Topic: Christchurch Earthquake

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!

Reply #50 Posted: September 05, 2010, 01:22:50 pm
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: d|zrupt;1306187
Quote from: Pyromanik;1306114
Enough to feel, not enough to scare.
Lasting mere split seconds, but enough to keep on toes for hours :/

errr an aftershock this morning was 5.1 on the richer scale and lasted longer than a few split seconds..

since the first hit the place hasnt stopped shaking some aftershocks lasting a few minutes.

You know the Richter scale is logarithmic right? 5.1 is less than half as bad as the original.
I woke up for it, but it was pretty mellow rocking until the very last jolt. It felt like a few minutes to you, but I can assure you it was much less.

there's a few guys looking for your scalp now cuz, I'd remember where I stand in the real world and shut my mouth real quick

Quote from: Scunner;1306158
Well, I've never seen Christchurch for myself, so how do I know the shops there are not usually missing their walls, with the bricks covering the street in front of them.

Yeh, we're all dirty perv's here, we build our bedrooms without walls! XD

Reply #51 Posted: September 05, 2010, 02:40:21 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline mattnz

• mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.mattnz is working their way up.
Quote from: Pyromanik;1306248
Quote from: d|zrupt;1306187
Quote from: Pyromanik;1306114
Enough to feel, not enough to scare.
Lasting mere split seconds, but enough to keep on toes for hours :/

errr an aftershock this morning was 5.1 on the richer scale and lasted longer than a few split seconds..

since the first hit the place hasnt stopped shaking some aftershocks lasting a few minutes.

You know the Richter scale is logarithmic right? 5.1 is less than half as bad as the original.
I woke up for it, but it was pretty mellow rocking until the very last jolt. It felt like a few minutes to you, but I can assure you it was much less.

there's a few guys looking for your scalp now cuz, I'd remember where I stand in the real world and shut my mouth real quick

Quote from: Scunner;1306158
Well, I've never seen Christchurch for myself, so how do I know the shops there are not usually missing their walls, with the bricks covering the street in front of them.

Yeh, we're all dirty perv's here, we build our bedrooms without walls! XD
Actually 20 times more mild than the original.

Reply #52 Posted: September 05, 2010, 02:44:48 pm
Now that you have read this, plz give me neg rep :>

Offline Virus.

• Devoted Member
  • Virus. has no influence.

Looks like that street was torn a new one.

Reply #53 Posted: September 05, 2010, 04:14:38 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
I hate it how disasters like these tend to tear neighbourhoods apart.

Reply #54 Posted: September 05, 2010, 04:35:40 pm

Offline nuf

• Just settled in
  • nuf has no influence.
broken chimney not much else still lots of aftershocks
http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html

Reply #55 Posted: September 05, 2010, 04:50:17 pm

Offline R3DM@N

• Addicted
  • R3DM@N has no influence.
Heres the wind

Reply #56 Posted: September 05, 2010, 05:55:15 pm

Offline bitchimom

• Just settled in
  • bitchimom has no influence.
being a girly swot and going in to the uni library over the hols to get books & journal articles for my sports research turns out to have been rather prescient...
wouldn't like to try and find anything in there at the moment...

Reply #57 Posted: September 05, 2010, 07:55:07 pm
bitchimom: dirrrrrty girl racer

earthquake refugee since aaaages ago
http://www.rebuildshakeytown.blogspot.com

Offline Menial

• Addicted
  • Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.Menial is working their way up.
Wow, it's amazing fortune that so many people were in bed at the time.

Reply #58 Posted: September 05, 2010, 08:03:20 pm

Codex

heres to hoping that the worst is over...

Reply #59 Posted: September 05, 2010, 08:06:03 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: bitchimom;1306343
being a girly swot and going in to the uni library over the hols to get books & journal articles for my sports research turns out to have been rather prescient...

Shit:

http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/update.html
Damage to some special collections and specimens

I can picture now: ~2500 years of history, shattered on the floor :(
http://www.hums.canterbury.ac.nz/clas/logie.shtml

Reply #60 Posted: September 05, 2010, 08:35:28 pm

Offline Dr Woomanchu

• Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!Dr Woomanchu is leading the good life!
Looking on the upside, the necessary money we're spending will revitalise Christchurch and in particular the inner city. We might not see the benefit for 4 or 5 years, but there's going to be a lot less problem with heritage orders for a while.

Reply #61 Posted: September 05, 2010, 11:29:21 pm

Blackwatch Off Topic - Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
  • ChineseKiwi has no influence.
Quote from: Growler;1306035
So sad to see the old buildings damaged so badly :(

Wonder how Chch Boys' faired?

It should be fine structurally cuz AFAIK, they earthquake proofed it a while back. It'll probably be a total mess inside though.

Reply #62 Posted: September 05, 2010, 11:42:31 pm

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Quote from: Menial;1306346
Wow, it's amazing fortune that so many people were in bed at the time.

Was awake at the time ^^. At first, I was 'oh yeah earthquake all good, nothing to worry about too much' but then it got bigger and yeah, oh shit! stood in doorway = all good.

Reply #63 Posted: September 05, 2010, 11:44:31 pm

Offline ChineseKiwi

• Addicted
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong (see Ngati, Menial) but this is to account for the massive differences in the damages between different parts of the city:

1) The main factor being the soil. The Avondale / Darlington and New Brighton areas were affected the most due to them being former swamp areas / close to the sea. This results in sandy, loose soil which not surprising doesn't fair well in a earthquake. Sandy soil also occurs around the Kaiapoi area thus why it was affected so badly as well and also accounts for the soil liquefaction in these places. Combine it with burst pipes = significant flooding. This is compared to the gravel / clay soils in the western parts of Christchurch, such as Middleton, where little damage occurred.

2) There are many state houses built in the 1930's-1950's in the western part of Christchurch as these were the main growth areas post WWII in Chch. These houses were very well built, with stronger materials, particularly with the strong use of native wood such as rimu and kauri, which are thick, dense woods and much more earthquake proof than modern cheaper building materials such as brick and pine.

3) The SW parts of Chch were or still are industrial areas resulting in a pioritsation of communication lines and critical infrastructure such as roading and water and sewage pipes.

Can the geologist chime in on say the bedrock types in Chch and if that was a factor?

Reply #64 Posted: September 06, 2010, 12:34:51 am

Offline Pyromanik

I put it down to liqufication (former swamp, close to shore), the fact that brick doesn't flex and that old mortar is old.
Would also like to hear a more professional opinion on it though.

Reply #65 Posted: September 06, 2010, 12:44:21 am

Offline DozyBugger

• Just settled in
  • DozyBugger has no influence.
I was in Kaiapoi the ground just cracked open and wet sand just erupued out. was amazing to see, was a solid foot surrounding the house

we now know the reason for the earthquake

Reply #66 Posted: September 06, 2010, 01:16:02 am
Of All the things I\'ve lost in Life;I miss my mind the most

Offline nick247

• Addicted
  • nick247 has no influence.
So will Christchurch go all "art deco" in the future then?

Reply #67 Posted: September 06, 2010, 02:44:13 am

Offline Distorted

• Devoted Member
  • Distorted has no influence.
Quote from: bitchimom;1306343

Had it happened a few hours later, I would have been in that library studying :/
There were cleaners in there at the time. When power came back on during Saturday arvo all the vacuum cleaners which were still plugged in fired into life lol.
I've been manning the BBQ at Facilities Management on campus the past couple of days. Some interesting stories around campus. Big cracks in granite in the law building, Chemistry absolutely trashed and flooded thanks to a broken water pipe.

Quote from: Dubyateef;1306030
been seeing alot of pics about it etc, we felt it in Dunedin, but check this site out for the pics: http://www.crashbang.co.nz/quake040910/index.html

But i feel the worst picture is this:
(tui beer img)
GUTTED

They were never going to finish it, DB Breweries had just moved tui to a long neck bottle.

Reply #68 Posted: September 06, 2010, 07:49:03 am
[23:46] <Hori> I\'d do gay for pay
[23:46] <Hori> if the pay was right

I think I would know where to sign on a sexual harrassment settlement, thank you[/CENTER]

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: ChineseKiwi;1306473
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong (see Ngati, Menial) but this is to account for the massive differences in the damages between different parts of the city:

1) The main factor being the soil. The Avondale / Darlington and New Brighton areas were affected the most due to them being former swamp areas / close to the sea. This results in sandy, loose soil which not surprising doesn't fair well in a earthquake. Sandy soil also occurs around the Kaiapoi area thus why it was affected so badly as well and also accounts for the soil liquefaction in these places. Combine it with burst pipes = significant flooding. This is compared to the gravel / clay soils in the western parts of Christchurch, such as Middleton, where little damage occurred.

2) There are many state houses built in the 1930's-1950's in the western part of Christchurch as these were the main growth areas post WWII in Chch. These houses were very well built, with stronger materials, particularly with the strong use of native wood such as rimu and kauri, which are thick, dense woods and much more earthquake proof than modern cheaper building materials such as brick and pine.

3) The SW parts of Chch were or still are industrial areas resulting in a pioritsation of communication lines and critical infrastructure such as roading and water and sewage pipes.

Can the geologist chime in on say the bedrock types in Chch and if that was a factor?

That seems a reasonable assessment CK.

Also:

http://eeg.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/content/abstract/1/4/427

http://www.nhbs.com/geology_of_the_christchurch_urban_area_tefno_46325.html

I'll see if I can find my copy when I get into my office :(

http://www.gisuser.co.nz/downloads/gis_and_geoglogy%20in%20christchurch_qmap_and_3dgeology_gns_richard_jongens.pdf

@ Pyro: yeah, I thought about the Logie Collection too :(

Looking at the pictures of the damage and from initial reports I wouldn't hold my breath on the integrity of the samples in the oven....did she follow the Scientific Method and subsample?

Reply #69 Posted: September 06, 2010, 08:36:38 am
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Scream

• Devoted Member
  • Scream has no influence.
I accidentally Christchurch.

inb4 I find out someone else has already said that.

Reply #70 Posted: September 06, 2010, 12:01:06 pm
I have too many usernames.. look at my linked accounts haha.

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/Logie.shtml

The University of Canterbury’s acclaimed James Logie Memorial Collection has sustained significant damage in Saturday’s earthquake.

The damage to one of the finest collections of Greek and Roman antiquities on public display in the southern hemisphere is devastating to the University says Vice-Chancellor Dr Rod Carr.

“Staff entering the premises on Saturday were confronted with damage which ranged from minor chipping to substantial breakages.

“Fortunately, one of the most valuable items – the Stilts vase by the Swing painter – is currently on loan to the Getty Villa in Malibu, California, where it features in The Art of Ancient Greek Theatre.”

Bugger

Reply #71 Posted: September 06, 2010, 12:33:34 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Reaper_Joe

• Devoted Member
  • Reaper_Joe has no influence.
another aftershock :barf:

Reply #72 Posted: September 06, 2010, 12:34:55 pm

Offline Pyromanik

Quote from: Ngati_Grim;1306615
http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/Logie.shtml

The University of Canterbury’s acclaimed James Logie Memorial Collection has sustained significant damage in Saturday’s earthquake.

The damage to one of the finest collections of Greek and Roman antiquities on public display in the southern hemisphere is devastating to the University says Vice-Chancellor Dr Rod Carr.

“Staff entering the premises on Saturday were confronted with damage which ranged from minor chipping to substantial breakages.

“Fortunately, one of the most valuable items – the Stilts vase by the Swing painter – is currently on loan to the Getty Villa in Malibu, California, where it features in The Art of Ancient Greek Theatre.”

Bugger

I rage :(
That is enough to make a grown man cry.

I wonder if they'll consider repair?

“We have special display cases with sand bags in them. In five of the eight cases, the items wiggled and fell but only suffered minor damage such as chips and paint scraps. With the larger items, there was more serious damage as they hit the glass.”

Well, that's a relief I guess. They didn't just fall over and smash on the floor.

Reply #73 Posted: September 06, 2010, 12:35:45 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!
yeah that felt like a good one.

Reply #74 Posted: September 06, 2010, 12:36:25 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!