Topic: Football Thread (formally Soccer Thread)

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Brilliant start to the season!

2-1 Chelsea over Hull (didn't really deserve it tbh)
3-0 for Arsenal and we are only 45 minutes into it!!

Fucking loving it. :D

Reply #100 Posted: August 16, 2009, 05:25:09 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
6-1 To the mighty Arsenal!

Fantastic game.

Reply #101 Posted: August 16, 2009, 06:36:40 am

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
  • maorifulla has no influence.
Quote from: Spork;972944
6-1 To the mighty Arsenal!

Fantastic game.

Fabregas, Van Persie and Arshavin are a mean little combo to have and arsenal are looking real good

I just want someone outside of chelsea and Man U to win!!!

Liverpool lost :(

Reply #102 Posted: August 17, 2009, 12:23:02 pm

Offline lrdz

• Just settled in
  • lrdz has no influence.
Hull lost :(

Reply #103 Posted: August 17, 2009, 03:39:35 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: maorifulla;973391
Fabregas, Van Persie and Arshavin are a mean little combo to have and arsenal are looking real good

I just want someone outside of chelsea and Man U to win!!!

Liverpool lost :(

Yea, I wouldn't mind if Chelsea win, but I just want Arsenal to finish first or second, or even fourth and win the FA cup or something like that, we need something.

Quote from: LorddLoss;973476
Hull lost :(

They did really well though! They easily could have won, or at least drawn. Bloody Drogba.

Reply #104 Posted: August 17, 2009, 05:19:16 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
What about that scorcher from Leo Bertos.
Bah can't find a vid to link. Best strike i've ever seen on Nz soil even with the deflection.

Reply #105 Posted: August 17, 2009, 08:46:08 pm

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
when i saw where bertos was taking it from i though he may try and pick out one of his team mates

man what a goal

definately one of the best long range free kicks i have seen in the a league

Reply #106 Posted: August 18, 2009, 03:36:30 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Spork;973509
but I just want Arsenal to finish first or second,

So do i. I just dropped some money on them at $6.50 to win the Premiership. If you know anything about Arsenal you'll know that this is the time when they shine.

Mind you, i also got some cheap action on the Bombers to win the flag at $80.00. It's a long shot but the Baby Bombers are back, baby! :rnr:

Reply #107 Posted: August 18, 2009, 04:49:54 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline lrdz

• Just settled in
  • lrdz has no influence.
@ bertos' goal it was pretty funny cos the commentator says "oh it shouldnt trouble the keeper from that range". then he scores. lol

Reply #108 Posted: August 18, 2009, 05:46:20 pm

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
Quote from: kilabee;973604
What about that scorcher from Leo Bertos.
Bah can't find a vid to link. Best strike i've ever seen on Nz soil even with the deflection.

[video]AP1PXpOyWpA[/video]

I got my tickets for the all whites match today. can't wait.

Reply #109 Posted: August 18, 2009, 07:36:41 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: TofuEater;973948
So do i. I just dropped some money on them at $6.50 to win the Premiership. If you know anything about Arsenal you'll know that this is the time when they shine.

Mind you, i also got some cheap action on the Bombers to win the flag at $80.00. It's a long shot but the Baby Bombers are back, baby! :rnr:

I value your decisions and opinions quite highly, so you have tempted me to do the same, but I have only been following the Gunners since February this year, so am not confident at all on them winning, but as I said, most of the big and even the teams that are in the lower top 8 didn't do well in the first round, a win isn't enough at this level, you need to win comfortably to be able to show your opponents that you mean business.

I have a high belief that Arsenal can do real well this year (top three at the VERY least, quite possibly a win and possibly second), just after last season I am not confident enough for them to win it.

I saw the other day that the odds for Arsenal to win absolutely everything (EPL, FA, Champs league and the Carling) are at $2001.00

Reply #110 Posted: August 18, 2009, 08:40:36 pm

Offline kilabee

• Addicted
  • kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...kilabee might someday be someone...
Quote from: benlav;974031

I got my tickets for the all whites match today. can't wait.

How good is the value of the tickets :rnr:
Good work NZFB

Reply #111 Posted: August 18, 2009, 08:53:36 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: LorddLoss;973979
@ bertos' goal it was pretty funny cos the commentator says "oh it shouldnt trouble the keeper from that range". then he scores. lol

It was a great goal, very well shot, but the keeper should easily have got to it, for anyone who follows either Arsenal or Manchester, or just Soccer in general, it reminds me of the goal that Ronaldo scored against Arsenal (Almunia) last year in either the premier league or the CL semi final.

Amazing goal, but keeper should have got to it.

[video]ZNsWVuv_oxs[/video]

From 54 seconds onwards. First goal is brilliant too though.

Reply #112 Posted: August 18, 2009, 09:03:21 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Watched the first 35 mins of the Chelsea Sunderland game last night, then went to bed as I bet on Chelsea, and Sunderland scored and didn't look like giving it up, so was quite surprised at the end result.

I do not think Chelsea deserved the win, but then I did not watch the full game, so they may have been brilliant in the second half. I guess they were considering they won 3-1.

The Arsenal Celtic Champs League game was good though, just finished watching it now as I didn't know it was on TV this morning. We played well, perhaps didn't deserve our goals, but we were definitely the better team on the day. The only thing Celtic had going for them was their physical ability, but that was not enough.

I can see us (Arsenal) going a long way in this season of Soccer.

Reply #113 Posted: August 19, 2009, 06:45:26 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Hahahahahahahah at Man U

Reply #114 Posted: August 20, 2009, 08:31:53 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: runing;975029
Hahahahahahahah at Man U

Woah, I was so close to betting on them, but just had a feeling that they would lose.

Reply #115 Posted: August 21, 2009, 02:58:12 am

Offline maorifulla

• Addicted
Burnley laugh in the face of Man U :bounce:

Reply #116 Posted: August 21, 2009, 08:58:27 am

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: maorifulla;975149
Burnley laugh in the face of Man U :bounce:

And I join them in doing so, hopefully they have a similar result next weekend against Arsenal.

I'd even be happy with a draw.

Reply #117 Posted: August 22, 2009, 02:49:22 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Another thrashing dished out by the mighty Arsenal. 4-1 against Portsmouth

Man U thumped Wigan 5-0, Man City won 2-1, no idea about the rest.

We are top of the table again. :)

Reply #118 Posted: August 23, 2009, 04:01:36 am

henno

Quote from: Spork;975839

We are top of the table again. :)

Enjoy it while it lasts :) it's the other end of the season that matters

Reply #119 Posted: August 23, 2009, 09:29:10 am

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Spork;974066
I value your decisions and opinions quite highly,

I'm flattered.

I've been following the Gunners since the early 70's after my parents bought me a book of great sporting achievements for christmas. It detailed the Gunners doing the "double" (FA Cup, Premiership) in 71. They won the FA Cup in 79 and did the double again 98 and 2002.

I remember a friend telling me that they always peak around the change of the decade - and for a long time that was how their results went. If you look at their wins they always seem to come between the 8-9 years and the 01-02 years of a decade. This run was upset a bit during the early 00's as Henry led them spectacularly, but since his departure they haven't really featured.

If history repeats then we're in for another golden run - and long may it continue. :D

Reply #120 Posted: August 23, 2009, 10:21:45 am
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: TofuEater;975868
I'm flattered.

I've been following the Gunners since the early 70's after my parents bought me a book of great sporting achievements for christmas. It detailed the Gunners doing the "double" (FA Cup, Premiership) in 71. They won the FA Cup in 79 and did the double again 98 and 2002.

I remember a friend telling me that they always peak around the change of the decade - and for a long time that was how their results went. If you look at their wins they always seem to come between the 8-9 years and the 01-02 years of a decade. This run was upset a bit during the early 00's as Henry led them spectacularly, but since his departure they haven't really featured.

If history repeats then we're in for another golden run - and long may it continue. :D

That's really interesting, sort of strange as well. If true, then we are in for a very good season, and hopefully many more.

I feel that the next two matches are going to be very important for the team, especially for confidence boosting. If we can get two wins from Manchester, then we have until the very end of November before we face another of the top four teams, Chelsea.

It is quite possible that Arsenal will win this year. Although I guess I shouldn't really be judging this on their performances against two average teams in Portsmouth and Everton.

Reply #121 Posted: August 23, 2009, 04:39:21 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
Kinda like Spurs FA Cup record. They win it at the beginning of the decade.

My Dad is a spurs fan, poor guy is deluded that they can carry on and go all the way this year. Might be time for him to be admitted to a home for the bewildered.

Shame about Liverpool  :heheh:  Slow start to the season for them.

Reply #122 Posted: August 25, 2009, 09:32:32 am

Offline TuataraDude

• Devoted Member
  • TuataraDude has no influence.
I'm not going to go through 5 pages, but have any of you signed up to this?

http://iknowthescore.premierleague.com/landing.htm;jsessionid=4CC9602232097CCDAB2BE97087B39C30.web2

I don't usually do very well, but it is a bit of a laugh.

Reply #123 Posted: August 25, 2009, 09:49:31 am
Just when I thought I was out, they drag me back in.

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
signed up

phoenixunitednz

Reply #124 Posted: August 25, 2009, 10:15:18 am