Topic: Christchurch Treehouse of Awesome-Where everyone knows your name

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
If you are printing to a digital printer RGB is OK but your colours won't match very well. Some RGB colours are outside the printable gamut. So bright greens and blues will be dull as.
Best practice for print is to make a new document, with these settings;
300dpi (pixels per inch), CMYK. The size you want.
If it suddenly looks dull, it's because it's trimming the colours to what is printable by mixing cyan magenta yellow and black.
Print out a small version that you are happy with colour wise and take it to the printers to match.

Sometimes RGB comes up better on digital printers like large format because they might be using 6 colours (hexachrome I think they call it) and the RIP can interperate those brighter colours better than if it was CMYK.

There should be some places online that quote via size for you. Standard sizes will be cheaper.

I need a few pages to explain all this tbh
Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:06:18 pm by Emrico1

Reply #13475 Posted: July 02, 2012, 04:02:14 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Warehouse Stationery are a good place for walk ins.

You can request what stock you want, or buy it there then ask them to print on it.

They print on anything up to A0. I got massive A0 prints done of one my dogs.

Reply #13476 Posted: July 02, 2012, 04:04:53 pm

Offline Tandoori

• Addicted
  • Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.Tandoori is a force to reckon with.

Reply #13477 Posted: July 02, 2012, 04:11:49 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!

Reply #13478 Posted: July 02, 2012, 04:18:25 pm

Offline Catalyst

• Addicted
  • Catalyst barely matters.Catalyst barely matters.

Reply #13479 Posted: July 02, 2012, 04:25:56 pm

Offline Emrico1

• Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!Emrico1 is a rising star!
Quote from: Retardobot;1492304
Who's jelly of my new avatar?

Puts hand up*

Its rad.

Reply #13480 Posted: July 02, 2012, 04:26:32 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Reply #13481 Posted: July 02, 2012, 04:34:03 pm

Codex

Quote from: Super_Hori;1492293
I want to print some things I've done in photoshop.

As an example;

This is big, too big for my printer at home anyhow. Where would I go to print something like this, and how expensive is that sort of shit ?
Ideally I'd want some sort of gloss-finish card or something durable.

>72dpi
>suicide

Reply #13482 Posted: July 02, 2012, 06:34:50 pm

Offline zolteg

• Devoted Member
  • zolteg has no influence.
Quote from: Emrico1;1492266
Potential client sends an email requesting a quote at 7pm Friday night.
Emails at 9am Monday saying not to bother because I am too slow.

Trying to think of a witty way of saying fuck you to this person.

http://clientsfromhell.net/

a
nd you fucking know it, too

Reply #13483 Posted: July 02, 2012, 08:27:04 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Emrico1;1492297
If you are printing to a digital printer RGB is OK but your colours won't match very well. Some RGB colours are outside the printable gamut. So bright greens and blues will be dull as.
Best practice for print is to make a new document, with these settings;
300dpi (pixels per inch), CMYK. The size you want.
If it suddenly looks dull, it's because it's trimming the colours to what is printable by mixing cyan magenta yellow and black.
Print out a small version that you are happy with colour wise and take it to the printers to match.

Sometimes RGB comes up better on digital printers like large format because they might be using 6 colours (hexachrome I think they call it) and the RIP can interperate those brighter colours better than if it was CMYK.

There should be some places online that quote via size for you. Standard sizes will be cheaper.

I need a few pages to explain all this tbh

I seem to remember Growler saying he prints all his shit RGB.

Quote from: Emrico1;1492266
Potential client sends an email requesting a quote at 7pm Friday night.
Emails at 9am Monday saying not to bother because I am too slow.

Trying to think of a witty way of saying fuck you to this person.

ClientsFromHell.net

LOG THAT SHIT FOR ALL THE WORLD TO LOL

oh zolteg beat me :<

Quote from: Retardobot;1492304
Who's jelly of my new avatar?

Totally me.
Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:08:23 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #13484 Posted: July 02, 2012, 10:05:48 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
yep, all my big shit is RGB, the rips do a better breakdown then PS etc. If doing LARGE prints 300dpi is really overkill, 150 is more than enough, hell 75 is fine for 95% of large prints unless you want to pixel peep.

My large is probably differn't to what other think.

Reply #13485 Posted: July 03, 2012, 12:04:08 am
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Super_Hori;1492293
I want to print some things I've done in photoshop.

As an example;

This is big, too big for my printer at home anyhow. Where would I go to print something like this, and how expensive is that sort of shit ?
Ideally I'd want some sort of gloss-finish card or something durable.

Pm me mate, put image up on yousendit or similar and send me the link, I can print it on some gloss synthetic. I can do that for you for $50 cash, if you want super thick to hang, I could print it to some metal but that would be alittle more expensive, prob closer to $70

Reply #13486 Posted: July 03, 2012, 12:08:39 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Yeah, I've gotten away with some pretty low quality images only because they were being printed large and being viewed from a few meters.

However, that's because my boss doesn't understand 72, 150 and 300 DPI quality settings and forces me to use whatever he gives me.

Reply #13487 Posted: July 03, 2012, 08:06:32 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

I ran out of milk and only had enough protein mix for one drink so I used water. After I had poured the water in I realised it was warm...

I drank a warm protein drink made of water....

It tasted as close to jizz as I'd imagine.

Almost hurled.

Reply #13488 Posted: July 03, 2012, 09:01:12 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

TRIPLE POST FOR POSTERITY.

HOLY SHITBALLS.

Massey just tried calling me twice, I couldn't answer. Receive an email saying they want to talk to me ASAP about a design position.

Excite.

Reply #13489 Posted: July 03, 2012, 09:32:26 am

Offline Growler

Nice, play hardball now bro, they want you..... make sure you get the $$$ and holidays you want!

Reply #13490 Posted: July 03, 2012, 09:34:54 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Growler;1492405
Nice, play hardball now bro, they want you..... make sure you get the $$$ and holidays you want!

To be honest, I'm slightly apprehensive about accepting anything.

I've now only 9 months left in the country. When I applied I had roughly 11 months which I felt was reasonable to be in the position (still felt guilty).

Reply #13491 Posted: July 03, 2012, 09:37:26 am

Offline Growler

Reply #13492 Posted: July 03, 2012, 09:43:24 am
Think of me like Yoda,

Offline Emrico1

Reply #13493 Posted: July 03, 2012, 11:40:18 am

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Well...

Wank me off and jizz on my face.

Just got offered the position. At a $5 p/hr wage increase with 4 weeks per year of paid leave and other typical benefits I said yes.

I start on the 23rd. Apparently the guy they offered it too said yes to the position but when he had resigned from his current position he decided he didn't actually want to work anymore. They also said it wasn't a case of me being 2nd, apparently I truly was neck and neck with the guy and they basically just had to pick a name from the hat.

Now to tell the boss I'm fucking off in 3 weeks. Hate this part.

Reply #13494 Posted: July 03, 2012, 12:33:39 pm

Offline Emrico1

Quote from: Retardobot;1492429
Now to tell the boss I'm fucking off in 3 weeks. Hate this part.

BRO! Keep in mind all the bullshit this guy has put you through.

Savor it, enjoy the chance to take the power away from that almighty dbag.

Celebrate!

Reply #13495 Posted: July 03, 2012, 12:38:20 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Yeah, he puts me through some stupid shit for crappy pay, limits the quality of work I can produce and scratches his belling my ear but at the end of the day it'll be the clients that suffer when I leave and that's what makes me feel guilty.

Like I'm walking away from responsibility.

But, this is a career move which is why I'm going through with it.

Reply #13496 Posted: July 03, 2012, 12:43:11 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Ring your clients to say "So long and thanks for all the fish" and also say  "I'll be working at such and such but might do some freelance stuff too?"

Reply #13497 Posted: July 03, 2012, 01:00:22 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Pitchey;1492435
Ring your clients to say "So long and thanks for all the fish" and also say  "I'll be working at such and such but might do some freelance stuff too?"

Technically they are clients of my current work (not me as a professional) so it's not really my place to be calling them and announcing my departure. I don't want to be seen as 'poaching' clients.

My guilt comes from leaving and knowing that shit will be fumbled until a replacement is found. And if I know my boss, it will take a while to find a replacement because he is going to ride his 18yr old son into the ground trying to get him to do my job and in turn work quality taking a massive dive. No matter how much my boss fucks me off, I still don't like it as he'll be seeing my departure as me 'letting him down'.

EDIT: A tiny bit of guilt has subsided. Boss came in to the studio and does what he usually does. Watch me, judge the work (which is fine), then completely shits all over my work flow by forcing me to make changes before anything is finished, messing my entire work board up which will now add an extra hour to everything because shit is all out of order.

Wanted to throw shit in the air and swag the fuck out.
Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:24:49 pm by Retardobot

Reply #13498 Posted: July 03, 2012, 01:17:48 pm

Offline Growler

You got holidays owing?

Hand in notice, inform last week of work you will be taking owed holidays..... FUCK YEAH!

Reply #13499 Posted: July 03, 2012, 01:23:56 pm
Think of me like Yoda,