Topic: Website - Play This Thing!

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1518170
That is so unfair.

Here, play this to cheer you up. An absolutely stunning experience

http://armorgames.com/play/2153/aether

protip: Fall back to 'earth' when you go to space and you will find yourself not in Kansas anymore

That is awesome

Reply #25 Posted: February 15, 2013, 03:55:35 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Scunner;1518123
That's an extreme definition of 'retire'.

Oh I totally have to try this....
An amazing moment...
Frumple   Sep 20 2008, 1:58 pm

Alright, I'm running around with my uber-drow godmonster of a priest/ barb (All stats but luck and cha are over 20. Strength hits _30_ when Zurvash raged. ~160 base HP, ~250 when Z-raged.) when a frikkin' Elder Air Elemental goes and eats me (Dlvl 11 ( my standard game for a while's been challenge/No OoD), came from a floating rock -- the bugger's CR 12. I'm level 9.). I burn through about a dozen healing potions trying to punch my way out -- I've been under the effects of a major dimensional anchor since dungeon level 5, which should tell you just how _badass_ this character is; short form of the situation was that I could quaff pots _just fast enough_ to prevent the elemental from damaging me, but in order to do so, I couldn't attack. Every time I took a swing, I lost 20 hp to the tug of war.

Anyway, I'm on the ropes -- half health or so, and the bugger's only moderately damaged. So -- what do I do? I decide to try something I've yet to do.

And I learn something. You can polymorph creatures from the inside.

I'm about to go medieval on this -- now neutral (go figure, eh?) and badly wounded -- tiger. Keeheeheee.

Reply #26 Posted: February 16, 2013, 12:01:14 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Two fun games let down by their terrible interfaces are:

Wodan - The Trial
http://playthisthing.com/suggestion-wodan-trial

A simple hex based resource management strategy board game where you take over territory with your soldiers. The main problem is that if you do not click on the village that you want to place a soldier next to, then you cant go back and rectify this mistake. The game is probably simple enough to recreate in any programming language, including creating a GUI interface in Visual Basic.
Plus: For a game this simple there really isnt anything to tell you how you are meant to play the game! The game is essentially multiplayer Go, but you can level up your stones ('soldiers') so they cant be captured.

The other fun but disappointing game is:

Armageddon Empires Demo (59 MB)
http://www.crypticcomet.com/

A Hex based Card Game/War Game. The main problem with this game is it is very complicated (needlessly so) and the interface needs five or six button presses to confirm anything.
However there are some very sound strategies in the game such as harassing enemy units using stealth, disrupting supply lines, and besieging facilities/fortresses. It is just buried under terrible, unintuitive interfaces, and some very poor design choices ("I can build a card which will give me 1 resource a turn if I can find that resource OR I can build a unit that will end the game in five turns. Hmm. Decisions decisions)

Reply #27 Posted: February 16, 2013, 03:10:17 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Tiwaking!;1518221
The other fun but disappointing game is:

Armageddon Empires Demo (59 MB)
http://www.crypticcomet.com/

A Hex based Card Game/War Game. The main problem with this game is it is very complicated (needlessly so) and the interface needs five or six button presses to confirm anything.
However there are some very sound strategies in the game such as harassing enemy units using stealth, disrupting supply lines, and besieging facilities/fortresses. It is just buried under terrible, unintuitive interfaces, and some very poor design choices ("I can build a card which will give me 1 resource a turn if I can find that resource OR I can build a unit that will end the game in five turns. Hmm. Decisions decisions)

After finishing a game: This game is brilliant (minus the horrible interface). Anyone who is interested in game design at all OR just likes a Mad Max style,

It is Civilization done the way it should be. A million options. Limited Time. Limited Resources. Limited Opportunity.
Needs a much better help support system though.

http://www.matchstickeyes.com/2012/07/15/armageddon-empires-lessons-from-a-five-year-old-indie-strategy-game/

Reply #28 Posted: February 16, 2013, 01:26:05 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1518064
And not in flash.

I approve.
But do you know opengl?

Reply #29 Posted: February 17, 2013, 11:29:52 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1518355
I approve.
But do you know opengl?

For the web?

Reply #30 Posted: February 18, 2013, 08:49:13 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Tiwaking!;1518221
Two fun games let down by their terrible interfaces are:

Wodan - The Trial
http://playthisthing.com/suggestion-wodan-trial

A simple hex based resource management strategy board game where you take over territory with your soldiers. The main problem is that if you do not click on the village that you want to place a soldier next to, then you cant go back and rectify this mistake. The game is probably simple enough to recreate in any programming language, including creating a GUI interface in Visual Basic.
Plus: For a game this simple there really isnt anything to tell you how you are meant to play the game! The game is essentially multiplayer Go, but you can level up your stones ('soldiers') so they cant be captured.

There is a remake of this game called Slay which contains all the fixes
http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/slay.html

Unfortunately: It begs you for money. I wouldnt pay money for this. I could make something better.

Reply #31 Posted: February 18, 2013, 03:19:08 pm

Quote from: Tiwaking!;1518405
I could make something better.

Do it.

in Visual Basic.

Reply #32 Posted: February 18, 2013, 03:20:39 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

This needs music, but it is weirdly compelling.
Dust
http://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/dust/

protip: Place a Fan somewhere, then Soap+Gunpowder+Magma

Add a few Players and Fighters if you like to see Stick Figures get mutilated
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1518406
Do it.

in Visual Basic.

No
Well. Not in Visual Basic.

Reply #33 Posted: February 18, 2013, 03:57:36 pm

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1518408
This needs music, but it is weirdly compelling.
Dust
http://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/dust/

protip: Place a Fan somewhere, then Soap+Gunpowder+Magma

Add a few Players and Fighters if you like to see Stick Figures get mutilated

I love these little physics/dust games :D The Best is definitely 'Powder Toy'

Reply #34 Posted: February 18, 2013, 04:54:00 pm
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Tiwaking!;1518165
This game requires Firefox or Safari. No Opera allowed

Pfft.
Although I'm sure it probably works fine in Opera as is, soon Opera will be using Chromium's webkit & V8 so it won't matter.

Reply #35 Posted: February 18, 2013, 11:09:48 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Quote from: Tiwaking!;1518165
This game requires Firefox or Safari. No Opera allowed
http://www.forumwarz.com/

WTF?!

You seem to be using an unsupported web browser.

We highly recommend the latest version of Firefox (3.0.6 at the time of this writing) which is absolutely free and available on all major operating systems.
However, the game should run fine on Internet Explorer 7 and Safari 3.2.

If you are running an older version of those web browsers you should seriously consider upgrading

I'm running Internet Explorer 9, why does the game not work for me?

Reply #36 Posted: February 19, 2013, 08:02:14 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Reply #37 Posted: February 20, 2013, 05:05:26 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Quote from: Spacemonkey;1518169
This post says it's fake, just AI bots.
http://seb.ly/2012/04/gotcha-fake-mmo-asteroids-april-fool/

I'm not impressed.

Okay now I am really REALLY unimpressed when there are games like this:
hell is other people
http://nottheinternet.com/hell/

http://playthisthing.com/hell-other-people
When I say the phrase "online multiplayer" visions of tea-bagging and PvP probably fill your head. They don't apply here though, as you are playing against opponents across a temporal divide -- not just a physical one. This is indeed a multiplayer game, but instead of duking it out in real-time you face an echo of their playthrough. You know, their ghost. This asynchronous multiplayer brings out some interesting playstyles, and is fun to see in action. The game's tagline is awesome enough that I'll reproduce it here: "So the guy I'm fighting is actually a recording - a recording of a fight against a recording of a fight, all the way back to the beginning of time?"

The controls are simple, given that you have the same move and shoot verbs you possess in every shmup since forever. When you blast an enemy they drop health and a weapon, which have either horizontal or vertical firing patterns. As you progress more and more enemies appear on the screen -- eventually you become overwhelmed and die. So far so tame, right? The cool part is that you aren't shooting mindless drones with repetitive AI, you have that pesky human element to deal with. Your enemies are all recordings of previous playthroughs of other players, and when you die your recording joins their ranks.

In my playing I came across a bunch of playstyles emerge from the game's basic framework. I saw white hat players that refused to fire and simply buzzed about the stage. I fought some malicious buggers that jetted about the screen erratically and sent out a constant stream of bullets; I quickly shot down bumbling enemies foolish enough to stand still. After a while I saw a character that shared my initials that zoomed across the stage and shot me down. My past self from ten minutes ago went and blew me up -- I ended up acting out a time travel paradox.

Reply #38 Posted: February 20, 2013, 08:44:37 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Reply #39 Posted: February 26, 2013, 04:16:57 pm

You wouldn't hate achievements if there were an achievement for thread necromancy.

Reply #40 Posted: February 26, 2013, 04:50:32 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Reply #41 Posted: February 26, 2013, 07:59:32 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

A wonderful little game that only takes about 20 minutes. 20 minutes well spent.
http://jayisgames.com/games/small-worlds/

Reply #42 Posted: February 26, 2013, 08:13:39 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Captain Forever
http://www.captainforever.com/captainforever.php
Play it. You wont regret it. Here are some tips:
Your starting command module comes with a gun. The gun is disabled if you place a girder on the front of your ship.
Engines work even when attached to the INSIDE of your ship, so a hollow ship is a excellent idea.
Your guns can hit your own ship
If you accidentally fly into another ship, they will try to kill you.
Try to place Green modules on the inside and darker (stronger) modules on the outside
Try to create a |_| formation at the front of the ship so your command module can still fire
Try to manuever enemies so they shoot and kill each other
You can loot any module you can click on, even if there is an enemy ship on it
A Borg Cube or Vogon Brick is a possible layout as long as the components are even

Have fun! I played this for an untold amount of time, but my last game went for an hour before I accidentally disconnected half of my ship, spun round in a circle, and shot all my modules to pieces

Reply #43 Posted: February 26, 2013, 10:21:40 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Gang Garrison - The Team Fortress Two version of Soldat!
http://www.ganggarrison.com/

Reply #44 Posted: February 27, 2013, 12:14:57 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Civilization with One Button!

War and Peace
Switch between War and Peace modes at the single touch of a button!
http://www.stephanebura.com/warandpeace/

Very similar to Conways Game of Life

Reply #45 Posted: February 27, 2013, 02:42:40 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Wazabi - The Card Game

An utterly bizarre french card game
http://wazabi-online.com/

Based on the real life card game
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/48979/wazabi
Simple Rules:
 We've got dices and cards.
 With dices we can give a dice to an another player, draw cards, and/or play a card.
 Cards can remove dice from the game, give dice to another player, draw other cards, or many other interactive things.

The winner is the first player to have no dice left.

Reply #46 Posted: February 27, 2013, 03:13:03 am

Offline Tiwaking!

And finally a charming little Slovakian game:
Little Wheel
http://fastgames.com/littlewheel.html

Reply #47 Posted: February 27, 2013, 03:42:55 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Reply #48 Posted: February 27, 2013, 11:19:00 am

Offline Tiwaking!

Creeping
http://www.kongregate.com/games/MaxAbernethy/creeping
An oddly fun flash game ruined by the fact it is Flash

Reply #49 Posted: February 27, 2013, 02:13:46 pm