Topic: Virtual Reality (Cardboard, Samsung VR)

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
There seam to be these poor man's VR sets coming out, where basically you are just strapping your phone to your face.

i.e Google Cardboard
https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/

Samsung Gear VR
http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/gearvr/index.html

By question is, how well do they actually work? I would think that having a phone that close to your face to cause some serious eye strain. However I noticed the sets have lenses, so maybe that helps?

Anyone tried it yet?

Posted: June 06, 2015, 10:13:35 am

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
I've got a cardboard. It's nice enough for the little mobile games on there (ones where you just watch, not interact).

I did buy an app (http://trinusvr.com/) which allows you to stream PC games to your phone, but can't for the fucking life of me get it calibrated. Might need to look at getting a bigger plastic version of Google Cardboard, as cardboard might be just a bit close. MIGHT. It works fine for games from the app store, it is just pc games that scale weirdly.

Another problem with cardboard is the Sweat Patch. The Oil Patch. The dirty mark/spot. Basically the oils from your forehead, and anyone elses forehead, leave a damp *LOOKING* mark on the cardboard.

Wait - Don't you live in Auc- the Auckland sector of Space
Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 11:43:44 am by `Kayne

Reply #1 Posted: June 06, 2015, 11:32:46 am
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
You should know I live Auckland, I come by your house every night and stare at you though your window while you sleep.

oh wait, of course you wouldn't know about that, nevermind.

Reply #2 Posted: June 06, 2015, 12:57:22 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
If you want (and can handle the idea of the oil patch, maybe glad wrap it. idk) You can borrow mine, if you can be fucked driving to hill road / Botanic gardens

I wouldn't say it's worth the trip, depends how keen you are. It's just a piece of cardboard with lens :P

Reply #3 Posted: June 06, 2015, 01:05:19 pm

I drive that way everyday, I take the hill road exit on my way home from work.

But I don't have an android phone anyway so there would be no point.

If they make a version for Windows phone, then I might try making my own, out of an old shoebox, a rubber band, and duct tape. Just like MacGyver would.

Reply #4 Posted: June 06, 2015, 01:13:12 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
! You must live really close to me. You really ARE watching me from my window.

But no worries bruv, offer is always there if you have access to a android
Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 01:31:16 pm by `Kayne

Reply #5 Posted: June 06, 2015, 01:29:31 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
I'm waiting for oculus rift consumer version before I make a call on Vive vs rift.

Reply #6 Posted: June 07, 2015, 05:32:37 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
Check this out:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/services/other-services/other/auction-659537518.htm

I might give this a crack, I haven't had the chance to actually try modern VR yet.

$90 for a week, so I can can really comfortable with it.

Reply #7 Posted: June 13, 2015, 02:10:58 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K