Topic: good ol work phone

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
Hey lads

So my boss told me today to stop sending pxt messages.  Because the bill is excessively high. (In the hundreds).
Im not under any kind of warning or anything but I dont want to be paying for some issue I have no control over. ..

What I don't quite understand is that I dont send images via text. Its all done by email.
Everything I do is work related and not dodgy.

The only thing I can figure out what could be causing this is its using 3g instead of hsdpa or whatever that gap between 3g and 4g is.
I know I may be wrong.  So I wondered if anyone can help me out and save my bacon.

Thanks!!

Posted: September 23, 2014, 11:12:22 pm

Offline Mayhem_Lee

• Addicted
  • Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.Mayhem_Lee is working their way up.
Email with photos via phone using mobile data = $$$$$. Do you have a data package with work phone or nah? they can charge a rather large amount per mb if gone over a cap or have no data plan.

p.s i have 2gb per month data & extra 1gb past cap = $300 for me :/ lets not talk about international roaming charges for work......

Reply #1 Posted: September 24, 2014, 02:15:45 pm

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Hey lads

So my boss told me today to stop sending pxt messages.  Because the bill is excessively high. (In the hundreds).
Im not under any kind of warning or anything but I dont want to be paying for some issue I have no control over. ..

What I don't quite understand is that I dont send images via text. Its all done by email.
Everything I do is work related and not dodgy.

The only thing I can figure out what could be causing this is its using 3g instead of hsdpa or whatever that gap between 3g and 4g is.
I know I may be wrong.  So I wondered if anyone can help me out and save my bacon.

Thanks!!

If you only send pictures via email, it should be showing as data usage, not PXT usage.

PXT is pretty much just Vodafone's name for MMS, which is mime encoded data transfer over SMS.

If its indeed PXT messages and you dont believe your sending them, perhaps your phone has a virus or something. Factory Reset it? Contact your telco to see where the messages are going (Vodafone?)

Might be worth posting over at Geekzone, various telco staff post there including some pretty knowledgeable Vodafone staff (JohnR in particular)

Reply #2 Posted: September 24, 2014, 02:41:14 pm

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

• 420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!
whos the provider? if telecom/spark i can kinda help. Im going to guess you guys are on a low data mobile package or on a team builder plan (has no data bolton)

Ask to see what the plan makeup is, then ask your mobile account manager why they didnt upgrade your data plan when they saw data blow outs.

What plan are you on? change settings so that when you are in the office it uses wifi

Reply #3 Posted: September 24, 2014, 04:20:17 pm

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
  • Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!Gutty is leading the good life!
Yeah its telecom. I'm on the $49 plan that has 1.25gb data plan.
The whole company is setup on some real out there deal.
Apparently I'm the one that uses the most data and always has a high account.  Lol.

I've asked for some more info. The trouble is our so called tech expert inside the company isn't as experienced as people think.
When I ask questions she goes blank and has no idea. Lol.

The issue is not the data cap or data use. Its the pxt charges. From what I've been told they're heaps of 7 cent charges.
Again I've asked for more information on this from our 'expert'

I tried to call telecom today to see if they had any idea. I just wanted to hear it from someone that may have an idea.

Do you guys think fb messenger could be associated to this??

Oh fairy.  I'm never in the office. That's based on nelson. I'm in otago  and southland.
Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:24:43 pm by Gutty

Reply #4 Posted: September 24, 2014, 05:22:35 pm

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

• 420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!420fairy is awe-inspiring!
Yes it most certainly does

Reply #5 Posted: September 24, 2014, 05:24:09 pm

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
Thats response to fb messenger?

Reply #6 Posted: September 24, 2014, 05:25:54 pm

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

yep. you really should change settings on your phone so when you walk into work it doesnt use mobile data. Ask your account manager for an analysis of your usage, can send to me I will look at it.
is it Smart $49 or Ultra $49

If its smart $49 they technically should have rolled you over to Ultra when the smartphone plans were grandfathered.  How long do you have left on your contract?
Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:30:37 am by th3fairy

Reply #7 Posted: September 26, 2014, 10:13:42 am

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
Ultra as far as I know.

Im still waiting for info from the office and havent heard
So im sitting in limbo for a bit

As for the contract. I wouldn't have a clue. Im guessing about a year

Reply #8 Posted: September 27, 2014, 08:07:32 am

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

Ultra as far as I know.

Im still waiting for info from the office and havent heard
So im sitting in limbo for a bit

As for the contract. I wouldn't have a clue. Im guessing about a year

What you want to do is complain about your telco acc manager, just say you keep being told you are going over your limit and your allowance is not being upgraded to meet your needs. I used to say that to the Team Leaders at Gen I and get months worth of credits for my customers. The purpose of an account manager especially if your work is utilising cost manager is to ensure that youre not blowing out, and if you are to upgrade what services are being overused. Or at least add a bolt on package to your current package.  The account manager can easily get the early upgrade fee waived.

Find out the name of this muppet let me know; i still have contacts at Gen I - higher level than your regular AM.

A guaranteed way to get some money back is by asking if data usage alerts have been set up. They are supposed to have them for every person with data, but their systems dont auto add this function, its manually set up. Inside knowledge, use it.

Reply #9 Posted: September 27, 2014, 11:52:19 am

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
I get data usage alerts, when it hits 80% and 100% etc

all that works fine.
it was the mms/pxt usage that has shown up on the account. i need to get this in visual form so i know what im dealing with

Reply #10 Posted: September 27, 2014, 12:27:54 pm

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

I get data usage alerts, when it hits 80% and 100% etc

all that works fine.
it was the mms/pxt usage that has shown up on the account. i need to get this in visual form so i know what im dealing with

you need to ring the gen i managed customer care line - ask to speak to a tier 2 person 0800 694 364.  It could be an app thats causing the charges - remember alot of apps that are installed on your phone do have the ability to edit/create and send mms etc once you allow it permission to be installed.

Or you can pm me your mobile number, I will ring the backend at Spark and talk to some peoples i  know

Reply #11 Posted: September 30, 2014, 08:48:47 am

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
Thanks fairy. Ive deleted a lot of apps that I installed this year. The first to go was fb messenger which could of been it.

Im going to leave it a month then reasses the issue. Will see if my headoffice get back on my case if its happened again.

Reply #12 Posted: September 30, 2014, 10:10:11 am

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

sweet dude if it doesnt get sorted or they wont give you the right info holler at me :)

Reply #13 Posted: September 30, 2014, 11:31:13 am

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

How did you with getting information?

Reply #14 Posted: October 09, 2014, 02:43:49 pm

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
Still nothing man. So over the piss poor management of the company im working for.
Going to wait and see if they jump up and down over the next bill.

Reply #15 Posted: October 09, 2014, 05:51:24 pm

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

ok if they do jump up and down pm me your cell and i will get my buddies at the backend to analyse and give you an answer

Reply #16 Posted: October 09, 2014, 06:12:49 pm

Offline Gutty

• Administrator
Thanks man

Reply #17 Posted: October 09, 2014, 06:32:17 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
Thanks man

psst, fairy isn't a bloke...

Reply #18 Posted: October 10, 2014, 02:26:46 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Thanks man

psst, fairy isn't a bloke...

Well she could be a lady boy, she hasn't streaked a lan yet to prove otherwise :-P

Reply #19 Posted: October 10, 2014, 07:46:57 am

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

shhhhhh benlav its been a while since I was "treated" as man. hahaha

and Lias how do you know I havent streaked a LAN? Maybe not one youve been to!

Reply #20 Posted: October 10, 2014, 09:15:55 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator
and Lias how do you know I havent streaked a LAN? Maybe not one youve been to!

You talk the talk but do you walk the walk? :-P

Reply #21 Posted: October 10, 2014, 09:53:50 am

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

Come join me on twitter then haha

PS Sorry Gutty but threads derail when Lias gets all gaga

Reply #22 Posted: October 10, 2014, 10:24:09 am

Offline Lias

• Administrator

pffft it's GetSome.. threads detail.. fullstop lol

Reply #23 Posted: October 10, 2014, 10:37:16 am

Offline 420fairy

• Mother Of Dragons

pffft it's GetSome.. threads detail.. fullstop lol

so true

I was in the bf2 archives last night loling at old good times and did notice how fast shit derailed around here, miss those days!

Reply #24 Posted: October 10, 2014, 11:33:48 am