Topic: NZ broadcasters launch battle against global mode ISPs

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11435632

just read this...wow...

I am assuming youtube vids uploaded a couple of hours after its broadcast in the us, doesnt come into this argument...

do you think they have a case here, or is it going to cost taxpayer dollars over years of bullshit?

Posted: April 20, 2015, 11:50:10 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Just sour grapes.

The only reason we have Neon and Lightbox now is because of Netflix. It's ironic that while at the same time Sky/Spark are branching out into online streaming, they are hitting back at their competitors for doing the same.

Anyway, Netflix is available in NZ now, and comparing the catalogues vs the US, NZ actually has a pretty decent selection, so this move is a bit late to the party. However there are still other reasons to use Global mode.

But it's the internet, it should be global. As far as I'm concerned they don't have a case, we have always been able to get around geo-blocking using a simple DNS/VPN. Global mode just took away that small extra step (I still use my Unotelly DNS, because it allows me to switch between different regions)

The broadcasters claim global mode breaches both copyright obligations and the Fair Trading Act, as global mode customers are accessing content, typically popular television shows such as Game of Thrones or House of Cards, which the local broadcasters and content providers have paid to bring to New Zealand
As far as I know, there is no way to watch Game of Thrones at the moment using global mode, it's only available through Neon.
If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:55:31 am by Sire NZ CH Spacemonkey

Reply #1 Posted: April 21, 2015, 05:52:43 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
As far as I know, there is no way to watch Game of Thrones at the moment using global mode, it's only available through Neon.

HBO Now

Reply #2 Posted: April 21, 2015, 07:46:12 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!

HBO Now

Need an apple device as I understand, but I think (and I hope) they will open it open to more providers later on.

Either way it doesn't have anything to do with Orcon/Slignshot and Global mode, so it makes Spark/Sky's case even more ridiculous.
Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:15:45 am by Sire NZ CH Spacemonkey

Reply #3 Posted: April 21, 2015, 07:56:05 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Youtube was the hint.

"Oh, people like watching video off the internet, I wonder what that might mean for my broadcast television service....probably nothing."

Reply #4 Posted: April 23, 2015, 08:05:49 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Spigalau

• Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.Spigalau is a force to reckon with.
Rofl HBO not happy that Twitter 'Periscope' extension is allowing content to be streamed in real-time.... who would of thunk ?

Reply #5 Posted: April 24, 2015, 01:22:59 pm
49 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 6d 65 6d 62 65 72 20 77 68 65 6e 20 74 68 65 20 61 69 72 20 77 61 73 20 63 6c 65 61 6e 20 61 6e 64 20 73 65 78 20 77 61 73 20 64 69 72 74 79 2e

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Rofl HBO not happy that Twitter 'Periscope' extension is allowing content to be streamed in real-time.... who would of thunk ?

Who the hell is watching shitty living-room streamed content from a cellphone?

Reply #6 Posted: April 24, 2015, 03:02:38 pm

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
  • Hmmmgood has no influence.
Holy shit its Spig

Reply #7 Posted: April 24, 2015, 06:36:33 pm