Topic: Global Game Jam 2013

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
I participated in this year’s Global Game Jam, held at Media Design School last weekend.

This is my team’s game.

Eat Your Heart Out
http://globalgamejam.org/2013/eat-your-heart-out

Eat your Heart Out is a hide-and-seek multiplayer game where the Heart Bearer (Controlled by one player) has to avoid detection by the Searchers (Up to 3 other players) until he can power up and enter Heart-Eater mode and attack other players. Searchers have to use audio and visual cues to find the Heart Bearer.

The game is most fun with 4 people. Is played using the keyboard, and xbox controllers are supported in chrome.

Platform: Web - HTML

Some other highlights from the Auckland Game Jam

heartBEATbox 5: Heart of the City
http://globalgamejam.org/2013/heartbeatbox-5-heart-city

Geard MacChucklin has been crushed by his arch nemesis in the most important rap battle of his life. He reacts in the only way he knows how; by tearing out his own heart, handing it to his son Balclutha, and telling him to finish what he could not... lay down rhymes of sufficient sickness to end a rap-feud older than time itself. Speak the last word of every diss to win the rap battle!

This game is short, but awesome, worth it just for the cut scenes.

Platform: Windows

Awkward Adventure RPG
http://globalgamejam.org/2013/awkward-adventure-rpg

This game involves a socially awkward teenager named Eric who is trying to navigate a series of complicated social situations in order to ensure he doesn't die of a heart attack.

Like an RPG, but the character Eric has trouble interacting with other people like girls and jocks.
Platform: Windows

Pulse Vision
http://globalgamejam.org/2013/pulse-vision

This game is a stealth based game with bat like sonar, that runs off the beat of your heart. The faster you move the faster your heart beats and the smaller your vision gets. Beware for enemies that roam the levels, if they detect you then its game over.

Well made, and was the favorite of the Auckland Game Jam.
Platform: Web - Flash

Also, check out the games around the rest of New Zealand
http://globalgamejam.org/locations?field_country_tid=483&field_city_tid=&=Apply

Posted: January 29, 2013, 08:52:43 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Flash?  FLAAAAASH!? FLASH!!!!?

Web standard (Html5, Java, JavaScript, Flash)

Java and Flash are not web standard.

Pokes aside, they all look really nice.
I would like to do a game jam one day, but I fear I would be required to know something about computers.
Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 08:28:51 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #1 Posted: January 29, 2013, 08:18:07 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
You don't have to know anything about computers.

Lots of artists, sound people, idea guys were there.

Reply #2 Posted: January 29, 2013, 08:56:55 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
I am none of those.

Reply #3 Posted: January 29, 2013, 09:05:36 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1516238
Pulse Vision
http://globalgamejam.org/2013/pulse-vision

Well made, and was the favorite of the Auckland Game Jam.
Platform: Web - Flash

That is a damn good game.

Reply #4 Posted: January 29, 2013, 09:25:26 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Quote from: Pyromanik;1516322
Flash?  FLAAAAASH!? FLASH!!!!?

Java and Flash are not web standard.

Agreed, sucks that they put java and flash in the same category as javascript.

Reply #5 Posted: January 29, 2013, 09:39:55 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Though to be fair ActionScript IS an implementation of ECMAScript.

But if the idea was to make web native games... but then allow non web native tech... that seems a bit backwards to me.
Still, broadens the entry abilities I guess. More people get to jam more games!

Reply #6 Posted: January 30, 2013, 08:08:49 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Pyromanik;1516322
I would like to do a game jam one day, but I fear I would be required to know something about computers.

You can be Internal Supervisor!

Reply #7 Posted: January 31, 2013, 08:08:30 pm

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Im guessing one of the requirements was that the games must have something to do with the kidneys.

Reply #8 Posted: January 31, 2013, 09:09:31 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

http://setijam.seti.org/?utm_content=buffer7aaeb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
This year is the SETI Game Jam! Thats right, you'll have access to real data!
Join the SETI-JAM
Game developers around the planet are invited to join the next great adventure in science-based gaming - the SETI-JAM

The Jam Launches October 17-19th, registration opens September 29th.

Join your fellow intrepid game-scientists to create fun, educational games based upon the real science and data from some of the most advanced telescopes and NASA missions! The SETI-Jam is open to all, whether you’re a veteran developer, hobbyist, or student. Your games will not only be great achievements in coding prowess, but will also help capture the public’s interest in the actual science and technology advancements helping humanity understand the origin, nature, and prevalence of life in the universe!

The SETI-JAM is a global endeavor. Game developers from anywhere, on or off the planet can participate. The Jam is a three day experience beginning on Friday evening and concluding with game presentations on Sunday evening.

Reply #9 Posted: September 16, 2014, 08:21:45 pm