Topic: Shipping Dangerous goods into NZ

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
Just wanting to know if anyone has shipped dangerous goods into NZ before, and how much trouble is it? Im trying to see how hard it would be to get some class 9 dangerous goods into the country - specifically Li-ion batteries that weight about 5Kg each.

from the little bit of reading ive done, IATA and FAA wont allow this size onto aircraft, so any advice on shipping or any names of companies that you may have delt with for shipping dangerous goods, and experiences with them is much appreicated

Posted: February 01, 2014, 08:59:19 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
I've imported Firearms and Firearm parts. It took two months to clear customs.

Its not really worth it from my experience.

Reply #1 Posted: February 01, 2014, 09:07:10 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Where's it coming FROM I think is the more pertinent question.

Reply #2 Posted: February 01, 2014, 09:55:01 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
Where's it coming FROM I think is the more pertinent question.

USA

Reply #3 Posted: February 01, 2014, 09:55:24 am
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Right hence the FAA. So they are actually relevant.

And what does the CAA say about transporting these things?
If it has to go between islands it could go by plane, or if by truck what do folk like Freightways NZ have to say?

Reply #4 Posted: February 01, 2014, 09:57:33 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Someone is building an electric car or electric bike?

I want a build thread damnit!

Reply #5 Posted: February 01, 2014, 10:17:00 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
If you jump on the NZ Post website, the restriction is only minor for NZ. We just require the appropriate labels and crap like that on the declaration.

I have a myus.com shipping account, and they automatically do the necessary for a small fee, but I have had a number of batteries arrive for GoPro, remote vehicles and the likes without any holdups at customs or otherwise.

Reply #6 Posted: February 01, 2014, 10:25:51 am
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
If you jump on the NZ Post website, the restriction is only minor for NZ. We just require the appropriate labels and crap like that on the declaration.

I have a myus.com shipping account, and they automatically do the necessary for a small fee, but I have had a number of batteries arrive for GoPro, remote vehicles and the likes without any holdups at customs or otherwise.

yeah but a gopro/radio controlled sized li-ion will potentially cause a fire on board.

A 5Kg li-ion will blow a hole in the side of the aircraft.

modify: IF it fails

Reply #7 Posted: February 01, 2014, 10:37:56 am

Offline Pyromanik

How unstable are they? I thought they were better than most other options.

Reply #8 Posted: February 01, 2014, 11:01:08 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
I believe the long story is that they aren't unstable.

But using a cellphone on a plane is still a no-no, despite that causing no issues, ever.

Reply #9 Posted: February 01, 2014, 03:32:44 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
I'd suggesting using a freigth forwarder to arrange everything for you.. It will prolly cost you an arm and a leg though.

Reply #10 Posted: February 01, 2014, 03:55:32 pm

Offline Pyromanik

I believe the long story is that they aren't unstable.

But using a cellphone on a plane is still a no-no, despite that causing no issues, ever.

Yeah, that's what I thought. But suddenly they're all EVEN THE BATTERIES ARE BAD.
I guess if you short them they might heat up to failure point... but then I even got a metal knife last time I was on a plane.

Reply #11 Posted: February 02, 2014, 01:02:28 am

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Your handlers didn't take it away from you? Slack.

Reply #12 Posted: February 02, 2014, 08:39:55 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
how many you need to bring over?

Reply #13 Posted: February 02, 2014, 08:48:34 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
How unstable are they? I thought they were better than most other options.

The material is very stable, but when rapidly discharged (shorted out) it burns.

There have been quite a few reports of laptops and cellphones popping all over the place, some fairly serious burns to users and high risk of buildings burning down, but those batteries only weight a couple hundred grams? 5Kg is a huge Li-Ion

If you happen to get the battery that was built on Friday afternoon, tested on Monday morning then maybe it has a wiring fault.

I'm not saying this stuff happens often at all, just that this is the justification airlines and freight companies use for charging you so much for freighting batteries.

Reply #14 Posted: February 02, 2014, 09:25:16 am

Offline Pyromanik

The thing that got me was that taking batteries for all my devices on the plane was fine, so long as none of the devices also had a SPARE battery.

I was all o.0 uderp -.-

Reply #15 Posted: February 02, 2014, 10:39:51 am

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
The thing that got me was that taking batteries for all my devices on the plane was fine, so long as none of the devices also had a SPARE battery.

I was all o.0 uderp -.-

Batteries in the device are unlikely to be accidentally shorted - eg they are only a fire risk if the device fails, which is unlikely. Spare batteries on the other hand are a real risk if not properly stored.  A battery chucked in a suitcase pocket, there happens to be a leftover coin or paperclip in there, and 1/2 way through the flight it connects = fire.

My understanding was that you can't pack spares in your checked in luggage, but you can take them with you in the cabin, because if it caught fire in the overhead locker or under your seat it would be noticed very quickly, and relatively easy to extinguish, compared with the cargo hold.

Reply #16 Posted: February 02, 2014, 12:46:47 pm

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
Someone is building an electric car or electric bike?

I want a build thread damnit!

power source for a robot

example of LiPo with issues care of NZ Fire service:

Safety Alert 1: LiPo batteries

now not all lithium batteries will do that if damaged - LiFe batteries will not react as violently as LiPo batteries. Hence why we use LiFe batteries with first year students - because often they do not treat things with enough care and using LiFe stops us from having fires in the teaching labs all the time.

if you want a quick guide to finding out what type of battery you have in certain devices divide the voltage by the following numbers - if the result is a whole number - ie no decimal place, then its most likely that type of battery. The whole number refers to the number of cells in the battery, which is why you cant have decimal places - you cant get 0.xx of a cell

LiPo - 3.7V per cell
LiFe - 3.3V per cell
(there is a 3rd type but i have forgotten what it is and its voltage - by i think its 3.4V)

ie if you battery says 11.1V test by dividing by 3.7 and 3.4 - the answer that doesnt have a decimal place is the correct one

answer in spoiler
Spoiler :
its a LiPo
Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:00:58 pm by private_hell

Reply #17 Posted: February 02, 2014, 01:39:18 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
power source for a robot

Build thread.

Reply #18 Posted: February 02, 2014, 06:24:01 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
How many do you need to bring in?

I have family that are in international shipping and also customs clearance so I may be able to assist you.

Reply #19 Posted: February 02, 2014, 07:12:43 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
How many do you need to bring in?

I have family that are in international shipping and also customs clearance so I may be able to assist you.

just two batteries - i'll flick you a pm tomorrow - this is work talk and its the weekend :)

Reply #20 Posted: February 02, 2014, 09:21:53 pm

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
Slightly off subject, but related (batteries and explosions). Last year one of the Motogp teams had a battery on one of their bike roller starters go boom in the pit shed. Apparently they use the LI batteries for this application as it obviously has significant weight savings compared to a regular battery, and when you are racing around the world all the freight saving out be pretty substantial.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/fire-in-monster-yamaha-tech-3-garage-at-cota-not-expected-to-impact-race-weekend/

Reply #21 Posted: February 03, 2014, 08:17:36 am

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!
Guns don't kill people, 5kg Li-ion Batteries do.

Reply #22 Posted: February 04, 2014, 11:13:23 am