Topic: Motorcyclists of GetSome

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
I know there are some bikers around here,

I am probably going to be moving house soon, moving into my own house. In light of this, it means I am going to have to move further out (where I can afford property) and my current car (Mazda 6) although isn't particularly fuel hungy, the increase in distance is making me think about turning to the Dark side.

TBH, I probably would only bother with my Learner motorbike licence (although the idea of a Turbo-charged Hayabusa is a tempting arguement for a Full bike licence...) and am thinking something like a Honda CB400R (or similar) so that I can ride to and from work for my commute to save on Gas.

My question is - I have heard that once you add ACC levies, Decent safety gear (Helmet, Leathers, Armour, boots etc.) that it all adds up quickly and doesn't do much to offset the savings in Fuel.

So - Opinions?

Posted: July 03, 2013, 04:06:04 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
The initial outlay, quality gear, (don't scrimp), is an ouch, but once that's done, and providing you take care of it, it'll last you years, mine has.

In the long term I think it pays off, not to mention being able to zip past the traffic when it's at a standstill going to or from work!

Reply #1 Posted: July 03, 2013, 06:59:12 pm

Offline Hmmmgood

• Devoted Member
  • Hmmmgood has no influence.
Let me know if you decide to get a bike,2 of my flatmates work for separate motorcycle accessory importers.Will be able to get you some good gear for less.

Reply #2 Posted: July 03, 2013, 07:27:40 pm

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
PM me your budget, I will see what I can work out. (*Part owns Honda shop)

As Pitchy says, the outlay is big, however good gear will last practically forever if it is looked after. (I am still in my riding gear that I brought in 2002, well not really in it cos that would be weird sitting at home and such, but I still use it.)

Reply #3 Posted: July 03, 2013, 08:48:34 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
yeah, in fact i have some gear i can give ya, good set of gloves and a spare helmet, its a small, but its an AGV...  and have some old slightly battered but still good all weather gear..

Reply #4 Posted: July 03, 2013, 09:18:40 pm

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!
Dammit it Franky! Stop putting those sorts of images in my head!

Also, use the "e" dammit!

Reply #5 Posted: July 03, 2013, 09:18:55 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
lol, i have sat around in my leathers at home in front of the pc, whilst trying to stretch them in a little.. no helmet though...

Reply #6 Posted: July 03, 2013, 09:22:17 pm

Offline Scream

• Devoted Member
  • Scream has no influence.
Sure the gear and ACC levies add up, but if you keep the gear for a while it does sort it self out. You also save in more ways then money, being able to jump right to the front of traffic at a light saves a LOT of time, main thing is really just keeping an eye out for everyone else on the road, doesn't matter how safe you ride there's always some fuckwit that will try and change lane on ya, if you think your an alert driver now, wait till you've ridden a bike for a bit haha

Reply #7 Posted: July 03, 2013, 10:27:06 pm
I have too many usernames.. look at my linked accounts haha.

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Gotta keep your head up.

Reply #8 Posted: July 03, 2013, 10:40:58 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
Quote from: Xsannz;1528078
spare helmet, its a small, but its an AGV...

Needs XL to accomodate Norseman beard and hair!

Reply #9 Posted: July 04, 2013, 08:03:59 am

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
  • The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!The Demon Lord is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: deanox;1528089
Needs XL to accomodate Norseman beard and hair!

not to mention my Ego....

Thanks for all the replies - haven't got a budget or anything serious yet, just thinking about it and wanted some opinions. If I were to get a bike aswell (and be on a learners) any recomendations on what I should get (if anyone suggests a Moped, they can fuck off and die....) and how much I should be looking to spend etc?

Same applies for gear - any ball park figures?

Reply #10 Posted: July 04, 2013, 08:32:21 am

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
  • frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.frankytanky is working their way up.
Quote from: The Demon Lord;1528090

Thanks for all the replies - haven't got a budget or anything serious yet, just thinking about it and wanted some opinions. If I were to get a bike aswell (and be on a learners) any recomendations on what I should get (if anyone suggests a Moped, they can fuck off and die....) and how much I should be looking to spend etc?

Friend you have picked the best time to convert....... but seriously, they have just changed the learner rules to accomodate the fact that 250cc is not ideal for everyone, not is it set on a power to weight ratio providing the bike is 660cc or below.
This opens a whole range of bikes up instead of being pigeon holed into a small 250. Saying that there are some good 250's around.
First figure out what type of bike you want, ie sport bike, touring, cruiser. They all have pros and cons, important things are riding position and comfort, handling, performance/economy, and of course how fucking awesome you look.
Rule of thumb...
sports bikes have responsive steering and performance, but can be uncomfortable on long journeys due to the riding position.
Cruisers, slow steering and not much performance, quite comfy but catch alot of wind due to the upright riding position and lack of fairing.
Touring is the best blend of everything.

Plug for Honda here.... Honda just released 3 new bikes all powered by the same engine but with different design to each. The CB500F/CBR500R/CB500X. If you are looking new then these are pretty good, reasonably priced (starting at 10495) and they look good too. They are getting really good reviews. They aren't rocket ships but they are excellent commuters.
The thing with bike folks is they generally want the fastest loudest bike they can, so they can wind it out for probably the 1% of the whole time they have the bike. the bikes i mentioned above are optimized to run in the 99% bracket of riding. heaps of torque but low in hp, great commuter weapons.

2nd hand? the world is your oyster here.... I would steer clear from anything earlier than about 1996, prior to this I personally don't think chassis design was that great, the bikes feel heavy and cumbersome through the corners.

Let us know what you are thinking of and we can throw in our 2 cents.....

Reply #11 Posted: July 04, 2013, 10:04:39 am

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
Also, gear, I think around $1500 should get you started pretty well.

Reply #12 Posted: July 04, 2013, 10:05:27 am

Offline Ares Helix

• Just settled in
  • Ares Helix might someday be someone...Ares Helix might someday be someone...Ares Helix might someday be someone...Ares Helix might someday be someone...
Demon Lord - if you are thinking of reducing the number of wheels and need a buyer for the Mazda 6 hit me up, as my wife's looking at them currently.
I take it the car is manual?

Reply #13 Posted: July 04, 2013, 10:26:20 am
Need some music to play to?
Click here!

Offline Easymeat56k

• Just settled in
  • Easymeat56k has no influence.
Do you have a background in motorbike riding, like motocross?
Do you know anyone who can teach to ride skillfully?
Do you enjoy hospital food?
Do you have life assurance?
Unless you love getting soaked by rain, take the car on wet days.
When riding, treat every other road user as though they are trying to kill you
because some texting while driving mother*@#ker will send a message, "ran bike over, lol."
A good commuting bike doesn't cost as much to run as a high performance bike due to less power wearing out
chains, sprockets, tyres.
look for gear with the built in armour in the back, elbows, shoulders.
In 20+ years of road riding, I've T boned a car, fell off in high winds and fell over a few times on wet/icy roads.

Reply #14 Posted: July 04, 2013, 10:39:31 am
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Quote from: Ares Helix;1528100
Demon Lord - if you are thinking of reducing the number of wheels and need a buyer for the Mazda 6 hit me up, as my wife's looking at them currently.
I take it the car is manual?

I wish it was manual - had to get an Auto, but will be keeping the Car (am a drummer, so fitting a drum kit on the Back of a Bike is a bit tricky)

Probably will be a sports or a touring bike for me (not a fan of Cruisers, never have been)

Easymeat:

1: Not really (although have taken various friends bikes for blasts round carparks)
2: My brother
3: Hell no!
4: Getting a mortgage, so pretty much will be.
6: Every other road user is already a fuck-knuckle IMO
8: Definately going to get gear with Armour built in if I can - I understand that it is folly not to.

Reply #15 Posted: July 04, 2013, 11:33:51 am

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
These may be of assistance:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/getting/motorcycles/approved-motorcycles.html

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/getting/motorcycles/lams.html

Also, don't forget that if you only hold a Learners, you're still bound by the conditions of that Learners license for that particular class of vehicle you're operating.

Reply #16 Posted: July 04, 2013, 12:29:45 pm

Offline The Demon Lord

• Addicted
Quote from: Pitchey;1528105
These may be of assistance:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/getting/motorcycles/approved-motorcycles.html

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/getting/motorcycles/lams.html

Also, don't forget that if you only hold a Learners, you're still bound by the conditions of that Learners license for that particular class of vehicle you're operating.

Already been reading up on those exact links.

Reply #17 Posted: July 04, 2013, 02:49:01 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
I'll vouche for the new hondas, they look like great starter bikes.

Over a long enough period the savings in petrol will make a difference, but that depends on how reliable the bike is, and how good your gear is.

Convenience is the biggest factor I've found, filtering through traffic, parking at the door etc are all greater benefits than just the cheap running.

And you meet the nicest people riding motorcycles.

Reply #18 Posted: July 04, 2013, 07:39:43 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
n If I were to get a bike aswell (and be on a learners) any recomendations on what I should get (if anyone suggests a Moped, they can fuck off and die....)

Hey now.. you've met me and know I'm not a small guy, my first bike was a TR-50 Street Magic (which is basically a moped in a bike shape) cos I could ride it on my car learners ;-P I commuted on that for a while until I got my bike license and got myself a good old GN250 :-)

GN250 isn't a bad first bike at all, cheap, reasonably reliable, and can do the speed limit. (oh and I've done Hamilton - Wellington return more than once on one.. sore arse afterwards mind you!)

Reply #19 Posted: July 04, 2013, 08:07:10 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!

(Yamaha) Scorpio fantastic learner bike. But with most under 250's, might be a little small if you're quite a large fellow. Not that it can't handle larger folk, you just might find the frame a slight bit small.

That said if you're a smaller fellow, knowing that as a learner if you do fuck up you'll be able to pick the machine back up can provide a good bit of piece of mind. Nothing more tiring than a white knuckle deathgrip ride. Also I have to add, knowing that you're a fellow screen watcher for most of your day hours, RSI that you didn't really know you had can be a complete bitch on a motorcycle. Comfort is far more valuable than how hot you think you might look with a particular machine between your legs. Try before you buy.

franky: I saw a super sexy Honda 250 parked outside work the other day. Late model V twin. Any idea what it might have been? It looked very boss for what is traditionally an out of balance looking market (cf YZF150R - looks good, but so small with such skinny tyres, just seems out of balance with visual weight, 'na'mean?)
Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 09:14:34 pm by Pyromanik

Reply #20 Posted: July 04, 2013, 09:00:38 pm

Offline frankytanky

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Pyromanik;1528119
franky: I saw a super sexy Honda 250 parked outside work the other day. Late model V twin. Any idea what it might have been? It looked very boss for what is traditionally an out of balance looking market (cf YZF150R - looks good, but so small with such skinny tyres, just seems out of balance with visual weight, 'na'mean?)

This?

VTR250, they stopped bringing them in when the CBR250 arrived, they were a very well made bike with a price that reflected it.

Reply #21 Posted: July 05, 2013, 07:54:18 am

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
VTR would be at the top of my learner 250 bike.

Naked. sexy. FAT rear tyre and great build quality.

I'd tend to go higher than 250 though for the longevity of ownership.

Reply #22 Posted: July 05, 2013, 10:45:22 am
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1528139
Naked. sexy. FAT rear tyre and great build quality.

Yes, indeed. Very sexy. The one I saw was charcoal, well sexy indeed.
Must have been 2k9 revision, new looking with EFI and all that.

On another note, tiny sports bikes seem to be quite the thing atm.
Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:20:09 am by Pyromanik

Reply #23 Posted: July 07, 2013, 12:12:30 am

Offline winfieldsaregoo

• Devoted Member
  • winfieldsaregoo has no influence.
vfr 400s are a cool bike,poor mans ducati

Reply #24 Posted: July 08, 2013, 05:56:41 pm