Topic: www.redhotpawn.com - safe for work - online chess

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
That my friend, is called extreme rust.

I had a reasonably strong opening I thought, purely by accident for the most part. I had no plan after that, and the opening left me reasonably restricted with my bigger pieces. I tried for some traps, but often didn't see a third piece that could defeat me. That's what happened with both knights I think.

Once you moved your second knight into play it pretty much locked down the board and crippled the majority of my plans (most of which I'd made then ignored anyway, leading to the capture of my second knight). I didn't have my pieces in the right places and not enough moves left before your looming checkmate for me to salvage any useful play.

But it was fun to play again. We should do this more often. But for now I'll break I think, plus it's nearly 2am in NZ, do you not have work in the morning?

I am on holiday

e3 for black is a defensive opening. I personally think e3 is probably the best opening for both sides, but it leads too almost every opening type in the game so learning it would be a problem

Here is the annotations for the game. You can actually make your own annotated versions of games too! You can even comment on my annotations
http://www.redhotpawn.com/annotation/annotationinteractive.php?annotationid=3907

I am trying to get the annotated pgn

Reply #75 Posted: January 21, 2014, 02:08:18 am
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
hahaha

Quote from: Tiwaking
Na5? I will punish this

I actually lol'd, well done my friend.

Reply #76 Posted: January 21, 2014, 02:14:55 am
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline benlav

• Addicted
  • benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...benlav might someday be someone...
I'm keen, not sure when I last played... So resistance will be futile (mine) for a while.

Reply #77 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:15:45 am

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Last time you and I played we drew.

I suspect a similar outcome if we play again now.

Reply #78 Posted: January 21, 2014, 11:57:09 am

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
A few years ago the Red Hot Pawn website created a Blitz program to play online in real time

http://www.redhotpawn.com/blitz/playblitzchess.php

The scores and results of this game arent recorded. I've only had two games and lost both of them badly. You can play anywhere from 1 minute with 0 second increments to 60 minutes with 60 second increments. Every move you make gives you extra time on the clock based on the Increment setting

I'd suggest 10 minute blitz with 30 second increments

Reply #79 Posted: January 21, 2014, 05:54:53 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

That was absolutely crazy. I messed up the ending really badly!
Oh Pyro, your 11th move was an absolute disaster!

For some reason my conditional moves werent being played so I was forced to manually do stuff, thats where I made that bad mistake at move 21 and lost the bishop

http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=10433075&cbqsid=9350

For anyone interested, here is a screenshot of the final position of this crazy game

edit: And now he's just challenged me to another two games. Its like 2:30 in the morning!
Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:17:15 am by Tiwaking!

Reply #80 Posted: January 22, 2014, 02:11:54 am

Offline Pyromanik

It sure was interesting indeed. As you said I didn't develop pieces early enough, I was busy defending against your agressive opening. Then in the end I did a bit of a hari kari, hehe. I wasn't getting out of that :P
But looking at improvements, I managed to capture a similar number of pieces this time :D

Reply #81 Posted: January 22, 2014, 02:18:47 am

Offline Tiwaking!

It sure was interesting indeed. As you said I didn't develop pieces early enough, I was busy defending against your agressive opening. Then in the end I did a bit of a hari kari, hehe. I wasn't getting out of that :P
But looking at improvements, I managed to capture a similar number of pieces this time :D

Here is an annotated version of our game
http://www.redhotpawn.com/annotation/annotationinteractive.php?annotationid=3911

There were loads of defensive moves you didnt have to play, like a6 attacking my Bishop, but that move 11. Rae1 c5?? Was really bad. Your pawns were all perfectly fine where they were

During the game I totally missed dxc7. Also, because you had quite a few forced move situations, I set up a bunch of conditional moves but the system didnt seem to be making them and I was getting "Its your move" alerts

Reply #82 Posted: January 22, 2014, 11:44:36 am

Offline Pyromanik

Yeah I was worried about dxc7 a lot, but I was being walked about anyway, so wasn't too much concerned. I decided to trap myself rather than let it finally get promoted, I couldn't bare that fate :P

Reply #83 Posted: January 22, 2014, 12:24:17 pm

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
Keen to play a few games, and be horrible, but learn some shit. Where do I sign up!?

Reply #84 Posted: January 22, 2014, 01:04:04 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!

Offline Pyromanik

Keen to play a few games, and be horrible, but learn some shit. Where do I sign up!?

thread title ;)

Once signed up, Benlav is 'Benlav', Tiwaking! is 'Tiwaking', and I am 'Pyromanik'. You should be able to view our profile pages, to which their is a challenge button in the left menu. If not (not sure there's a search) just type our names in when you make a 'New game' (button top of page when logged in).

Though I don't recommend playing Tiwa or Ben Lav. The former will give you a right spanking, and the latter is yet to answer my challenge after saying he was keen (I guess he forgot his login or something).

There are also randos floating around. Never played them though, I like the idea of getting spanked by folks I know better than being embarrassed by folks I don't :P
Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:24:27 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #85 Posted: January 22, 2014, 01:21:43 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

Pyromanik challenged me to three games at once, and it was a very fast series of three games!

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardanalysis.php?gameid=10433913&cbqsid=21223
In this game I totally missed Qc4 mate!! I thought you would fall for my mating attack on the 17th move, but you sacrificed everything going for a draw, which you almost got! I didnt even realize it was almost a draw until you warned me

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardanalysis.php?gameid=10433912&cbqsid=18033
In this game you were totally winning
11. Qxd6 was a great move but when I woke up this morning I got this:
13. Qc5?? And got a free Queen!

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardanalysis.php?gameid=10433914&cbqsid=6038
And finally in this game you fell for one of the dirtiest tricks in the book. Black can never play exf5

Go to www.redhotpawn.com and create a login. I suggest playing benlav or Pyromanik. I have to pull out all my dirtiest of dirty tricks against Pyromanik
Munc_her is quite fun too
Anaraith is currently the worst player

edit: OH! Note that you can use the Opening Book function! This means that all the starting moves you play will come from one of the established Openings. It is not cheating to do so and isnt frowned or looked down upon.

I never use this function because I dont use standard openings. They're so mainstream :chesshipster:

There is also a conditional moves function which lets you play moves in advance. I use this all the time when people are stuck in a mating net and only have one available move
Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:35:01 pm by Tiwaking!

Reply #86 Posted: January 22, 2014, 01:25:14 pm

Offline Pyromanik

I'm not so gullible to fall for the 4 move mate!

Three games at once was more from curiosity. I wanted to play three games at the same time and see how they developed. Maybe I could identify some kind of weakness in myself, or maybe you'd think less and make some mistakes :P I varied from that a little as I moved to different tactics in each, slowly coming together and falling apart as I got more tired...

Interesting though in some success in the plan. All three games picked up as I took on board that you identified that I play very defencivly and got more aggressive (at least for a bit in the case of the more sacrifical strategy - wasn't going for a draw, more just hoping to come out on top after a game of attrition ;) )

Reply #87 Posted: January 22, 2014, 01:38:31 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

I'm not so gullible to fall for the 4 move mate!

Three games at once was more from curiosity. I wanted to play three games at the same time and see how they developed. Maybe I could identify some kind of weakness in myself, or maybe you'd think less and make some mistakes :P I varied from that a little as I moved to different tactics in each, slowly coming together and falling apart as I got more tired...

Interesting though in some success in the plan. All three games picked up as I took on board that you identified that I play very defencivly and got more aggressive (at least for a bit in the case of the more sacrifical strategy - wasn't going for a draw, more just hoping to come out on top after a game of attrition ;) )

Here are all three games with Annotations and a picture from a Critical moment in the game:
http://www.redhotpawn.com/annotation/annotationinteractive.php?annotationid=3912
Spoiler :
http://www.redhotpawn.com/annotation/annotationinteractive.php?annotationid=3913
Spoiler :
http://www.redhotpawn.com/annotation/annotationinteractive.php?annotationid=3914
Spoiler :
Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:23:32 pm by Tiwaking!

Reply #88 Posted: January 22, 2014, 04:20:35 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Here are all three games with Annotations and a picture from a Critical moment in the game:
http://www.redhotpawn.com/annotation/annotationinteractive.php?annotationid=3912

This one I had grand designs for. Unfortunately for me, I didn't see knight guarding d7; I was too focussed on the queen being safe in that position. The idea was to cd7, then maybe leverage the Queens safety for the bishop to move in and pin the king, or something. Dunno, but it didn't work in any case, was basically a waste of a move in the end, although it looked impressive at first :P

Reply #89 Posted: January 22, 2014, 10:49:06 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

This one I had grand designs for. Unfortunately for me, I didn't see knight guarding d7; I was too focussed on the queen being safe in that position. The idea was to cd7, then maybe leverage the Queens safety for the bishop to move in and pin the king, or something. Dunno, but it didn't work in any case, was basically a waste of a move in the end, although it looked impressive at first :P

The diagram shows that your Queen is perfectly safe. I was expecting 0-0-0 (Castles Queenside) and I'd be totally lost. Because even if I attack your Queen, you can play Qxc7. You could even play Qxc7 now. Anything would have been better than Qc5

Reply #90 Posted: January 22, 2014, 11:11:45 pm

Offline Pyromanik

urgh d7, I meant c7. I'd have got a pawn, you'd have got my queen. Didn't seem like a good move, but castling probably would have been!

Reply #91 Posted: January 22, 2014, 11:47:54 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

urgh d7, I meant c7. I'd have got a pawn, you'd have got my queen. Didn't seem like a good move, but castling probably would have been!
Actually you're right! You cant play Qxc6 at the moment because the Knight is protecting it. The only move that frees my position is Ng6 and then Be2 and then Be6 and then castles

That is alot of And Thens. The Knight can go the other way with: Nc8, Nb6, Be2 and castles. But all this only happens if you let me, and a game is going  badly when an opponent dictates your moves

Reply #92 Posted: January 23, 2014, 05:48:16 am

Offline Pyromanik

As I let you do too often :/

Reply #93 Posted: January 23, 2014, 06:07:19 am

Offline Tiwaking!

You should give Fischers Random Chess aka Chess960 a go!
http://www.chesshotel.com/play-random-chess.php

It's crazy complicated, but really fun. This one game I accidentally lost my Queen and a Knight yet still somehow won, all due to our starting position and my opponent castling into my rooks

Reply #94 Posted: January 26, 2014, 10:07:31 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

NO WAY! RedHotPawn just integrated Fischers Random Chess into their New Game setup
http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=156513&page=&page=2
Quote from: ponderable
27 Jan '14 11:42
Originally posted by Linden Lyons
I'd also like to see Fischer Random Chess on RHP.
Go to New game / set up your won board / Fischer Random Start

The games are unrated though.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/paintboard.php?isficsherstart=true

Fischers Random Chess is great for Real Time. Dont think it would be great for the Postal that we play though

Reply #95 Posted: January 28, 2014, 08:01:28 pm

Offline Pyromanik

There's also a brand new World Chess Champion.
Magnusson or similar. He looked young in the picture I saw.

I went to London and there's this shop on Baker St. (other than the Sherlock Holmes Museum), completely dedicated to Chess, card games & a few other classics (like backgammon). I think you would have really liked it Tiwa.

I got a book by Kasparov. It's for kids, so I should be able to understand it :P
Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:49:51 am by Pyromanik

Reply #96 Posted: January 29, 2014, 02:47:01 am

Offline Tiwaking!

There's also a brand new World Chess Champion.
Magnusson or similar. He looked young in the picture I saw.

I went to London and there's this shop on Baker St. (other than the Sherlock Holmes Museum), completely dedicated to Chess, card games & a few other classics (like backgammon). I think you would have really liked it Tiwa.

I got a book by Kasparov. It's for kids, so I should be able to understand it :P
I dont actually read chess books and have been trying to figure it out myself. However, YouTube is full of great videos about different ideas and it is twenty times better than any old smelly book daddy-o

Magnus Carlsen is one of my favourite (Living) Chess players and it is about time he became World Champion.  In 2011 he had a chance to play in the World Championship Candidate Matches, but decided not too because the Candidate Matches are stupid.

Here is a video from the 2004 documentary about Magnus Carlsen, when Magnus was only 13. The game was drawn, which is pretty amazing considering he was playing straight into Kasparov's favourite opening: Queens Gambit Declined

Magnus Carlsen Vs. Kasparov
And here is an analysis of their second game in which Magnus lost

Karpov beaten by a 13-yr-old Magnus Carlsen
And here he is smashing one of the best players in the world, Grand Master and former World Champion Anatoly Karpov, who was also playing in the same tournament

Karpov beaten by a 13-yr-old Magnus Carlsen
Magnus Carlsen plays like an absolute machine in the end game, and has flawless technique. He was also spent a year being trained by Gary Kasparov himself! Here is what Kasparov had to say about Magnus Carlsen:
http://time100.time.com/2013/11/25/a-new-king-for-a-new-era-in-chess/
Quote from: Gary Kasparov
Carlsen’s greatest chess strength is his remarkable intuitive grasp of simplified positions and his tremendous accuracy in them. I coached Carlsen for a year, in 2009, and I was amazed at how quickly he could correctly evaluate a position “cold,” seemingly without any calculation at all. My own style required tremendous energy and labor at the board, working through deep variations looking for the truth in each position. Carlsen comes from a different world champion lineage, that of Jose Capablanca and Anatoly Karpov, players who sense harmony on the board like virtuoso musicians with perfect pitch.

However, Magnus Carlsen has taken ALOT of criticism:

1. He plays like a computer
2. His attitude towards the World Championship (which he is now) is considered to be disrespectful
3. He very very rarely accepts draws and usually plays threefold repetition
4. He hasnt actually done anything in Chess

The main reason these criticisms have been leveled at him in particular is because of the change to classic tournament game formats. In the old days, tournament games could be held over several days by adjourning a game in progress. In the age of computers, this is now impossible, so players must sit (well, they can walk around too) there for eight, nine, ten hours. Older players are no match for younger, fitter rivals. And now that the younger, fitter rivals are also trained by our silicon overlords, this means an end to human driven chess styles.

tl;dr Magnus Carlsen is dreamy

Reply #97 Posted: January 29, 2014, 11:46:47 am

Offline Tiwaking!

New video of Magnus Carlsen discovered!

Skavlan: Magnus Carlsen VS Bill Gates
Wow!! I had no idea people took so long to make opening moves. I only play one opening for white, The Birds Opening and if the opponent deviates from the move order they get destroyed

That being said, Mr Gates did well. I cant play nearly as well as he did given only 2 minutes. That is ridiculously stressful

Reply #98 Posted: January 29, 2014, 06:32:13 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

http://www.chesshotel.com/play-random-chess.php

It's crazy complicated, but really fun. This one game I accidentally lost my Queen and a Knight yet still somehow won, all due to our starting position and my opponent castling into my rooks
What does a game of Fischers Random Chess sound like?

Fischers Random Chess 1 (Live)
My rules on castling are wrong because the sides are reversed due to me playing as black. Next time I make a video I'll use a pop filter. Dont play people who play for less than 6 minute games, its too hard

Reply #99 Posted: January 29, 2014, 09:04:51 pm