Topic: help me spend some money. a little... as i will be in the US pc parts are cheap

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
I am currently overseas and I'll have a rental car for a day while I drive from vegas to LAX. I won't have a lot of time, the drive is 4-5 hrs and I have 7 hrs to get from air port to airport. So i figured I'd go via a local pc parts mega mall or something and pick up some cheap components. which, from what I have seen, the savings is significant. I don't want to spend much, but I'm struggling to find anything worthwhile to spend money on.

here is my rig, I am actually pretty happy with it, but feel there is an opportunity to tweak it up a bit... i don't want to risk gst so will keep it below the $400nzd threshold

i5 3570k cpu
asus p8z77 mobo
280x gpu
2x 4gb kingston value ram ddr3 1333mhz
120gb ssd plus stacks of hdds
logitech g510 keyboard
shitty mouse - so will get a gaming mouse

at first, i thought the ram was a dead ringer to upgrade. but funnily enough, i've done some research and the cheap shit I bought is actually not bad at all. i thought of upping to 1600mhz or adding another 2 x 4 gb sticks, but i doubt i will see any tangible benefits (correct me if i am wrong).

another ssd is an obvious choice, so might look at another samsung 840 pro, but i like having a smaller ssd as it means i run lean on shit on the pc... plus i have the hdds to hoard on.

a monitor might be a bit bulky, but that is also a thought. any ideas on something i am missing?

Posted: September 26, 2014, 01:50:25 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
ITT: I don't need to upgrade, I just want to tell everyone I'm going on holiday.

Reply #1 Posted: September 26, 2014, 03:12:56 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
ITT: I don't need to upgrade, I just want to tell everyone I'm going on holiday.

haha, i can see how that could have come across. My wife is from Mexico, we do the Auckland to Mexico leg every two years. I have done it enough now, that coming to her place in Mexico is just as exciting as flying home to christchurch... except it takes waaaaay longer. The novelty factor is long long long gone.

And to top it all off, it's hot, sticky, urban. I can't really go out for risk of kidnapping.

Reply #2 Posted: September 27, 2014, 02:39:07 am