Topic: Guns and Hunting

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
Just wanting to know who here has their Firearms License?

What gun(s) you have?

and hunting stories? Do tell...

I bought my 4th gun on the weekend, a Norinco SKS 20" from Gun City in Christchurch.
Which i am looking to customise up into a sniperish aesthetic

they generally look like this;

Posted: April 19, 2011, 08:19:24 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Needs a bigger magazine imo.

If you really want to terrify people.

Reply #1 Posted: April 20, 2011, 06:18:45 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
tsk tsk Zarkov

One Shot, One Kill

Bigger Magazines are for those who are lazy with their aiming

Reply #2 Posted: April 20, 2011, 11:50:52 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I've wanted to get my license for years, but I never got around to it and I suspect the police would object to me being a fit and proper person these days.

Reply #3 Posted: April 20, 2011, 02:20:16 pm

Offline Raith_exile

• Just settled in
  • Raith_exile has no influence.
Quote from: kookynic;1377524
Just wanting to know who here has their Firearms License?

What gun(s) you have?

and hunting stories? Do tell...

I bought my 4th gun on the weekend, a Norinco SKS 20" from Gun City in Christchurch.
Which i am looking to customise up into a sniperish aesthetic

they generally look like this;

I just picked up one of the 16" versions a couple of weeks ago, along with a whole crate of tracer ammo

Reply #4 Posted: April 20, 2011, 05:40:57 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Haha.

Reply #5 Posted: April 20, 2011, 07:58:02 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
  • Blob_ZPS has no influence.
Quote from: Zarkov;1377786
Haha.

Got a remington 700, an old enfield, winchester mod 69, some random assortment of slug guns and an 870.

A (very shitty) pic of the 700 is attached.

Reply #6 Posted: April 21, 2011, 12:05:37 am

Offline Easymeat56k

• Just settled in
  • Easymeat56k has no influence.
SKS-sniperish? fail.
the short Russian is no sniper round,its somewhat akin to the 30-30.With soft points suitable for small to medium game up to ranges of 200mtrs max.
By the time you fit a drag stock,scope mount,bipod and other "wanker" bits the money spent would have got you a decent bolt action in a large calibre and a reasonable scope.
Something like the Rem700 pictured above.
The SKS makes for a great bush gun on pigs and goats and Deer.
As for guns, I've had/have everything from flintlocks to 375 H&H.done Cowboy action,ISPC,Service rifle...hunted mouse's to Moose(took photos of Moose in Canada,to easy to shoot)Missed more ducks than plucked,shot Swan,Parry's and puks,eated once and shot no more(they is yuck).Currently shoot blanks thru MG's and SMG's as a re-enactor(C theactrical endoresment)ammo just as expensive as live stuff but youre not allowed to eat dead Germans.

Reply #7 Posted: April 21, 2011, 03:37:40 pm
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
about 7 shoutguns in the family and a few bolt 22, 303 etc.

The Miroku U/O is probably my fave, prefer the 2 shot over semis.

This year will be the first opening season I have missed in about 12 years, a little bit gutted.

Reply #8 Posted: April 21, 2011, 03:56:20 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
Quote from: Easymeat56k;1377950
SKS-sniperish? fail.
the short Russian is no sniper round,its somewhat akin to the 30-30.With soft points suitable for small to medium game up to ranges of 200mtrs max.
By the time you fit a drag stock,scope mount,bipod and other "wanker" bits the money spent would have got you a decent bolt action in a large calibre and a reasonable scope.
As for guns, I've had/have everything from flintlocks to 375 H&H.done Cowboy action,ISPC,Service rifle...hunted mouse's to Moose(took photos of Moose in Canada,to easy to shoot)Missed more ducks than plucked,shot Swan,Parry's and puks,eated once and shot no more(they is yuck).Currently shoot blanks thru MG's and SMG's as a re-enactor(C theactrical endoresment)ammo just as expensive as live stuff but youre not allowed to eat dead Germans.

Reading fail.

i said sniperish aesthetic(which means it looks similar), not make it a sniper rifle.

and it has the cheapest centrefire ammo, its all about cost

Reply #9 Posted: April 21, 2011, 07:40:27 pm

Offline Easymeat56k

• Just settled in
Well any rifle can be a sniper rifle.
 A coat of black paint on the stock could make it look more deadly.
Adding a scope doesn't make a rifle a sniper rifle.
If youre srs about hunting,then ammo cost for the few rounds needed is not a consideration.
If you want to blaze away at tin cans or tennis balls for fun then the SKS and the cheap ammo is fine.
Using the cheap ammo(usually FMJ) on animals is close to being cruel,FMJ punches neat holes, little damage,slow death,unless a headshot.
If you get the crown redone,it can make the SKS group under an inch at 100yds.Of course you need to be able to shoot a group first.

Reply #10 Posted: April 21, 2011, 08:05:01 pm
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

yes i agree.

but did you know the iron sights on an sks can be set for a distances up to 1km, wishfull russian thinking i rekon.

but i still beieve that the 7.62x39 is the most under rated calibur out there.

i many bought it for deer stalking, and the odd pig if i come across them as i dont have dogs

Reply #11 Posted: April 21, 2011, 08:09:54 pm

Offline Easymeat56k

• Just settled in
One of my 9mm pistols has a rear sight setting of 500yds,with the stock fitted its hard to hit a Fig12 at 100 let alone at 500.
Have you looked at getting the stock extentions,most find the stock to short.The after market plastic stocks are much better.
The best scope mounts are the ones which are drilled and tapped to the receiver.
Make sure to clean the whole gas system,theres a lever near the rear sight which allows you to remove the piston and clean the tube,failure to do so will cause problems.
The standard 123 grain pill,if SP, will do the job on the Deer you'll find in the Rimataka's.HP's on pigs is visual feast,esp headshots.

Reply #12 Posted: April 21, 2011, 08:21:39 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

yes ive got a Choate, olive green, dragunov style, synthetic stock here ready to put on, it also has additional 1 inch spacers to be placed between the stock an the rubber butt. So it can be configured for whatever preference

looks like this

Reply #13 Posted: April 21, 2011, 08:34:30 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
  • Blob_ZPS has no influence.
The sights on a SMLE go out to 2000 yards but it would be hard to hit a bard door at that distance even if you had a tight new barrel and superb handloads.

Reply #14 Posted: April 22, 2011, 02:25:24 am

Offline Easymeat56k

• Just settled in
The reason the SMLE and older bolts actions of the late 1900's had sights graduated to 2000 was the armies of the time still marched in large colums.
The regiment would all fire in volleys at the distant enemy colums creating a 'beaten zone'.This is why on very early 303's you'll find lobbing sights.
At Trentham,from the 1000yd mound,I used to be able to get a 4ft group with standard iron sights and Mil ball with a original condition 1917 dated aussie SMLE.

Reply #15 Posted: April 22, 2011, 10:05:56 am

Offline Bane

• Addicted
  • Bane has no influence.
the SMLE was one of the most unbelievable bolt action rifles of the day.. The current world record for aimed bolt-action fire was set in 1914 by a musketry instructor in the British Army—Sergeant Instructor Snoxall—who placed 38 rounds into a 12-inch-wide (300 mm) target at 300 yards (270 m) in one minute. the "Mad Minute" was practiced and the idea was to dump as many rounds into a target as possible, coupling this with the "Volley" sights of the lee-enfield you could imagine that a group of people could lay down a considerable amount of firepower.

My two, a swedish beauty and a cheap American broad :P

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/BaneDraconus/IMG_1497.jpg
Guns and Hunting

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/BaneDraconus/IMG_1498.jpg
Guns and Hunting

Currently managing 1/2"/100m groups with the Swedish Mauser Need to find a bigger range at which to shoot it now :P

Reply #16 Posted: April 22, 2011, 10:49:23 am

Offline thatGUyAswell

• Just settled in
  • thatGUyAswell has no influence.
Remmy 700 , Hs Precision varmint stock, free floating 26inch varmint barrel and a Harris swivel bi pod to top it off. Chambered in 243 win.

Bit on the heavy side of carrying around a mountain side but it's mainly for varminting and used off the back of the Ute so weight don't matter so much.

Currently shooting 96 grain soft points..

May get pics soon

Also have a 22lr savage mark2 fss.

Reply #17 Posted: April 22, 2011, 04:46:58 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

Finally got all the parts and started putting it together

had a snag tho, the pin that holds the cap on the grip for the gas piston looks as if its has been welded in place, so i was unable to change over the top grip with my new synthetic one. Will fix when i get my dremill back from my friend.

Reply #18 Posted: April 27, 2011, 04:45:30 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
That does look very Snazzy

Reply #19 Posted: April 28, 2011, 08:05:50 am

Offline Pe_Pa_Possum

• Just settled in
  • Pe_Pa_Possum has no influence.
Quote from: Easymeat56k;1377950
SKS-sniperish? fail.

Are you still shooting IPSC Easymeat?

Reply #20 Posted: April 28, 2011, 02:26:10 pm

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.
i think the term is 'tacticool' ;)

Reply #21 Posted: April 28, 2011, 08:59:15 pm

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1379177
That does look very Snazzy

i think the term is 'tacticool' ;)

professional Russians use these

Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:11:05 pm by Kopfjaeger

Reply #22 Posted: April 28, 2011, 09:00:40 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

i like 'tacticool'

What of it?

Reply #23 Posted: May 01, 2011, 01:47:15 am

Offline Bane

• Addicted
  • Bane has no influence.
Kooky dont let the naysayer's get you down.

SKS's can be surprisingly accurate out to around 300m. The best idea is to find the ammo that shoots the best in it, and then buy bulk

Or reload your own.

*Edit*

EasyMeat who do you reenact with? The HRS or MRS?

Reply #24 Posted: May 01, 2011, 09:46:13 am