Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
WooHoo! Congrats old fellah!

Reply #22575 Posted: May 06, 2015, 01:11:03 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Well I've been gaming online for bloody near 20 years, so to make all of you buggers who've been doing the same feel old, I am here to inform you that I am now a grandfather.

Time for my nap.....

I played my first online games in 1992. Fuck me I feel old lol.

Reply #22576 Posted: May 06, 2015, 03:13:19 pm

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
  • Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.
Well I've been gaming online for bloody near 20 years, so to make all of you buggers who've been doing the same feel old, I am here to inform you that I am now a grandfather.

Time for my nap.....

I would have accomplished my first year of shitting my pants in 1992........ Inb4 "not much has changed"

Reply #22577 Posted: May 06, 2015, 03:35:56 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!

Time for my nap.....

I remember going to an office in town, to pay $30 to a BBS I was subscribed to at the time, to access online Doom on an 8 player server via dial in. DWANGO I think it was called. That must have been 92 - 93. 

Reply #22578 Posted: May 06, 2015, 03:57:00 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
  • AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.
My first online game was probably Ultima Online, I think I played for about three weeks but my dial-up was so bad I kept losing connection and lagging too much to play. The first game I could actually play online without lagging out was Command & Conquer renegade around 2002ish I think. Come to think of it I played a bit of Quake online on the school computers, that would have been about 2000.
I also remember having some good times playing all nighters at Battlelink in town was about $15-20 for the 10pm to 6am session iirc.

Reply #22579 Posted: May 06, 2015, 05:06:04 pm
Wallpaper thread (It was good when it was updated)

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Mine was quake on the dreamcast via dialup, that was the online game that got me hooked. The hours spent playing that!

Reply #22580 Posted: May 06, 2015, 05:31:23 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I remember going to an office in town, to pay $30 to a BBS I was subscribed to at the time, to access online Doom on an 8 player server via dial in. DWANGO I think it was called. That must have been 92 - 93.

First games I played online were MUD's on the internet, and door games on BBS's.

DWANGO and doom were a bit later, Doom launched Xmas 1993, and Dwango in 94.

Reply #22581 Posted: May 06, 2015, 05:47:15 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Descent & Whacky Wheels were my first, dial in stuff, was crazy.
Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:00:59 pm by Bounty Hunter

Reply #22582 Posted: May 06, 2015, 06:54:31 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!

First games I played online were MUD's on the internet, and door games on BBS's.

I wasn't counting those delightful turn based empire building style text based games that used to be on the BBSs. You obviously had proper internet access very early. I didn't get away from BBSs until Planet showed up in Chch, which I think was 94 or 95??

Reply #22583 Posted: May 06, 2015, 07:08:10 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator

I wasn't counting those delightful turn based empire building style text based games that used to be on the BBSs. You obviously had proper internet access very early. I didn't get away from BBSs until Planet showed up in Chch, which I think was 94 or 95??

Yeah I was lucky enough to have internet access in the very early days. For reference I paid a few hundred dollars in fourth form to purchase my very own 1200 baud modem (yes that's one 50th the speed of "dialup" ). So slow that a page of plain text literally scrolls down your screen line by line as it arrives :-)

A bloke called Richard Naylor was a very smart chappy at the council and pursuaded them to launch a service for ratepayers allowing them to register for an account, and access some internet services through a Vax VMS mini computer connected to a bank of a dozenish 2400 baud modems. The cleverer ones of us soon figured out how to bypass the limited restrictions and get out into things we probably shouldn't have.. Like MUD's, Talker's, etc :-)
http://downtothewire.co.nz/library-1991/
http://www.nethistory.co.nz/index.php/Internet_in_New_Zealand_Timeline

Spent many many hours as a teenager up all night chatting to people all over the world, in particular on one of the early talkers called Foothills. You can read a bit about this history of it here http://www.netlingo.com/more/talker.php.

Reply #22584 Posted: May 07, 2015, 08:14:24 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I think it was '99 before I got online.

Reply #22585 Posted: May 07, 2015, 09:57:29 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Awesome. Thanks for that history link Lias.

Reply #22586 Posted: May 07, 2015, 12:21:51 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Hey Chch fuckheads, I'm catching up with Lias for  a beer at the CBD around 5 tomorrow. drop in if ya want

Reply #22587 Posted: May 07, 2015, 09:16:23 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
So finally after many years got to have a beer with Woo and Bitchi.. well worth my time, great people, had a blast.

Reply #22588 Posted: May 08, 2015, 07:50:47 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Cheers Lias. Good to meet you.

Reply #22589 Posted: May 09, 2015, 08:46:54 am

Codex

Grats woo.

My first online game was maplestory or red alert 2, whichever is older

First FPS was 2142, still love that game, the wreckage is real

Reply #22590 Posted: May 09, 2015, 09:31:16 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
CFS1 - W00T!

Reply #22591 Posted: May 09, 2015, 11:01:20 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Dial-up modem Dukematches.

(So yeah, 1v1 because that's how telephones work).

Reply #22592 Posted: May 12, 2015, 10:09:52 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

Dial-up modem Dukematches.

(So yeah, 1v1 because that's how telephones work).

Oh shit I had forgotten about that. I used to spend hours on the phone with my mate running around that house in the middle of nowhere, using shrink ray and stomping him. awesome times.

Reply #22593 Posted: May 12, 2015, 10:34:01 am

Offline Pyromanik

Yeh, was good fun back in the day. Except that my mate (the one I played most often at least) was much better than I was, so it often wasn't all that fun for very long, haha.

Plus could only play until Mum came home, because then she wanted the phone line free incase someone tried to ring... haha.

I also remember going to an early cyber cafe to play quake (1) vs friends (LAN). Back in the days before wide spread internet access.
Good times. That would be 1998, 1999 maybe.

Reply #22594 Posted: May 12, 2015, 10:39:39 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Shadow warrior was where it's at.

Ancient Chinese Secret.

Edit : Coming in late to the party - Just realised you fools were talking about online games.

Duke Nukem was indeed mine too, Although I don't know if you'd call it online as it was LAN...We had some weird box (with giant pin connectors on the back, with a switch you flicked to A or B) that we used to connect our games up.

Still have it. Still no clue what it does.
Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:29:35 am by `Kayne

Reply #22595 Posted: May 14, 2015, 12:27:31 am
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I never played Duke Nukem, because I don't have time to play with myself.

Reply #22596 Posted: May 14, 2015, 05:42:55 am

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
we used to play doom dial-up  was awesome

also used to play warcraft (the original) or Worms (dos)  via laplink cable and or our old token ring novel network.

Reply #22597 Posted: May 14, 2015, 07:32:51 am

Offline Dr Woomanchu

I never played Duke Nukem, because I don't have time to play with myself.

Ready for action?

Reply #22598 Posted: May 14, 2015, 09:48:05 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Got an i5 Devil's Canyon waiting for me at home.

So excite. Just need RAM to get the pocket rocket going.

Someone gift me some DDR3?

Reply #22599 Posted: May 14, 2015, 11:10:31 am