Topic: World's most viewed photograph

Offline Postal2

• I Posted!
  • Postal2 has no influence.
World's most viewed photograph by Charles O'Rear

If you owned a Windows XP computer, then you viewed the image. Called the Bliss, it is the default wallpaper for the Luna theme of Microsoft's XP operating system, which was a big hit for the company. This success of the OS brought the photograph to the living rooms of as many as a billion people.

However, Charles O'Rear, the photographer who clicked the iconic picture, feels that the one-billion-figure is an educated guess rather than a fully-accounted-for statistic. Nevertheless, he does agree that the picture is easily one of the most recognisable across the world.

He says, "All the folks I talk with agree it is the most 'recognisable' photo ever. If it were shown to a villager in rural China, for example, good chance they would recognise it. If it were shown to astronauts on the ISS, good bet they would know it, too. I have seen it appear in photos of the White House situation room, the Kremlin, etc."

O'Rear took the picture five years before Windows XP was rolled out, when he was passing through Napa Valley in California. After he captured the image, he refrained from altering or digitally improving it in any way. Though it is not known how much Microsoft paid for the photograph, O'Rear says that the amount was "extraordinary."

Posted: January 21, 2013, 05:57:06 pm

Offline Equity

• Addicted
  • Equity has no influence.
Interesting...thanks for sharing

Reply #1 Posted: January 22, 2013, 12:06:20 am
"think c2w might be a little to hard core for my skills atm anyways"-Splatter

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Microsoft were going to buy a photo I took of Equity's ass for Windows Vista.

But my asking price was too high.

Reply #2 Posted: January 22, 2013, 08:15:21 am

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
5 dolla?

Reply #3 Posted: January 22, 2013, 08:22:23 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Nostargate;1515555
5 dolla?

Sucky Sucky Me love you long time?

Reply #4 Posted: January 22, 2013, 09:13:05 am

Offline genienz

• Devoted Member
  • genienz has no influence.
Amazing that such a simple photo can have such a story behind it.

Reply #5 Posted: January 22, 2013, 09:44:37 am

Offline camy205

• Addicted
  • camy205 barely matters.camy205 barely matters.
Interesting article, I wonder how much microsoft paid for it

Reply #6 Posted: January 23, 2013, 09:12:02 am
Quote from: Craigorsarus;1484182
GetSome Thread - Generic Timeline:

- Actual Topic
 - Variation of Topic
 - Someone calls someone a retard
 - Fight
 - Actual Topic
 - Fight
 - Troll
 - Your Mum