Topic: Getting Fibre - Who is good

Offline BigBoss

• Addicted
  • BigBoss has no influence.
Hi guys.

Our house has finally become available to be hooked up to Fibre.

I am just wondering who here is on fibre, what providers they use and if they would recommend anyone, or stay away from any provider.

Our house has 3 guys in it, we mostly play League of Legends, and at the moment on broadband at peak times, it lags like crazy with us all on. I guess the most important issue to us is no lag.

We also download a fair bit, but I'm sure we will be pretty stoked with whatever speeds we will get on fibre.

Any help or comments apprecaited

Cheers :)

Posted: May 31, 2013, 09:47:37 am

BigBoss   -   SacrificialLamb   -   Snake™

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
i use Vodafone.

Not sure if their plans are released yet.

But good speeds, my ping in LoL is about 150, and i can download at about 4mb/s.

PM Simcore he might be able to give you the details

Reply #1 Posted: May 31, 2013, 10:08:06 am
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline BigBoss

• Addicted
How do you find your LOL ping/lag in peak times dark?

Currently we have pings usually in the 130-2000 area, but despite this we get rediculous lag spikes during peak hours (even though our ping often still displays in the 200 area).

I notice slingshot has *Turbo option on their plans.

What is TURBO?
Customers on TURBO plans can expect 4 times faster experience at peak times when downloading content from international web sites when compared to non-TURBO plans (which are still very fast).  Peak usage times are typically in the evenings from 6pm-10pm.  All TURBO plans have higher throughput for downloading from international web sites to ensure a more consistent and better experience at all times of the day.  If this is important to you, we recommend you select a TURBO plan.

http://slingshot.co.nz/products/fibre/fibre-pricing-plans/

Wonder if this would be beneficial, or if its just a gimmick (IE do they really do it)

Reply #2 Posted: May 31, 2013, 12:05:04 pm

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
http://ufb.org.nz/pricing-plans/

From what I understand, all of the retail/residential UFB plans have a CIR of 2.5/2.5 and this is only for high priority tagged traffic (voice & video) - gaming & web-browsing is treated as junk / best effort only.

The VFNZ plans are still AFK - supposedly next 90 days there will be some announcements, but don't hold your breath as that was the same thing they said last December.

Also, keep an eye on the contract terms - some of the plans are 24 month, others are 12.
Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:19:54 pm by Spigalau

Reply #3 Posted: May 31, 2013, 01:14:31 pm
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
I dont have any problems with lag, no variance from 150 ever.

Reply #4 Posted: May 31, 2013, 02:14:45 pm
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline Slingshot

• Just settled in
  • Slingshot is looked down upon.
Are you sure the lag isn't caused by congestion on your own network/under-performing router?

I was using a POS router a while ago. If someone in my house was streaming TV I'd lag out in game.
I put in a Fortigate 60c and now we can download at 10MB/s without hurting my gaming.

Reply #5 Posted: May 31, 2013, 02:26:55 pm

Offline BigBoss

• Addicted
Quote from: Slingshot;1526167
Are you sure the lag isn't caused by congestion on your own network/under-performing router?

I was using a POS router a while ago. If someone in my house was streaming TV I'd lag out in game.
I put in a Fortigate 60c and now we can download at 10MB/s without hurting my gaming.

The thought had crossed my mind. I have a Linksys Wag200g
http://support.linksys.com/en-apac/support/gateways/WAG200G

I have had this router for a good 5 + years. We have multiple smart phones, 3 computers and a few laptops connecting to the router. I find it wierd that it only happens sometimes, we generally have the same devices connected and content running both when it is fine and when it is laggy.

I guess there is not a lot of point upgrading my router at this stage, if I am changing to Fibre as I will require a new modem (I assume) for fibre.

Reply #6 Posted: May 31, 2013, 03:24:20 pm

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
They gave me one when i switched

Reply #7 Posted: May 31, 2013, 04:12:55 pm
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam