Topic: Model Planes

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
  • 3viction has no influence.
Over the past year or two I've taken a real interest in aeroplanes and being reasonably close to the airport has given me the opportunity to watch them take off and land. I've found Flightradar a really cool app as well as you get to see their speed, altitude etc.
Anyway, I've recently discovered model aeroplanes and have decided to start a collection. I currently have an Air NZ 787-9 and ordered the Air NZ 777 zk-oko smaug plane, these are both 1/400.
Anyone else have any sort of collections? What brands/sizes have you found the best?

Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:23:55 pm by 3viction

Posted: January 29, 2014, 12:05:56 pm
snprkd

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
What brands/sizes have you found the best?

Durex

Reply #1 Posted: January 29, 2014, 02:13:16 pm

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
That smaug plane looks awesome.

Reply #2 Posted: January 29, 2014, 02:13:34 pm

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Holy shit yes. My mate and I have turned in to real planespotters. We will take the time to rock out to the airport at any time of day and just take photos or sit and talk shit and watch planes. We even look up the registration codes of the private planes to see if we can find anything out about them.

Seeing the different planes, engine noises, and the general shapes, sizes and differences is great, and we're pretty lucky in Auckland having such a diverse range of incoming and outgoing flights.

Reply #3 Posted: January 29, 2014, 02:27:30 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Craigor

• Administrator
  • Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!Craigor is awe-inspiring!
I could spend hours there

Reply #4 Posted: January 29, 2014, 02:29:16 pm
<a href="steam://friends/add/76561197966242864/">Add me to Steam</a> <- Fixed! lol

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
Holy shit yes. My mate and I have turned in to real planespotters. We will take the time to rock out to the airport at any time of day and just take photos or sit and talk shit and watch planes. We even look up the registration codes of the private planes to see if we can find anything out about them.

Seeing the different planes, engine noises, and the general shapes, sizes and differences is great, and we're pretty lucky in Auckland having such a diverse range of incoming and outgoing flights.

Yeah down here in CHCH we don't get as many (large planes we only have one 777-200 and one 777-300 a day) so it was cool  when the a380s got diverted here last year - posted some pics in the cool photos you've taken thread just before. When I was up in Auckland was awesome sitting there watching the different planes taking off and landing.

Reply #5 Posted: January 29, 2014, 02:48:45 pm
snprkd

It's cool when driving along the road in Auckland, and you see the shadow of a plane coming down the road towards you.

WATCH OUT FOR THE SHADOW PLANE! *Drives off road*.

Reply #6 Posted: January 29, 2014, 04:40:52 pm

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
We have had a few C130's here lately, prob std for yo'all big city folk but pretty cool to see down here. The sounds cool.

Reply #7 Posted: January 29, 2014, 07:38:13 pm

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
We have had a few C130's here lately, prob std for yo'all big city folk but pretty cool to see down here. The sounds cool.

Where abouts are you? Always get them in Chch before they go to Antarctica. The C17 is cool to see!

Reply #8 Posted: January 31, 2014, 11:51:01 am
snprkd

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.

Where abouts are you? Always get them in Chch before they go to Antarctica. The C17 is cool to see!

Invergiggle.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/business/9485567/City-airport-to-become-military-hub

Reply #9 Posted: January 31, 2014, 04:42:48 pm

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
China Southern 787 charter flight to Christchurch today. I couldn't see it on flightradar and think it's been delayed so may head down to try get a photo.
http://www.christchurchairport.co.nz/en/about-us/media-centre/media-releases/2013/china-southern-airlines-charter-for-christchurch/

Reply #10 Posted: February 03, 2014, 11:53:43 am
snprkd

Offline Baldesto

• Addicted
  • Baldesto barely matters.Baldesto barely matters.
i build 1/32 ww2 aeroplanes , tamiya ,revell ,hasegawa ,trumpeter are all pretty good . dont like jets, to many pointy bits....

Reply #11 Posted: February 03, 2014, 08:17:22 pm

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
C17 I saw at Whenuapai AFB, saw it on approach while driving past, made a detour and just missed the landing my about 20 seconds, was a little pissed off but oh well.

Plane is based out of Hawaii, was in AKL when there was a joint military op thing on in Timaru, it also did some low level flying practice around NZ. Have since seen another one there, but missed the tail number so unsure where it came from (but it wasn't Hawaii).

USAF C-17, 55146 at Whenuapai AFB, Auckland, New Zealand by mcctravels, on Flickr

Reply #12 Posted: February 03, 2014, 08:33:40 pm

Offline genienz

• Devoted Member
  • genienz has no influence.
I could spend hours there

I am in my 11th year working at Auckland airport and every day I still marvel at the aircraft I work around.

To get to work I drive past the Puhinui road viewing areas and always think how lucky I am to get paid to stand underneath an aircraft when I see people who sit there for hours just hoping for a glimpse.

I get really impatient with the people I am testing who have worked at the airport for years and have no interest in aircraft and still don't know the difference between a 747 and a 777.

I drive the poor engineers nuts breathing over their shoulders asking questions all the time, but they all know me now and occasionally let me sit in the push back tug when they take a big one out or let me sit in the cockpit and take the brakes off.
I'm like a kid in a candy store even after all this time.

For models I use this site. They have a great range and good prices.
http://www.planesforsale.co.nz/
Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 08:43:27 pm by genienz

Reply #13 Posted: February 03, 2014, 08:38:56 pm

Offline Dr. Acula

• Just settled in
  • Dr. Acula barely matters.Dr. Acula barely matters.
MCC, have a feeling that's the plane I got hit by the other day cruising down the North Western passing through Greenhithe, well, hit by it's shadow. Was on approach to Whenuapai and I too considered making a detour to watch it come in but as I got to the Greenhithe bridge I saw it touch down.

Reply #14 Posted: February 03, 2014, 10:13:52 pm
Dr. λculał

i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme @ 2000MHz | 2x ASUS DirectCU II 7970 3GB @ 1000/1400 | 2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Raid0 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair AX1200W Gold | Raidmax Platinum

Offline private_hell

• Addicted
  • private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.private_hell is on the verge of being accepted.
1/32 jets (f16, A-4, AV-8B), 1/48 multi props (BF-110G4, Me410-A, B-24D) and some 1/72 (Korean Corsair, F6 hellcat, Fw190-A)

also have a tamiya M1A1 with mine plow - i havent started the 1/32 ones yet - im half way thru all on the 1/48's so when i finish those i'll start the 1/32 stuff - the A-4 and F-16 will end up in RNZAF colors, and the AV-8B will be a US Marine ac.

i want to get the trumpter A6 intruder but i cant justify the price... at the moment :) There are rumours of a 1/32 Lancaster coming out sometime this year as well

Reply #15 Posted: February 03, 2014, 10:35:54 pm
"Let him who desires peace prepare for war" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (375AD) De Rei Militari

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
For models I use this site. They have a great range and good prices.
http://www.planesforsale.co.nz/

Yeah I had a look at that site but the models I was looking at I could get $20-$30 cheaper from ebay.

Reply #16 Posted: February 04, 2014, 12:57:23 am
snprkd

Offline 3viction

• Addicted
My 777 arrived today! Sorry the lighting is a little average.

AirNZ 777-300ER Smaug by 3viction, on Flickr

AirNZ 787-900 &amp; 777-300ER by 3viction, on Flickr

Reply #17 Posted: February 04, 2014, 01:22:18 am
snprkd

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

Yeah down here in CHCH we don't get as many (large planes we only have one 777-200 and one 777-300 a day) so it was cool  when the a380s got diverted here last year - posted some pics in the cool photos you've taken thread just before. When I was up in Auckland was awesome sitting there watching the different planes taking off and landing.

Resident Globemaster is a treat though.

That and you can pretty much build a betting ring around "which of Freightways' convairs is broken (or will break) today?" - although the savvy AKL and the PMR folks could play the same game.
That said, they're pretty cool planes though. Run herc engines. Very distinctive noise, used to be able to hear them pass over the city most nights.

Although not so many big planes, CHC certainly isn't lacking for variety. While I worked there I saw a fair array of the less than usual supsects trundle in. A 272 was a memorable treat. Pretty uncommon these days, I'd not seen one before. DHL's IIRC.
Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:38:53 am by Pyromanik

Reply #18 Posted: February 10, 2014, 10:32:39 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
MCC, have a feeling that's the plane I got hit by the other day cruising down the North Western passing through Greenhithe, well, hit by it's shadow. Was on approach to Whenuapai and I too considered making a detour to watch it come in but as I got to the Greenhithe bridge I saw it touch down.

Pic was taken 23rd November. But there have been a few in the area during the past couple of months. Much bigger planes than the Hercs and Orion's which are normally flying in and out of there.

Reply #19 Posted: March 02, 2014, 10:17:36 pm