Topic: Help - telecom's huawai VDSL modem IP/DCHP issues

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
I recently installed the new Huawai telecom generic modem, but am having all sorts of issues with IP being assigned within the network. The default IP configuration for the new modem is 192.168.1.254. When it came out, the IP range was 192.168.1.40 and upwards (why it started from .40 I don't know?).

Previously, my modem was 192.168.0.1 and IPs started from .2. So, rather than set up a new network, I kept the same SSID and everything seemed to work. But there started to be some issues with the assumed IP addresses from the devices, all of a sudden they were operating off the 192.168.0.1 configuration. So I manually changed the IP to add the "1" in instead of the "0" and it worked. So I got sick of doing that, so I created a new SSID (rather than the old one), the devices STILL try and work off the 192.168.0.1 configuration. Now as far as the computer/apple tv/iphone/samsung galaxys are concerned, it should be a new network, yet all of them keep shitting out and unable to get internet access due to the IP issues. Which leads me to believe it must be a wifi router issue. In fact, come to think of it, I had the same problem over cat5.

wtf - anyone heard of this??

I am considering changing the network on the moment to utilise the 192.168.0.1 configuration instead. It just seems a little odd that I should have to do this.

Posted: February 04, 2014, 03:26:37 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Have you released the DHCP leases on the devices?

Reply #1 Posted: February 04, 2014, 03:46:54 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
Have you released the DHCP leases on the devices?

yeap, also tried forgetting the network etc. I have given up and simply decided to change the configuration of the home network to be 192.168.0.1 onwards, seems to have worked without a problem. But the issue is that when I created a new SSID, as far as the devices are concerned, they could be in a new house or location going into someone else's network. So there is no logical reason for them to attempt to not confirm to the IP structure.

It should be fine going forward, but a real mystery.

Reply #2 Posted: February 04, 2014, 04:00:53 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I recently installed the new Huawai telecom generic modem, but am having all sorts of issues with IP being assigned within the network. The default IP configuration for the new modem is 192.168.1.254. When it came out, the IP range was 192.168.1.40 and upwards (why it started from .40 I don't know?).

Previously, my modem was 192.168.0.1 and IPs started from .2. So, rather than set up a new network, I kept the same SSID and everything seemed to work. But there started to be some issues with the assumed IP addresses from the devices, all of a sudden they were operating off the 192.168.0.1 configuration. So I manually changed the IP to add the "1" in instead of the "0" and it worked. So I got sick of doing that, so I created a new SSID (rather than the old one), the devices STILL try and work off the 192.168.0.1 configuration. Now as far as the computer/apple tv/iphone/samsung galaxys are concerned, it should be a new network, yet all of them keep shitting out and unable to get internet access due to the IP issues. Which leads me to believe it must be a wifi router issue. In fact, come to think of it, I had the same problem over cat5.

I am considering changing the network on the moment to utilise the 192.168.0.1 configuration instead. It just seems a little odd that I should have to do this.

the reason for starting at .40 instead of .2 is so you have a range that you can have statically assigned IP devices (like IP phones, Printers etc.)

Anyways- if they are anything like the Thomson ones, you will probably have to do this via CLI, (see if there is a CLI guide) the problem is that the DHCP service won't be configured to hand out IPs in the 192.168.0.0/24 range - its still handing out addresses in the default 192.168.1.0/24 range, whereas the device will be configured on 192.168.0.1.

Could probably figure it out - if you send me the model number of the Huawai modem, will have a nose

Reply #3 Posted: February 04, 2014, 04:22:04 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted

the reason for starting at .40 instead of .2 is so you have a range that you can have statically assigned IP devices (like IP phones, Printers etc.)

Anyways- if they are anything like the Thomson ones, you will probably have to do this via CLI, (see if there is a CLI guide) the problem is that the DHCP service won't be configured to hand out IPs in the 192.168.0.0/24 range - its still handing out addresses in the default 192.168.1.0/24 range, whereas the device will be configured on 192.168.0.1.

Could probably figure it out - if you send me the model number of the Huawai modem, will have a nose

Cheers dude, I have gone with the easy decision which was to change the base IP and ignore why the other issue was appearing. Path of least resistance I guess. Sooner or later my curiosity will get the best of me, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Reply #4 Posted: February 04, 2014, 04:35:35 pm

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Sounds awfully like two DHCP servers on the same network giving out different address ranges. If your previous modem/router is still plugged into the network you will need to turn off the DHCP server on it.

Reply #5 Posted: February 04, 2014, 05:50:50 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Sounds awfully like two DHCP servers on the same network giving out different address ranges. If your previous modem/router is still plugged into the network you will need to turn off the DHCP server on it.

This

Reply #6 Posted: February 04, 2014, 05:59:57 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted

It's unplugged sitting unused on the desk.

wait - no, I lied. Yes, this could be it... I have a router on the other side of my power line utility device. While I can't see why it would be trying to assign IP addresses, it is highly likely this is the cause. I have logged in and turned this off, might be too late to worry about it now, but it makes sense.

essentially my network goes like so
Huawai modem/wifi router

Wifi
apple tv
tivo
everyone else's shit

then:
power line utility plugged into Huawai router
power line utility in my office, plugged into another router
all my shit plugged into the router, no wifi enabled.

So now i've flicked off the dhcp it should be fine.

Good catch.
Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:30:21 pm by benlav

Reply #7 Posted: February 04, 2014, 06:14:09 pm

Offline RightHandOnly

• Just settled in
  • RightHandOnly has no influence.
ben...thats messy mate..

Reply #8 Posted: February 04, 2014, 07:26:06 pm
With Age comes Wisdom and Skill.......I have all 3.

I\'m so Leet , I d

Offline benlav

• Addicted
How else would you do it? I could get a 4 port power line adapter,  but that's additional cost.

It's quite neat in think. Upstairs, wifi, downstairs 4 port router with 3 ethernet devices.

Reply #9 Posted: February 04, 2014, 07:39:22 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
How else would you do it? I could get a 4 port power line adapter,  but that's additional cost.

It's quite neat in think. Upstairs, wifi, downstairs 4 port router with 3 ethernet devices.

Downstairs shouldn't be a router, it should be a switch.

See attached MS paint visio diagram :-)

Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:15:27 pm by Lias

Reply #10 Posted: February 04, 2014, 10:07:05 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted
yeah, i see, but I have a working router and no switch. Don't really wanna fork out for a switch no matter how cheap...

Reply #11 Posted: February 05, 2014, 12:06:11 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
A new 5port 100mb one is about $15-$20, or gigabit for $25-30.

If that's still too much I have an oldish  5 port 100mb you can have for the cost of postage.

Reply #12 Posted: February 05, 2014, 07:56:10 am

Offline benlav

• Addicted
does it make much of a difference though? Is it possible just to switch off all the features on the router? I'm getting good download speeds (32Mbps down and 9-10Mbps up with VDSL).

There is a little bit of not wanting to spend any money on it, but also just having stuff lying around. Now I've sorted the DHCP and turned off most features on the modem/router, it seems to be working fine.

edit - ok, I have just seen the benefits of a switch. I'll sell the router which still retails for about $300 and swap it out... that'll shut me up.
Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:50:40 am by benlav

Reply #13 Posted: February 05, 2014, 10:45:26 am

Codex

Yeah dumb switch for downstairs, tp-link do an epic gig switch 8 ports for sweet f all cost wise, have one and it goes very well

Reply #14 Posted: February 05, 2014, 10:54:00 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
does it make much of a difference though? Is it possible just to switch off all the features on the router? I'm getting good download speeds (32Mbps down and 9-10Mbps up with VDSL).

There is a little bit of not wanting to spend any money on it, but also just having stuff lying around. Now I've sorted the DHCP and turned off most features on the modem/router, it seems to be working fine.

edit - ok, I have just seen the benefits of a switch. I'll sell the router which still retails for about $300 and swap it out... that'll shut me up.

What model router?

Reply #15 Posted: February 05, 2014, 11:52:05 am

Offline RightHandOnly

• Just settled in
  • RightHandOnly has no influence.
ok..

The Switch downstairs where the most PC"s are I assume do most traffic...A switch will keep all traffic downstairs that does not need to go to other devices or the web....so less traffic on your link between upstairs and downstairs....presently if I understand correctly all traffic is traversing the link so intra pc comms must go upstairs and back down....not good practise .

Just my thoughts.
We can talk later if you want and I can help when next on mumble.

Reply #16 Posted: February 05, 2014, 12:08:29 pm
With Age comes Wisdom and Skill.......I have all 3.

I\'m so Leet , I d

Offline Plasma

• Addicted
  • Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.Plasma is working their way up.
Guessing its just a basic adsl router or off the shelf deal. Disable DHCP and don't use the WAN port. Traffic shouldn't traverse the link unless its broadcast traffic or it has to thanks to the MAC address table, should just operate as a switch.

Reply #17 Posted: February 05, 2014, 05:58:54 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted

What model router?

Netgear dgnd3700.

Will throw it on tradme for $100

Reply #18 Posted: February 09, 2014, 02:43:06 pm