Topic: Cricket Thread

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Role model or not, he's a bad example to kids.

When they see it's ok to play when you want, throw tantrums, chuck your bat around the dressing room sledge shit out of the other team etc, they pick up on it.

I don't know how old your kids' teams are killa, but I reckon that umpiring teams of sledging 14 year old kids is the worst job in the world.

Because we have so few really good cricketers, we've always cut them too much slack at the expense of emerging players.

The NZ team has a long history of carting around players who are past their best, injured with little prospect of getting fit, or just plain hypochondriac.

Anyone who watched Martin Crowe trying to play in a knee brace, or Jacob Oram throughout his career can vouch for that.

Reply #875 Posted: April 03, 2012, 10:19:17 pm

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Quote from: Zarkov;1478629

When they see it's ok to play when you want, throw tantrums, chuck your bat around the dressing room sledge shit out of the other team etc, they pick up on it.

I don't know how old your kids' teams are killa, but I reckon that umpiring teams of sledging 14 year old kids is the worst job in the world.

Because we have so few really good cricketers, we've always cut them too much slack at the expense of emerging players.

The NZ team has a long history of carting around players who are past their best, injured with little prospect of getting fit, or just plain hypochondriac.

Anyone who watched Martin Crowe trying to play in a knee brace, or Jacob Oram throughout his career can vouch for that.

What. When i was growing up, I remember no ryder like "role models", yet so many kids i played cricket with would throw massive tantrums after getting out. Kicking chairs, throwing bats, heated words with teammates/the umpire.  I believe it has something to do with competitive sports and being a sore loser. Very much the domain of the parent.

To me, most of this sounds like tall poppy syndrome. People seem to think sports stars have some duty to play for their country, but at the end of the day, unless you are some star with already a lot of money, you can't turn down the cash pot that is the IPL. And that's going to cause a lot of young players to start reconsidering where their priorities lie. Especially as the cricket calendar becomes densely packed So players are going to avoid the risk of issues, by resting from club games, or playing within themselves, so when the IPL comes around. they are in the best condition.  So its well within ryders rights, to skip the firebirds games to keep a clear head for when he goes to play for the IPL.

Reply #876 Posted: April 03, 2012, 10:59:41 pm

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
It's more of a culture issue imo, and the example needs to be set from the most visible level i.e. the top. That shit is not cricket.

Reply #877 Posted: April 03, 2012, 11:31:19 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
It's less about role models, and more about playing a team sport.

Nothing worse in a team than a major talent who goes missing in action at vital times.

Ryder should play golf for a living.

Reply #878 Posted: April 04, 2012, 08:32:18 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Zarkov;1478746
Ryder should play golf for a living.

They don;t make a SUV big enough for the fatty ;)

Reply #879 Posted: April 04, 2012, 08:41:35 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline pyro

• Addicted
  • pyro has no influence.

Reply #880 Posted: April 04, 2012, 04:07:45 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...

Reply #881 Posted: April 04, 2012, 09:25:03 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Quote from: Zarkov;1478629

Thats funny, I don't think of Ryder like that.

Sure he has had off field problems but I always admired the way he plays the game. The way he nonchalantly bats, the  way he never responded to the Aussies sledging when he burst onto the world stage. I do remember him throwing his bat when he got out after scoring a ton, but to me that just seemed like frustration with himself. He did have a bad habit for awhile of getting out just after achieving ton or double ton.

Reply #882 Posted: April 04, 2012, 09:25:40 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

My bad.

I was just using him as an example of some of the bad behaviors that seem to wind up in junior teams.

Sledging was my pet hate when I was head of junior cricket at ECB.

Reply #883 Posted: April 04, 2012, 11:36:53 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Zarkov;1478969
My bad.

I was just using him as an example of some of the bad behaviors that seem to wind up in junior teams.

Sledging was my pet hate when I was head of junior cricket at ECB.
Wait, you're a British cat?

Reply #884 Posted: April 05, 2012, 01:41:37 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

British kitten.

East Coast Bays cat.

Reply #885 Posted: April 05, 2012, 08:55:51 am

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Zarkov;1479031
British kitten.

East Coast Bays cat.

Reply #886 Posted: April 05, 2012, 06:07:31 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Howariayalk

I think they would do pretty good because its pretty similar game they can catch, throw, hit, run, and field and you need all to play baseball so i think they could.

Raspberry Ketone

Reply #887 Posted: April 10, 2012, 04:27:36 pm

Peteralphinal

No doubt there will be those who try to downplay the record but the reality is that their national teams have also had 52 years to try and beat it and on many occasions playing against "weaker" teams...

Pure Raspberry Ketone

Reply #888 Posted: April 14, 2012, 05:12:50 pm

Offline flixide

• Just settled in
  • flixide is looked down upon.
Anyone watch IPL ?

Reply #889 Posted: April 24, 2012, 10:27:43 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Don't watch 20/20 cricket

Reply #890 Posted: April 26, 2012, 03:41:02 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Quote from: flixide;1482091
Anyone watch IPL ?

Nope.
I <3 proper cricket.

Reply #891 Posted: April 26, 2012, 04:01:45 pm

Offline Roberonesy

• I Posted!
  • Roberonesy has no influence.
earlier aussis wrecked Murli of sri lanka . I think they are good at mind games
in all aussie matces placards are full of racial abuses , it is acase of pot calling the kettle black

Slim XS

Reply #892 Posted: June 09, 2012, 05:52:36 pm

Offline Knoxsanyi

• I Posted!
  • Knoxsanyi has no influence.
earlier aussis wrecked Murli of sri lanka . I think they are good at mind games
in all aussie matces placards are full of racial abuses , it is acase of pot calling the kettle black

Colonflow

Reply #893 Posted: June 22, 2012, 10:38:30 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

Persistent little bot.

Reply #894 Posted: June 22, 2012, 10:44:59 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

Horror in Florida.

Ronnie Hira's hand after he tried to stop a Gayle bullet.

NZ fielding.

Reply #895 Posted: July 01, 2012, 08:27:44 am

Offline toofast

• Addicted
  • toofast barely matters.toofast barely matters.
Gayle and pollard destroyed the NZ attack as expected. Oram went off injured as expected. Nobody managed to play themselves into form, with a bunch of 20s, and 30s, against a fairly uninspired WI attack, as expected. 3/3 for NZ.

Reply #896 Posted: July 01, 2012, 01:12:19 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

The bone sticking out of Hira's hand will live with me forever.

Reply #897 Posted: July 01, 2012, 03:44:19 pm

Offline hambam

• Just settled in
  • hambam has no influence.
Just gonna reawaken this thread by saying:

The Black Caps lost AGAIN!!

but they still have a chance to get to the semis in the t20 world cup

Reply #898 Posted: September 30, 2012, 04:45:43 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

If we reawakened it every time they lost, it would run to 100 pages by now.

Reply #899 Posted: September 30, 2012, 05:13:44 pm