Topic: whats the best game ever

Offline deamora

• Devoted Member
  • deamora has no influence.
:rolleyes:  ok what do you think is the best game you've ever played and why?

for me it's prbably the elite series of space sim games - good story / good game play / and total freedom (sound familar ?) was around in the eighties and is possibly a precurser to games such as freelancer. Flip side of the cion would have to be civilisation 1/2/3 as far as turn based stratergy , of course you could add railway tycoon but civ for me just edges it out anyway would be interested on your thoughts about which game(s) wherre are your all time favs :bounce:

forgot to add fps morrowind/bloodmoon/tribunal  great visuals storyline gameply also an open ended game which allows you to go off on your own and explore or follow either the main quest or multiply other side quests. :bigglasse

Posted: August 13, 2005, 10:45:41 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Transport Tycoon, one of the first games I ever played, and I still play it sometimes. The first C&C was great, but the number 1 game of all time, has to be none other then...

Duke Nukem 3D

"I'm going to rip off your head and shit down your neck."

Reply #1 Posted: August 13, 2005, 11:35:00 pm

Offline Verrt

• Addicted
  • Verrt has no influence.
Chess

Reply #2 Posted: August 13, 2005, 11:46:25 pm

Offline Darkov

• Just settled in
  • Darkov has no influence.
Doom. In fact...I might go play Doom MP now. Bye.

Reply #3 Posted: August 13, 2005, 11:55:58 pm

Offline Netherai

• Just settled in
  • Netherai has no influence.
Morrowind

It's a game so open that I still haven't finished with it :)

When I first started playing, it was so pretty that I walked to the end of the pier in Seyda Neen and watched the rain on the water :) Later on that day I watched the clouds pass across the two moons moving through the sky.

I love it. It's like a home away from home... with diseased demons LOL :D

Netherai.

Reply #4 Posted: August 14, 2005, 12:39:13 am
L\'enfer, c\'est les autres

Offline Langerz_Unit

• Just settled in
  • Langerz_Unit has no influence.
Quote from: Netherai
Morrowind

It's a game so open that I still haven't finished with it :)

When I first started playing, it was so pretty that I walked to the end of the pier in Seyda Neen and watched the rain on the water :) Later on that day I watched the clouds pass across the two moons moving through the sky.

I love it. It's like a home away from home... with diseased demons LOL :D

Netherai.

pfft, the corprus disease is no match for me!

awesome graphics and gameplay though, i might install and play now!! even better with all the expansions!

cant wait for the next one

Reply #5 Posted: August 14, 2005, 12:47:26 am
Theres two types of people in this world of mine, one serves a purpose, the other serves time, one can see it all
while the other is blind, one gets riddled, while the other rhymes, one sees the borders, the other draws lines, one
knows the meaning of  eternal life-time, ones head is clouded with the visons of dyin, one lives forever the other
dies tryin\'!

Offline deamora

• Devoted Member
  • deamora has no influence.
awesome graphics and gameplay though, i might install and play now!! even better with all the expansions!

cant wait for the next one[/quote]

agreed

http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/team_rpgnextgen.htm :D

Reply #6 Posted: August 14, 2005, 12:54:20 am

Offline bloodyYOKEL-NZ

• Addicted
  • bloodyYOKEL-NZ has no influence.
COMMANDER KEEN!!!1111!!ONEONE

duke nukem 3d comes a close second

Reply #7 Posted: August 14, 2005, 12:49:27 pm

There is certanly more to life, most people dont appreciate what that is.

Offline xtp

• Just settled in
  • xtp has no influence.
(1) Half-life. at the time there was nothing like it on the market... it rocked.
(2)I also like painkiller because of its awesome sets and bring-it-on enemies.
(3)unreal because of its colorful levels.

i know thats 3 but i still play all of them regularly.

Reply #8 Posted: August 14, 2005, 06:53:24 pm
"We need to get bigger guns. BIG F***** GUNS!" - Dick Durkin

Offline pukeko

• Just settled in
  • pukeko has no influence.
Quote from: Space Monkey
Duke Nukem 3D

That game was fun! :) If I looked at it now though, I might just keel over at the graphics..

Placing pipe bombs all over the map and detonating them all at the same time  :bigglasse

Reply #9 Posted: August 14, 2005, 07:03:18 pm

Offline QUPHOZ

• Addicted
  • QUPHOZ has no influence.
Transport tycoon ELITE,

TTD was a joke.

best game now BF2 :rnr:

Reply #10 Posted: August 14, 2005, 07:38:00 pm
R.I.P Dirty Heathan

Affliction For life

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: QUPHOZ
Transport tycoon ELITE,

Whats that?

Reply #11 Posted: August 14, 2005, 07:54:07 pm

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
elite - the mother of all space exploration  /trade and ship to ship battle games. elite 2 unfortunately slightly buggy and well decidedly average / elite 3 - more bugs / less development.
privateer - what elite was headed to. nicer graphics great plot /quests. trading was dumped.
freelancer the multiplayer. never played it. lost interest in the genre.
RPG
baldurs gate - fantastic left ultima series reeling. played the entire series. morrowind was just more of the same?
RTS
star craft C&C / red alert / RA2 / C&C generals.
FPS
doom / halflife / BF2
first two 'shame about the sequels' halflife 2 was disappointingly short and apart from geewhiz graphics (like doom3) had no real interesting new stuff.

Course theres a thousand games i loved to play over the years (super cars 2 - AMIGA / Last Ninja series - AMIGA / Bruce Lee -c64 / International karate / way of the exploding fist / barbarian - c64 & amiga) and lots i can't remember the names of there was a awesome side scrolling shooter for c64, silkworm on teh Amiga was pretty good. Metal Gear solid - PS  / Soul Blade - dreamcast.

BF2 is simply the most advanced, but i am pretty sure a mod for BF2 engine will become more popular & fun than bf2 soon enough. FEAR seems to be getting some good reviews too.

Reply #12 Posted: August 14, 2005, 10:56:54 pm

Offline SLAYER!@#

• Addicted
  • SLAYER!@# has no influence.
Quake and Grand Theft Auto

Classic's!

Reply #13 Posted: August 14, 2005, 10:58:09 pm

omg, GTA, that was awesome!!!!

Reply #14 Posted: August 15, 2005, 09:06:04 am

Offline Temp

• Addicted
  • Temp has no influence.
RTCWMP

Reply #15 Posted: August 15, 2005, 09:08:46 am

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
  • Xt1ncT has no influence.
There was a game called Elite - going back many many years. It was sort of a pre-runner to Freelancer, and it was awesome. I think that would be one of the best.

In FPS terms you can't go past the likes of Quake and Doom, and obviously CS is the most popular online game ever....BF2 is pretty shit hot as well.

Reply #16 Posted: August 15, 2005, 09:36:40 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Best RPG
Baldurs Gate 2, Throne of Bhaal - awesome story, great ending to the series. One of the highlights of my gaming career was when i finally got an audience with the dark elf high priestess and instead of doing her bidding my 33lvl monk walked up to her and quivering palmed her - killing her outright. (and no, quivering palm is nothing sexual). You really need to play all the other BG's to get the full appreciation of this game.

:edit:
And yeah I fully agree, Elite was the best game on it's platform. And Last Ninja was a close second. The sound track to that game was awesome.

Reply #17 Posted: August 15, 2005, 09:54:49 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
lol ape, i can't remember how i finished BG2, i remember i was a sorcerer and had a shitload of death magic.

Reply #18 Posted: August 15, 2005, 10:46:06 am

Offline Alex

• Just settled in
  • Alex has no influence.
pizza tycoon
railroad tycoon
simcity original
simearth
civilisation 1
colonization
xcom: ufo enemy unknown
xcom: terror from the deep
street rods
master of orion
master of magic

cant remember anymore, but there plenty of other classics than simply own todays games

Reply #19 Posted: August 15, 2005, 10:47:13 am

Offline Jack_L

• Addicted
  • Jack_L has no influence.
moon cresta
castle wolf (the original)
defender
quix
choplifter
Streetfight 2
SimCity 2, was much better then 1
Freelancer

Reply #20 Posted: August 15, 2005, 02:40:40 pm
People who say that stats don\'t matter are 98% more likely to tell you that size isn\'t important.

Guess what...

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
mercenary
star glider 2
actually i remember playing a game (damned if i can remember its name it was on the Amiga 500) it was 3d and you were a single player versus the enemy who controlled everything basically you were behind enemy lines, there were jeeps / tanks/ helicopters /  boats / windsurfers! &  men, your weapons were a gun & grenades (and the vehicles) it was all green for land blue for water. there were sharks in the water and missiles, always watching fuel levels and you got linear 'missions' goto A destroy the antenna and return. etc. I can't beleive i totally forgot this game existed and it annoys the hell out of me that i can't think of its name. its like the original battlefield but not multiplayer, and oddly enough had more vehicles / stuff. it was about the time carrier command was out.

Reply #21 Posted: August 15, 2005, 03:18:07 pm

Offline Caveman

• Addicted
  • Caveman has no influence.
Enjoyed Transport tycoon.
As a kid used to like Death Track (dunno just something about blowing things up while in a car race)

Reply #22 Posted: August 15, 2005, 03:50:55 pm

Offline Heswe

• Addicted
  • Heswe has no influence.
Deus Ex, easily. Hands down, most fun I've had in the first person enviroment. When it comes to being addicted to a game, it would have to be either KotOR or KotOR2, both of which ended up in all nighters for a single player game.

Reply #23 Posted: August 15, 2005, 03:51:53 pm
"One day people love you more than they\'ve ever loved anything in the world. And the next,
you\'re in front of a courthouse dancing on top of a car." - Dave Chapelle

Offline Temp

• Addicted
  • Temp has no influence.
Quote from: Black Heart

actually i remember playing a game (damned if i can remember its name it was on the Amiga 500) it was 3d and you were a single player versus the enemy who controlled everything basically you were behind enemy lines, there were jeeps / tanks/ helicopters /  boats / windsurfers! &  men, your weapons were a gun & grenades (and the vehicles) it was all green for land blue for water. there were sharks in the water and missiles, always watching fuel levels and you got linear 'missions' goto A destroy the antenna and return. etc. I can't beleive i totally forgot this game existed and it annoys the hell out of me that i can't think of its name. its like the original battlefield but not multiplayer, and oddly enough had more vehicles / stuff. it was about the time carrier command was out.

I remember that too, not the name though. Was a great game.

Elite on the amstrad was great as well, tough to dock though!

Reply #24 Posted: August 15, 2005, 04:13:37 pm