Topic: USB switch - anyone use one?

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
I have set up my work laptop at home with a docking station, I have an HDMI switch leading to my monitor so I can dual up the laptop. Next thing I want to do is cut down on the two keyboards and two mice(s?) and use a USB switch.

Does anyone have one? Any suggestions? What I want to do, is use my home keyboard and mouse, so I plug in my laptop into its docking station, hit the switch on the hdmi cable and hit the switch on my usb and I can sit down and go.

I'm not sure how it'll work with USB though, whether it causes delays while the USB unit processes the newly plugged in or be instant like the hdmi switch is.

Posted: January 28, 2014, 02:42:01 pm

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!

Reply #1 Posted: January 28, 2014, 02:56:33 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
yeap, but with the price the one you suggested, I'm wondering if I should see whether or not a cheaper one (say less than $50) will have any impact on my gaming....... particuarly with keyboard and mouse. I have my HDMI switch running and I'm wondering how much that is downgrading my video input to the monitor...

Reply #2 Posted: January 28, 2014, 03:04:51 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted
An update for anyone who cares. I now have an awesome set up at home. I have my main/home PC running through my monitor. I have my pc HDMI running into an HDMI switch and then into the monitor.

I have my laptop docking station with an HDMI cable running to the same HDMI switch. To make it even better, I bought this, now I have my keyboard and mouse running into the USB switch.

So if I want to switch between my work laptop and home computer, it's the case of quickly pressing the button on the HDMI switch and USB switch and it jumps over.

As i have a Logitech G510, I can see instantly what setting is active as the profiles are different, keys = green when home pc, and white when hooked up to work laptop.

As I already had the HDMI switch for the PS3/PC, I kept it, I could have bought an HDMI/USB switch, but didn't both. Pressing two buttons isn't that much extra work. Prior to this, I was juggling two mice, two keyboards (+ the laptop keyboard too I guess). Now, all is tidy.

Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:23:23 am by benlav

Reply #3 Posted: January 31, 2014, 11:19:14 am