Topic: GetSome TF2 Newsletter #2 - July 2014

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
Hi again!

Welcome to my monthly dribble on whats going on around the GetSome TF2 traps.

To begin with, I would like to remind you that there is a LAN event on at the end of september that you should attend, if you can't, try and get there! Check out the "It's LAN Time!" thread in the general forums on the website.

We are at the end of the school holidays once again. This one hasn't been so bad as the last one in relation to annoyance from young players, but we have had the odd few problems. In saying that, I would like to point out a few things to some of our new comers.

# Get used to the younger ones playing the game, and the fact they have a voice too. The game has a mute button for a reason, feel free to use it.

# When it comes to trading, a lot of them don't know values, don't know how to use the checking system, and/or don't know they are even on a trading server. They may see a full'ish server and jump in for a shoot'em'up kill all game.

# As the young ones play the game, they appear to talk about it in their schools and in doing so,  it brings more
interest to the game.

# When it comes to versing players that have more experience than you, you need to understand that there is nothing you can do about it. Making a complaint will not get you anywhere. Unless of course there's a big issue and you can prove they have some kind of aim-bot or hack.

Mic/chat spamming is a nuisance and we like to keep control on it, but we are not always around to be able to stop it.

We are working on putting systems in place to have a permanent call for help command available to all players, '!call <reason>'. This will help with some problematic servers. Hopefully this will be implemented by this time next month.

On to the Hale servers, things seem to be going well here. I have a short list of maps that need to be taken out of the rotation, as requested by some of our admins.
You would of noticed freak fortress didn't go as planned, so we put on a second hale instead. It is generating good usage now that its been up for a couple of weeks. With the same maps, settings and rotation are on that server as Hale #1.
If you have any new map suggestions feel free to mention it on our forums.

The Trade servers have still been ticking along nicely. The '!kson' script appears to be in use more and more. which is great to see. If you are unfamiliar with it, it is used to put your kill-streak at full setting to enable your effects, this helps when it comes to the sale/trade of your pro kill streak items.

I still see spamming of trade adverts, but people get the message and learn to stop. We advise a once in 30 second trade message.

It is usually the new comers to the servers that don't read or know the rules. Even if it is stated when they have joined. The reason we want to stop spamming, is simply because we have both trade servers linked with Interchat, so the spam/flooding of a notice is directed at 2 potentially full servers (64 players). It's not just one person getting annoyed at it.

As the guys at valve focus on releasing updates to their new maps we are trying to make them available to you as well. At random times, you will see that either the KOTH or PLCP servers will be running the 2 new maps for your viewing in the public arena.
Robot Destruction has undergone 2 big changes over the last couple of weeks, and the gameplay is noticeably different. I have also heard random comments about INSTASPAWN running on RD. I have left this on for a reason, the server isn't always full, when it is, its really pushing the map to the limits, and we know where issues are. I have trialed turning it off and using the maps config spawn time, and it ends up dropping clients.
INSTASPAWN is written in the server hostname title so you are aware it is running. If you don't like playing on the server with it, find another server that's running a standard mode.

PL_CactusCanyon, has gone through some slight changes also. But not enough to warrant the map being part of a rotation, not yet anyway.
You will see the changes to these new maps and mode when your TF2 is updated. click on "view news" when you see your TF2 is downloading or downloaded the update.

You may have also noticed the 2fort server is running a rotation. We have decided to try and mix it up a little, and
add a little difference to 2fort so its not the same old thing over and over. New additions like Payload, CP, KOTH, Xmas, Snow, and Thunderstorms. Even some changes that make it more easier and challenging to attack/defend the intel. The maps don't take that long to download to your computer, and they are quite neat additions to the 2fort collection. It is still 24/7 2fort, just with slight changes to gameplay and condition.

It's stats time, lets see what the numbers are at a month on from the last ones.
General: 600ish new Players (17679)
MVM: 8721 new Players (9731)
Trade: 7838 new Players (10838)
Hale: 3877 Players (4878)

Not bad numbers, even if the school holidays increase things a little.

Last thing, to those that attended the Winter Warmers event, a big thank you for participating in such a small event. I know many of you may of had families to be with over the holidays, but you ended up sacrificing some time to have a bit of a challenging competition as well. Thank you.
Congrats to Nexoit for taking out the number one spot.
I'm looking forward to planning another one later in the year.

Thanks again for coming to GetSome!

Gutty
GetSome TF2 Head Administrator

Posted: July 20, 2014, 08:51:50 pm