when squeezing suspension bushes into place.

No I think one uses soap because you want to squeeze something in that you don't want squeezing out again thus if you use soap (detergent?) it's lubricated on the way in, then once the water evaporates it's not lubricated any more? much like popping a bead onto a tyre or placing vinyl stickers? maybe I am wrong.

Reply #791 Posted: April 21, 2013, 03:19:34 pm

Offline playerB

• Devoted Member
  • playerB has no influence.
manufacturer advises to use kerosene...

Reply #792 Posted: April 21, 2013, 04:36:45 pm
sila.

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1523871
No I think one uses soap because you want to squeeze something in that you don't want squeezing out again thus if you use soap (detergent?) it's lubricated on the way in, then once the water evaporates it's not lubricated any more? much like popping a bead onto a tyre or placing vinyl stickers? maybe I am wrong.

Yeh nah, oil eats rubber.
Is also why they harp on about not using vaseline (or any oil based lubricant) when condoms are involved. The oil eats the latex and you end up with stds like the clap and children.

The more you know.
Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:00:35 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #793 Posted: April 21, 2013, 04:57:47 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: playerB;1523872
manufacturer advises to use kerosene...

Yeh it's a fantastic degreaser.

Another is white spirits, although that'd be a bit harsh in this situation.
It's more like meths, only made from oil, not alcohol.

It surprises me that they recommend it for cleaning things with rubber based components, but that seems to be the case.
Then again, the lube is likely oil based too, so I dunno. Maybe the orings aren't rubber based (maybe plastic? I dunno).
Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:10:53 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #794 Posted: April 21, 2013, 04:58:40 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
actually the orings in the chain are a teflon and carbon impregnated rubber, industrial type, designed to keep shape and take heat...  

but kero, doesnt eat some types of rubber,   however if you soaked your car or bike tyres in it you would find they become soft and squishy.

kerso is a base of the dope they use on racing tyres for karting.. paint a little coating on outside of tyre and wrap in cling wrap over night gives a very soft and sticky layer on the tyre for racing the next day

Reply #795 Posted: April 21, 2013, 06:22:03 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=4uz2dusl.l1u.jpg
What did you do to your vehicle today?

took her for a run to Little river today...

Reply #796 Posted: April 28, 2013, 07:56:35 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Xsannz;1524269
http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=4uz2dusl.l1u.jpg
What did you do to your vehicle today?

took her for a run to Little river today...

They havent gritted that road yet?

I took the wiring loom back out of the r6, this is an iterative process, not happy with one or 2 wee things, need to move the radiator fan plug and I need to wrap it properly, I used electrical tape but got warned that I should use proper wiring loom tape, which is only like $1 more a roll.

Reply #797 Posted: April 28, 2013, 09:42:38 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
What year is your r6 I think my ecu interface for flashing the ecu might fit yours...

Which means full blown ycci race maps and settings.....

Nah road. Wasn't gritted went via lyttelton and round the bays aup past the wheat chief....  Around the bays it was gritty very much keep in the tracks or slip and slide but it was just an easy ride since its my first ride since my accident.

Was pretty good thank god we got warned as we were leaving about where the local blue  and yellow was parked.

Kept the bike in std mode and gave her one. Or two squirts up to 10k rpm..

But still in break in .. So due for first service now which is just an oil change.

Then next service at 1500 which is a full service and then I can finally ring her neck properly.

Managed 425km this long weekend between thur and friday so will have to get it in for service in the next few weeks.

Reply #798 Posted: April 28, 2013, 09:53:22 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
Quote from: Xsannz;1524276
What year is your r6 I think my ecu interface for flashing the ecu might fit yours...

Which means full blown ycci race maps and settings.....

Nah road. Wasn't gritted went via lyttelton and round the bays aup past the wheat chief....  Around the bays it was gritty very much keep in the tracks or slip and slide but it was just an easy ride since its my first ride since my accident.

Was pretty good thank god we got warned as we were leaving about where the local blue  and yellow was parked.

Kept the bike in std mode and gave her one. Or two squirts up to 10k rpm..

But still in break in .. So due for first service now which is just an oil change.

Then next service at 1500 which is a full service and then I can finally ring her neck properly.

Managed 425km this long weekend between thur and friday so will have to get it in for service in the next few weeks.

2008, If you could flash it i'd be keen on learning, it's honestly what I want to go into once I have my degree.

fair call on the easy ride, how'd you get on with the broken/healing ankle? suppose it's been 6 weeks....

I recommend bob mcleary for yamaha stuff, but I'm sure you have a favourite (I have delt with trevor piece though and he's been very good too really)

Reply #799 Posted: April 28, 2013, 11:42:12 pm