Topic: PC Build - Recommended Systems Thread - February 2012

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
  • philo-sofa barely matters.philo-sofa barely matters.
Yep. Upgrading AM3 board users may, from time to time find an occasional small batch of imported of X4 960T CPU's (they're made from slightly factory-broken X6's) along with a steady supply of Phenom X6 1090T's. For new budget builds I do highly recommend the Llano A8-3870K CPU (actually generally faster than the FX series too lawl) but for any build with a discrete GPU... Intel is now the only sane choice sadly.
Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:03:09 pm by philo-sofa

Reply #150 Posted: February 07, 2012, 10:00:18 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
  • O-L-W-A-G has no influence.
I'm only pleased by green camps stuff ATM, red camp has far too many shitty drivers.

Reply #151 Posted: February 07, 2012, 10:33:31 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Catalyst 12.1 (which ironically don't support the 7000 series??) is a dramatic improvement, almost up to Nvidia level in terms of functionality TBH.

Reply #152 Posted: February 07, 2012, 10:43:14 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
Bwahahahahaha see how long that lasts.

Reply #153 Posted: February 08, 2012, 10:34:19 pm

angle

If you are thinking of building your own PC (Personal Computer), or need practical information about PC hardware or software, you have come to the right place. With easy to follow step by step guide combined with many images even a beginner can build, configure and setup their own PC.

Reply #154 Posted: February 24, 2012, 07:32:00 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
And i'm back to excite you all with another post that makes one's mind think.

http://pricespy.co.nz/list.php?l=44996&view=m

A
nything wrong with that? Could you guys suggest a good water cooling set up, is it possible to set it up with the two gpus, Should i get something from the 600 series instead? Because of the PCI - E 3.0? Is 2.0 and 3.0 even compatible with each other?

Reply #155 Posted: May 24, 2012, 10:29:30 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline pop

• Addicted
  • pop barely matters.pop barely matters.
think that case would be a tight fit I think, here is what you are probably aiming for:

Dual loop

Reply #156 Posted: May 24, 2012, 11:22:23 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
  • Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
So I'm needing a "Full tower / Server" case?

Reply #157 Posted: May 25, 2012, 10:52:37 pm

Offline pop

• Addicted
  • pop barely matters.pop barely matters.
would make life easier, do you really need 2 graphics cards and a water cooling setup?

Reply #158 Posted: May 26, 2012, 12:03:07 am

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
Playtech had the crucial 64s on sale for 100$ the other day. Do you really need the D2X? I highly doubt you do unless you have the cans or speakers to match.

Reply #159 Posted: May 26, 2012, 12:41:54 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Will update this thread soon!

`Kayne - IMO:

- Drop the 3770K for a 3570K (still not much point having an i7 for gaming)

- Swap the power supply for an FSP Group Aurum 650-750w (don't need more than that and they're very good value)

- Upgrade the GPU to either an HD 7970 (if you're ok with just overclocking it within the drivers) or a GTX 670 (if you refuse to O/C at all) with the savings from the two above

- As OLWAG says, unless you're a true Audiophile you probably don't need a sound card either TBH.
Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:46:29 pm by philo-sofa

Reply #160 Posted: May 26, 2012, 05:44:20 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Sweet as, I don't know much about computers. I'm trying to learn what a good idea is and all but I really don't SEE anything (as in, no visual evidence. Just graphs and peoples words)

I've said this many times, and I'm just wanting you all to know my childish reasoning.

This will be the first computer I've ever bought / built. I've always had the bottom end of computers, Never been able to play the latest games. I can't even play games like zombie panic / css on full detail >_>. So I want my first pc to be over powered, To do every game max detail, raddy ra, raddy ra. I'll probably learn I shouldn't do this when it becomes time to upgrade, But i'd like to learn this for myself, and just be happy with a good computer ;)

As for speakers, I'm going to buy a $900 sony mini speaker system, just for music and shit. I've noticed that songs sound better / worse / quiet (the same songs) on different devices, so I thought if I just spend a tiny bit on a sound card, I'll be happy hah

Water cooling, Was because i've heard "You can over clock the FUCK out of things". Refers to the whole "blowing games out of the water" thing.

Power supply, I just didn't know what to get so I thought i'll just get one that would def cover it . hahaha.

and one question, the 3770k, is that still ivy bridge?... <- Feel like a dick saying that because it shows how much I don't know about pc's. I hear a good name and that's all I care about, Lol

Reply #161 Posted: May 27, 2012, 11:58:44 am

Codex

Quote from: `Kayne;1487360
and one question, the 3770k, is that still ivy bridge?... <- Feel like a dick saying that because it shows how much I don't know about pc's. I hear a good name and that's all I care about, Lol

http://bit.ly/Ksl2yW should answer your question.

Reply #162 Posted: May 27, 2012, 12:54:10 pm

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Sweet as, I don't know much about computers. I'm trying to learn what a good idea is and all but I really don't SEE anything (as in, no visual evidence. Just graphs and peoples words)

I've said this many times, and I'm just wanting you all to know my childish reasoning.

All good man. Tho as above there are a couple of Q's you could hypothetically google ;)

Water cooling, Was because i've heard "You can over clock the FUCK out of things". Refers to the whole "blowing games out of the water" thing.

Buy a decent all on one w/c and yeah you should be able to O/C a 3570.

Power supply, I just didn't know what to get so I thought i'll just get one that would def cover it . hahaha.

It's almost universal to buy overpowered power supplies amongst enthusiasts TBH. A good 650w should cover any 'single card' system'

You mena the 3570K? Yes it surely is. Also bear in mind 'K' processors are the only Intel ones that can overclock.

Reply #163 Posted: May 27, 2012, 01:19:15 pm

Offline O-L-W-A-G

• Addicted
Just adding to what philo said only the chips with a K or X as a suffix can properly overclock by increasing the multiplier due the FSB now controlling the PCI frequency and some other things as well so you'd be lucky to get 110mhz from 100(stock). Just an FYI and ask Xsannz for proper water cooling systems as he has a bit of know how in that area. If you just go down the road of a closed loop system take a peak at the http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=216/ID=16255/SID=803632156/productdetails.html if you just want to fiddle around a bit without cooking eggs. This if you want to push the chip as far the cooler allows you to http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=15255

You can still go for a sound card if you want but it's only really worth it if you want to invest in some decent cans (~200$) and a decent sound card (~100$) and if you do decide on that send a PM CK's way.
Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:43:28 pm by O-L-W-A-G

Reply #164 Posted: May 27, 2012, 09:37:36 pm

Offline Kayne

• Addicted
Quote from: Codex;1487369
http://bit.ly/Ksl2yW should answer your question.

Yeah sorry :P, I just instant reply as if it was a conversation :F

Reply #165 Posted: May 27, 2012, 11:40:29 pm

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
  • 3viction has no influence.
Any chance this thread could have an update? Looking at buying a pc or two soon. Know it takes quite a bit of time but I find this thread really helpful!
Thanks in advance :D

Reply #166 Posted: July 08, 2012, 03:10:46 pm
snprkd

Offline philo-sofa

• Addicted
Yeah k, will update this by midweek?

Reply #167 Posted: July 08, 2012, 03:18:02 pm

Offline CSfaith

• Devoted Member
  • CSfaith has no influence.
Far Philo, do it now. Stop being so slack, lololol :P

Reply #168 Posted: July 08, 2012, 04:43:22 pm

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
  • 3viction has no influence.
Quote from: philo-sofa;1493186
Yeah k, will update this by midweek?
Awesome thanks heaps Philo!

Reply #169 Posted: July 09, 2012, 07:01:05 pm
snprkd

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Yeah, an update would be great. I always use this thread.

Trying to figure out graphics cards is too hard for my brain to handle on its own.

Reply #170 Posted: August 29, 2012, 08:27:50 am

Codex

660ti or greater

Reply #171 Posted: August 29, 2012, 08:34:24 am

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
I heard Philo died. Will he be updating this thread?

Reply #172 Posted: August 29, 2012, 02:32:21 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
  • Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;1500610
Yeah, an update would be great. I always use this thread.

Trying to figure out graphics cards is too hard for my brain to handle on its own.

670Gtx do it

Reply #173 Posted: August 29, 2012, 03:48:28 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: Mayhem_Lee;1500680
670Gtx do it

This

Reply #174 Posted: August 29, 2012, 03:59:52 pm