Topic: New Internet setup

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
  • AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.
Hey guys I just bought my first house and I'm needing to get set up with internet. Starting from scratch, got no router or anything yet. Checked and there is no fibre anywhere near my house so will be looking for a regular internet connection. I'm mostly going to be gaming and streaming tv as I've just bought myself a smart TV, so would probably need a high data cap or unlimited.

Who in chch is proving good speeds and I'm not going to be paying through the nose for it, as I'm pretty poor at the moment.

Advice is appreciated, just got possession the other day and kinda overlooked this until now.

Posted: October 08, 2014, 06:06:56 pm
Wallpaper thread (It was good when it was updated)

Offline Xenolightning

• Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
Congrats on the house!

Do you need a land-line with it? Please say no :P

www.snap.co.nz is the best, great customer service, great line speeds, pretty much the whole package.

VDSL is the next best thing to Fibre.

The unlimited Snap VDSL plans start at $109.

Their routers are expensive. What do you need in this space? Wifi?

Reply #1 Posted: October 08, 2014, 07:12:07 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
  • AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.AvatarFACE is working their way up.
I'd like to have the reliability of a physical cable to my computer but the rest of the place can be wi-fi. Had not considered no land-line but it should not be a problem.

Reply #2 Posted: October 08, 2014, 07:25:37 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Chuck me a PM with your address dude, can chuck some Snappy discounts your way

(work for snap...)

Reply #3 Posted: October 08, 2014, 08:03:14 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
Cheers Speakman! have sent you a message with my address.

Reply #4 Posted: October 08, 2014, 09:24:49 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
Also check out powerline adapters as they can use the internal wiring throughout your house to share the internet as opposed to wifi. Really good for tv setups, if you have multiple internet connected devices next to the tv, say the bluray player, apple tv etc, all you would need is a cheap switch.

Also - when you are moving into a new house, I recommend taking up the line maintenance insurance at least while you settle in. Any wiring issues nearby will be covered. not sure if you need a landline to take that up though.

Reply #5 Posted: October 09, 2014, 07:23:50 am

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
Thanks for the advice benlav I'll look into that once i get set up. What does line maintenance insurance cover?

Reply #6 Posted: October 09, 2014, 10:27:57 am

Offline AvatarFACE

• Devoted Member
Hey Speakman, I sent you my contact details the other day via PM, can you get back to me?

Reply #7 Posted: October 15, 2014, 02:38:54 pm

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
Sorry mate, completely slipped my mind, its been a hell of a week. PM Sent

Reply #8 Posted: October 17, 2014, 06:27:44 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
Thanks for the advice benlav I'll look into that once i get set up. What does line maintenance insurance cover?

hey man,sorry, missed this. I don't know all the detail behind it, but I pay the maintenance via telecom. We had a jack point which never worked, which meant we had no phone in the main part of the house. after like 2 years, i got sick of it as i wanted to bring the modem downstairs. I called telecom to ask them what I need to do, the lady said that as we have the line maintenance, she'll send out a technician who fixed it for free. So I think, if you don't have the cover, they provide services to your property, if you have it, they will provide services within the house. something like that. ask them, but it's good to have as you won't know the wiring very well.

Reply #9 Posted: October 17, 2014, 07:24:25 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted

Reply #10 Posted: October 17, 2014, 07:25:18 pm