Topic: Israel/Palestine conflict

Offline Aloysius

• Just settled in
  • Aloysius has no influence.
Oh sorry, I thought you applied for a job in Georgia while out of the country. ie taking a break from ballot stuffing in Georgia by holidaying in the middle east :P (I didn't examine the post dates)

Yea I wouldn't want to be a Palestinian when any military brigade rolls in :S
Something has to fill in the headlines I guess.

Reply #25 Posted: November 16, 2012, 11:05:22 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
The general Israeli solider in the west bank is normally pretty decent they are always really young and are put in a shitty situation by having to defend settlers.
They always seemed really bored and more interested in checking their iPhones for messages than causing trouble.

Reply #26 Posted: November 17, 2012, 02:34:54 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Well this is new a rocket just hit the west bank a couple of Kms away from my girlfriend, she heard the bang.
Apparently it was aimed at the Israeli parliament building but that's a pretty stupid move considering the area is surrounded by Palestinians.

Reply #27 Posted: November 17, 2012, 05:39:46 am

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
i also wonder what would have happened if olde Mitt had won the election last week - i suspect that this might have played out differently

Reply #28 Posted: November 17, 2012, 11:20:18 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Aloysius

• Just settled in
Really? I speculate it would be the same. Unless you're thinking there is an element of wolf crying in Israel's actions, aimed at the US. That there is something more they want from the US that MITTens would have given and Obama is not.

I suspect it will end with some small victory for Israel, at the cost of some bloodshed and international goodwill for Israel. Bearing in mind I know nothing :P

Reply #29 Posted: November 17, 2012, 11:44:12 am

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Quote from: private_hell;1509132
i also wonder what would have happened if olde Mitt had won the election last week - i suspect that this might have played out differently

Why?  Mitt & the Republicans would support Netanyahu/Isreal more firmly than Obama would, but it's hard to see how Isreal is pulling its punches at the moment.

Reply #30 Posted: November 17, 2012, 11:53:04 am

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
I heard the western back Fatah palestinian faction fired the rockets, and israel are taking ot hamas people anyway.

Reply #31 Posted: November 17, 2012, 12:49:18 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
If none of them believed in an afterlife, it would probably play out a little differently.

Reply #32 Posted: November 17, 2012, 02:26:53 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted

Reply #33 Posted: November 17, 2012, 10:17:46 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
sigh.....
Israeli Interior Minister Eli Yishai says "the goal of the operation is to send Gaza back to the Middle Ages. Only then will Israel be calm for 40 years," according to Israel's Haaretz website.

Reply #34 Posted: November 18, 2012, 08:05:13 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
One more before bed.
Israel's foreign minister, Avigdor Lieberman: "The only way we can achieve peace and security is to create real deterrence via a crushing response that will make sure they don't try to test us again," he said. "This isn't an all-out war, but an operation with defined goals." If a ground invasion was authorised, Israel would have to "see it through," he said. "This wasn't done during Operation Cast Lead [the 22-day war four years ago], which is why we failed to achieve our goal."

Reply #35 Posted: November 18, 2012, 10:23:13 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1509175
One more before bed.

Ah MAD - worked real well from the 1950s to 1980s.....

Reply #36 Posted: November 18, 2012, 10:58:37 am

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: BeNZene;1509135
Why?  Mitt & the Republicans would support Netanyahu/Isreal more firmly than Obama would, but it's hard to see how Isreal is pulling its punches at the moment.

since obama/US is moving out of the middle east as they see the pacific at the more pressing/important - this could be a way to remind obama that he cant leave the middle east

Reply #37 Posted: November 18, 2012, 11:56:21 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1509178

It is scary how close it got at times.  This sends shudders down my spine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83

Quote from: private_hell;1509180
since obama/US is moving out of the middle east as they see the pacific at the more pressing/important - this could be a way to remind obama that he cant leave the middle east

I guess that is possible.  But I don't think Obama is moving out of the Middle East anytime soon. Between Oil, the Suez Canel, and Iran there is plenty of reason for the Middle East to be a strategic concern for a long time to come.

Reply #38 Posted: November 18, 2012, 03:02:03 pm

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
You missed the Cuban missile crisis.

If you think the future looks gloomy now, it's positively rosy by comparison.

Reply #39 Posted: November 18, 2012, 04:38:36 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1509178
It would only be MAD if both sides had the ability to destroy each other. What the fuck can Palestine actually do to Israel? Fuck all. :(

Reply #40 Posted: November 18, 2012, 07:39:30 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
I'm really digging TYT's commentary atm.

Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:22:03 am by Bell

Reply #41 Posted: November 19, 2012, 05:20:02 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Arnifix;1509205
It would only be MAD if both sides had the ability to destroy each other. What the fuck can Palestine actually do to Israel? Fuck all. :(

Palestine in themselves - not a lot, but when you include all the Arab countries that have had bones to pick with Israel then it becomes a lot more of a level playing field.

The Arabs know that in terms of military hardware, the Israelis have the edge and so generally try not to get involved but if Israel stepped over the very thing line, then they might join the fray

Reply #42 Posted: November 19, 2012, 08:34:48 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Bell;1509223
I'm really digging TYT's commentary atm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEEkEUcb2Y4
Does anyone else see the video? I see the code when quoting your post bell, but can't see the video at all. :(

Quote from: The Demon Lord;1509227
Palestine in themselves - not a lot, but when you include all the Arab countries that have had bones to pick with Israel then it becomes a lot more of a level playing field.

The Arabs know that in terms of military hardware, the Israelis have the edge and so generally try not to get involved but if Israel stepped over the very thing line, then they might join the fray
Haha, I think it is highly unlikely. That would more than likely start WW3 given Americas massive investment in Israel and the fact they're already tooling up for a war on Iran. Then we have Russia who would be totes down. Hell even China might join in.

And let's not delude ourselves. Israel is the only middle eastern state (excluding Pakistan sort of) that has nuclear weapons. I don't see the other Arab states doing anything except posturing. Poor Palestinians.

Reply #43 Posted: November 19, 2012, 01:48:14 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Aloysius

• Just settled in
The youtube vid pops up as an embedded video as normal for me. I only watched a minute of it though. It didn't really 'grab' me.

Reply #44 Posted: November 19, 2012, 01:55:21 pm

Offline Arnifix

Also, is there actually some independent source confirming the number of rockets being fired at Israel? Or is everyone just taking that shit at face value? I'm seeing lots of pictures of airstrikes but not of rocket impacts. Also do we have any idea what sort of rockets? I've heard everything from military RPGs to homemade rockets with grenades on the end.

Thanks aloysius

Reply #45 Posted: November 19, 2012, 01:58:38 pm

Offline Aloysius

• Just settled in
NP. No idea, but might be interesting.

It's amazing how much coverage this gets in comparison to Syria. 5 days vs more than a year. 50 ISH casualties v 50,000 ISH.

I guess the difference is there is a greater chance of it having the potential to involve other nations, whereas Syria is just in a civil war and it's in the too hard basket for the US.

Reply #46 Posted: November 19, 2012, 02:11:56 pm

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
This shit is scary man, seeing all of these dead kids really hits home when you actually have a child..

I'm not well informed on the current Israel/Palestine situation apart from what I'm seeing on the News and what have you, which so far has been PALESTINE BAD, ISRAEL GOOD and vice versa,
Is there a distinctive 'bad' guy in this situation? one channel is playing up Israel civilians being hit by rockets and the next minute it's the opposite?

What's the gist? or could I chime back to 5th form Social studies, Israel vs Palestine and add 40 years onto the dates?

also, for extra points, isn't Hamas a terrorist organization (again, to the extent of my knowledge, extreme baby brain still) so their leader being assassinated would be a 'good' thing? yes?

I'm so confused :(

Reply #47 Posted: November 19, 2012, 03:40:00 pm

Offline monpepe

• Devoted Member
  • monpepe has no influence.
They are all as bad as each other in that region of the world. Israel does not help the cause when they cause mass collateral damage in their response which is not proportionate to what they received and seem to trying to make the situation worse atm. Election next year I assume.

"It's amazing how much coverage this gets in comparison to Syria. 5 days vs more than a year. 50 ISH casualties v 50,000 ISH."

Syria is terrible. Both sides are committing atrocities on one another (however the ruling regime is worse) and civilians who align with either side tend to be the direct victims  (not via collateral damage.)
Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:59:30 pm by monpepe

Reply #48 Posted: November 19, 2012, 03:47:09 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: winter;1509311
also, for extra points, isn't Hamas a terrorist organization (again, to the extent of my knowledge, extreme baby brain still) so their leader being assassinated would be a 'good' thing? yes?

They are also the elected government so it's not as simple as equating them to Osama and friends.
There is also good reason to believe they have been a lot more moderate than many other groups in gaza, Hamas only launched rockets 3 times this year (before this Israeli Operation) generally in response to an assasinations.
Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:00:18 pm by Bell

Reply #49 Posted: November 19, 2012, 08:07:45 pm