Topic: Paywave at its best

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:09:33 pm by Gutty

Posted: July 20, 2014, 08:07:20 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
It's just RFID, what did you expect?

Reply #1 Posted: July 20, 2014, 08:35:22 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
It's just RFID, what did you expect?

^

I still can't really believe it's a thing (despite using it myself - card has it whether I use it or not though).
Although I didn't expect that phones could emulate RFID without modification.
Not sure whether to believe this or not.

Reply #2 Posted: July 21, 2014, 04:51:07 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Paywave is awesome. Makes me feel like a boss when paying for things.

What? Pin number? yeah right! I'm paying in the future!

Bunch of paranoid folks on that facebook page. Bank covers you for fraud anyway.

Reply #3 Posted: July 21, 2014, 09:20:12 am

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!

Bunch of paranoid folks on that Facebook page. Bank covers you for fraud anyway.

Exactly why i didn't comment, the bank guarantee up to 80 dollars, so they take all the risk for your freedom and time saving.

Someone steals your money and makes 10 x 80$ purchases, gg banks problem not yours.

Reply #4 Posted: July 21, 2014, 10:36:56 am
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Bank doesn't cover you for identity theft though, and a CC can be used as a form of ID.

Reply #5 Posted: July 21, 2014, 10:54:57 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
 Identity theft is a real concern for me. Because everyone wants to be awesome like Spacemonkey.

Reply #6 Posted: July 21, 2014, 11:58:08 am

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
I used to be like that SM, but now I realise that they just can't be as awesome as me.... You just can't emulate perfection.

Reply #7 Posted: July 21, 2014, 12:02:34 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Clin

• Addicted
  • Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!Clin is awe-inspiring!
This video will cascade and make the practice more common.

Reply #8 Posted: July 21, 2014, 12:10:23 pm

lol @ console hate

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
Bank doesn't cover you for identity theft though, and a CC can be used as a form of ID.

Yeah, but pay wave doesn't increase the chances it will be used to fake your identity, this is a general issue with credit cards, not pay wave in particular.

That's like saying having a cheque book causes paper cuts, while it can happen, its not directly attributed to cheque books.
Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:07:48 pm by DarkVirus

Reply #9 Posted: July 21, 2014, 02:03:56 pm
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted

Yeah, but pay wave doesn't increase the chances it will be used to fake your identity, this is a general issue with credit cards, not pay wave in particular.

That's like saying having a cheque book causes paper cuts, while it can happen, its not directly attributed to cheque books.

It does increase the chances because it makes acquiring the information easier in the first place.

Without paywave you have to read the information off the physical card, which means you must have the card in your possession for long enough to do so, and in such a manner as to not raise suspicion.

The card can be canceled if suspicions are raised and the identity is much more secure.

With paywave the owner of the identity may not be aware that their details have been compromised at all, therefore they may not cancel their card and their identity may be compromised.

The simple solution is to install a faraday cage into your card slot, the elegant solution is to design and sell wallets with the faraday cage built in (there's an idea!) this way your card is only vulnerable while making a purchase, when a person is least likely to swipe a phone by it.

Otherwise if you lose your wallet the old rules apply.

Reply #10 Posted: July 21, 2014, 04:01:37 pm

It would be interesting to actually know the number of fraud cases committed using chip cards.

That video on Facebook is hardly convincing, it's just a blurry video of a guy in a dark room, I can't even make out any detail on his phone, he could be showing me his flappy bird high score for all I know.

I wonder if the phone actually shows the unencrypted data (card number, date and persons name), and if he's actually gone into the store and tried it to see if it works.

Reply #11 Posted: July 21, 2014, 05:25:17 pm

Offline nevjmac

• Just settled in
  • nevjmac has no influence.
It would be interesting to actually know the number of fraud cases committed using chip cards.

That video on Facebook is hardly convincing, it's just a blurry video of a guy in a dark room, I can't even make out any detail on his phone, he could be showing me his flappy bird high score for all I know.

I wonder if the phone actually shows the unencrypted data (card number, date and persons name), and if he's actually gone into the store and tried it to see if it works.

Yea this, I also find it hard that he has actually scanned anything with his phone, without seeing legit details and it doing more than just his own personal card. I find this hard to believe.

Reply #12 Posted: July 21, 2014, 05:59:22 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Guy sounds like a chav.

No sale, butt pirate.

Reply #13 Posted: July 21, 2014, 07:04:56 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

Bunch of paranoid folks on that facebook page. Bank covers you for fraud anyway.

Nooope, credit cards yes, but not with deibt cards!
so far as I understand it

Not sure whether to believe this or not.

Exactly.

I'd hope that visa (et. al.) have sorted out a more secure transmission/auth method than plain text tbh.
Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:15:05 am by Pyromanik

Reply #14 Posted: July 22, 2014, 11:08:22 am

Offline ArtanisNZ

• Addicted
  • ArtanisNZ has no influence.
A good beefy hole punch takes quick care of the paywave chip :P

I have used this app also to show staff from a local ANZ branch that have coffee and the same place I do and boy they weren't very impressed with the idea of paywave any more.
Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:44:44 pm by ArtanisNZ

Reply #15 Posted: July 22, 2014, 12:42:02 pm

Nooope, credit cards yes, but not with deibt cards!
so far as I understand it

The letter that came with my Visa debit card said it was protected under it's Zero Liability policy.

Reply #16 Posted: July 22, 2014, 12:51:32 pm

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
did you guys see his other video with the 2 back to back?

i hadn't asked him about what comes up on the screen, looks like the number codes and then the details :o
if artanis has used it, fill us in mate

Reply #17 Posted: July 22, 2014, 01:53:05 pm

Offline ArtanisNZ

• Addicted
  • ArtanisNZ has no influence.
Before the details are the hash details for the transaction, bank routing stuff for visa mainly.

Reply #18 Posted: July 22, 2014, 05:26:24 pm

Offline Pyromanik

A good beefy hole punch takes quick care of the paywave chip :P

I have used this app also to show staff from a local ANZ branch that have coffee and the same place I do and boy they weren't very impressed with the idea of paywave any more.

The only ones that ever were were those who have NFI about 'near' field communications.
Or common sense.

In order for something to be read from a distance, it must either broadcast a signal constantly, or on demand. Through objects (as it's not line of sight). Bad but effective analogy: A personal radio station constantly broadcasting your bank details in your pocket. All it needs is for someone to tune in...

Reply #19 Posted: July 24, 2014, 07:38:08 am