Topic: Mod Applications - Opinion and Tips

Offline NeonSparkles

• I Posted!
  • NeonSparkles has no influence.
In my time having belonged to various gaming communities I have been a bit of a lurker on a lot of forums. I never post very much, but I am always here to read and observe what's going on. Anyway, I am here to give a bit of an insight on some of my current thoughts.

Just a disclaimer, none of my thoughts are directed towards anyone in particular.
In forums I have read over the years, there is always a flood of moderator and staff applications. Of course, I take the time to read a lot of applications and I am beginning to come to a conclusion, it's obvious that a lot of people apply on a whim.

First off, here is something directed towards under-aged people. A staff member holds a position of authority, which is a reason for a bar on players under a certain age becoming mod. Especially on this server, a job for a moderator or admin is to keep the majority of players under control, and so it happens this vast majority happens to be children. So ending my first thought, it is very appropriate for players only over the age of 16 to apply for staff and anyone who is under that age I'm sure is wasting their time.

Also, this subject of maturity brings me into my next topic, reputation of said person on the server. I have seen some people, (not just on here) apply for a moderator position with a well worded, thought out application. However these people sometimes have not spent more than 10 hours on this server; know no one, and therefore seem not committed at all. As well as sometimes not being experienced on the server enough, occasionally an applicant will have a past of RDM's and slays on a server, which is basically a red flag to existing staff and will definitely not get you further in the future, except maybe a ban.

I can't think what else to put right now but basically to sum all this up, I think if you want to be a mod you must have to have put a lot of obvious thought and enough commitment, rather than just applying for shits and gigs which is what a lot of people do these days, hoping they'd get a bit of recognition and a couple of commands.

Once again this is definitely not directed towards anyone and I hope I haven't offended you if you have read this. My opinions on this subject are collective but they definitely apply here and might help applicants, thanks for reading.

Soz for my rant thingy it's 1am oops

Posted: July 28, 2014, 01:24:17 am

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
  • Oddball has no influence.
Hey, I tried to read it but got bored because your thoughts aren't interesting. I'll save your thread by adding some of my own.

Ah... actually, I can't be bothered. But this much should help so you can have it.

Reply #1 Posted: July 28, 2014, 01:26:27 am
A testament to my ICONZ Legacy: http://i.imgur.com/z1qGsZ3.png
Retired warden of the getsome concentration camp for stupid people.

Offline YouLikeFishSticks

• Just settled in
  • YouLikeFishSticks has no influence.
There may be some tips on this that are handy, yes having many hours on both GMod and Get Some is a good sign of devotion, and age is a good thing, I figured that out the hard way (gonna be waiting to try again for a long time), but in the end it comes to age, devotion and trustworthiness in my sense. Peace out, my thoughts have been said, now time to smash that maths work that has blank answer slots.

Reply #2 Posted: July 28, 2014, 01:47:59 am
And no I'm not Aquaman, I am a recovering gay fish.

Offline Kayne

• Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!Kayne is awe-inspiring!
Jesus Christ Neon, Why haven't you applied yet, with that spectacular use of the English language :)

You are right though. A problem we have when choosing players is we have to decide, are they doing this for power, or do they genuinely want to better the community.

I realise people will think that saying "I genuinely want to help the server" may seem like a lie, or possibly utter-bullshit that people spew forth in their moderator apps, but it is a legitimate feeling that some users get. It stems from wanting to play on the GetSome Servers, and Wanting the GetSome servers to be fun for everyone.

I'd also like to say that the reason some of you have made an application yet haven't been accepted yet, or where others have made an application earlier than you have, and been accepted before you have, I'd just like to remind you of a few things.

* We don't forget things that you do. The Things that you say. The way you joke around. The Way you act. It all gives us an idea of your maturity "level", and with that we're able to guess at how good bad a job you're going to do when shit hits the fan. And It does, occasionally.

* We don't care too much for play time, Once you pass a certain point, (please don't ask what that point is.), We no longer care about your hours. Please stop messaging me saying you've gotten X amount of hours, "Is that enough?"

* We haven't forgotten who's made an application. You do not need to *bump* it, re submit it, print it out and mail it to me, Quantum, NeonSparkles or drop a signed version in your weekly church donation box. We're watching, and that's all you need to know.

* If it has been 2 minutes since posting your application, and no one has replied to it, please message either Dark Virus, or Craigorsaurus asking why there is a delay. They will give you as much help as humanly possible.

* Because I'm sure none of you realise, If you quit the server because you haven't been made a mod, Please understand, we just don't want someone like "you" as a moderator :)

Reply #3 Posted: July 28, 2014, 05:59:43 pm
Top Geary - 27th May 2016 at 12:10 AM
I've learnt to ignore when you say derogatory things to me

Offline YouLikeFishSticks

• Just settled in
  • YouLikeFishSticks has no influence.
Kayne, such goodness and truth, it's like you're godly at this stuff.

Reply #4 Posted: July 28, 2014, 10:18:01 pm
And no I'm not Aquaman, I am a recovering gay fish.

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Jesus Christ Neon, Why haven't you applied yet, with that spectacular use of the English language :)
However these people sometimes have not spent more than 10 hours on this server; know no one, and therefore seem not committed at all.
That is one of the very few times I have seen a semi colon used correctly outside of the programming world

Reply #5 Posted: July 28, 2014, 10:26:02 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
However these people sometimes have not spent more than 10 hours on this server; know no one, and therefore seem not committed at all.
That is one of the very few times I have seen a semi colon used correctly outside of the programming world

That's great and all except you're wrong.

So very
WRONG

A semicolon is used to connect two independent clauses, the two clauses presented are not independent. In this situation rather than a semicolon, he should have simply used the words 'and they'. Or, at the very least, without an overhaul it's the closest we can get to being correct from a grammatical perspective.

To be perfectly honest, even from a syntax perspective and completely ignoring the proper use of a semicolon it doesn't read correctly in any way whatsoever.

Who are you, and what have you done with Tiwaking?

Reply #6 Posted: July 29, 2014, 02:24:10 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!

Who are you, and what have you done with Tiwaking?

Tiwa has been brainwashed by the game a day programming challenge, it has rotted his intellect.

Reply #7 Posted: July 29, 2014, 02:26:03 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
The Semicolon is my favourite punctuation mark; I much prefer it over a boring colon. 

Reply #8 Posted: July 29, 2014, 03:24:48 pm

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
The Semicolon is my favourite punctuation mark; I much prefer it over a boring colon.

Today is a beautiful day; a being who could write a high school English essay has graced this maggot infested forum.

Wait.

Why did you capitalize the 's' in 'semicolon'?

Reply #9 Posted: July 29, 2014, 03:48:33 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!

So very
WRONG
They used a semicolon to replace the normal use of a conjunctive adverb with a word that is either an object defined verb; a non-object defined verb; or a noun.

I see no problem be.

"‘Arguments are to be avoided: they are always vulgar and often convincing." -  Oscar Wilde
Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:17:24 pm by Tiwaking!

Reply #10 Posted: July 29, 2014, 03:58:19 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Quantum

• Quantum has no influence.
So very
WRONG

Just like you are with getting the OP confused with a he.

Reply #11 Posted: July 29, 2014, 04:16:00 pm

Offline NeonSparkles

• I Posted!
So very
WRONG

Just like you are with getting the OP confused with a he.

um, does this really matter at all? .-.

Reply #12 Posted: July 29, 2014, 04:41:00 pm

Offline Quantum

• Quantum has no influence.

I just thought you wouldn't want to a be a shemale.

Reply #13 Posted: July 29, 2014, 04:43:38 pm

Offline NeonSparkles

• I Posted!

I just thought you wouldn't want to a be a shemale.

Alright alright thank you

Reply #14 Posted: July 29, 2014, 04:47:03 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Why did you capitalize the 's' in 'semicolon'?

Personification.

Reply #15 Posted: July 29, 2014, 04:49:09 pm

Offline NeonSparkles

• I Posted!
This isn't an English language debate
;_; pls

Reply #16 Posted: July 29, 2014, 04:51:27 pm

Offline Oddball

• Devoted Member
This isn't an English language debate
;_; pls

What this isn't:

A thread on opinions and tips for mod applications

What this is:

An English language debate

And with this I hereby educate you on the nature of gaming forums: Threads are not what they are intended to be, or portrayed as, but rather whatever they devolve into. Like a backwards retarded version of pokemon.

Except without the pokemon.
Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:15:03 pm by Oddball

Reply #17 Posted: July 29, 2014, 05:07:26 pm