Topic: Megaupload shitdown

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
  • pablo d has no influence.
Quote from: pablo d;1463810
I specifically didn't mention music ;)

It appears I spoke too soon on this...

http://www.fastcocreate.com/1679025/bright-spot-for-the-music-industry-product-placement-is-pirate-proof
Regardless of whether users pay to download videos or songs, whose lyrics can also feature paid shout-outs to brands, they're still getting the marketing message. And that's good news for both brands and the music labels. "Obviously if the song is pirated, the lyrics aren't going to change,"

And here i was thinking the whole world was crazy except me.
Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:21:21 pm by pablo d

Reply #100 Posted: January 24, 2012, 07:18:53 pm

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in

Reply #101 Posted: January 24, 2012, 07:24:59 pm

Offline 5tacK

• Addicted
  • 5tacK has no influence.
Quote from: pablo d;1463846
They may not know that *you* have watched the show but they know roughly how many hundred thousand pirate scum like you have downloaded it. You think you don't count in the viewership numbers because you didn't pay to watch it?

How does advertising work on your planet then?

If you don't know, go and find out.

Reply #102 Posted: January 24, 2012, 07:28:47 pm
[INDENT]
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Click here to join our MAV Riding Platoon
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]

[/INDENT]

Offline pyro

• Addicted
  • pyro has no influence.
Quote from: Bell;1463797
It's not above the law, but I disagree that youtube is in the business of making money of piracy, yes technically it happens but they actively take steps to stop it.
Music files and recent movies get taken down really quickly with the use of automatic software.

If the executives running youtube are actively seeking to make money from piracy then sure lock them up.

Guess all the copyrighted material on youtube doesn't make any money from all the ads huh. More traffic more money, like I said the only reason they started enforcing the take downs with newer music is because they realized they could make money on it.

Rage on about MU, carry on using youtube and say the pirating on it is fine, because its a small amount. One law for some another for others.

Reply #103 Posted: January 24, 2012, 08:01:42 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: 5loth;1463505
I wonder how long the people who create big-budget movies would carry on if 'hollywood' (the people who distribute the movies and make the money based on the article) was gone, and only ThePirateBay remained.

Forever.
With hollywood gone investors would look to other resources, such as the likes of Vodo.net.

You can already see this model working in the indy games industry. There are a heap of investment funds set up specifically for supporting budding Filmmakers & Gamedev studios.

You just have to know where to look.
I think if things got turned around and the majority became the minority... the major investment folks wouldn't look down the small guys. What is currently fringe would become mainstream. Life would go on.

In other news, saw a picture of this kim.com fellow in the paper today. That is one ugly mother fucker. Not surprised to hear he has the personality of a jackass.

Reply #104 Posted: January 24, 2012, 08:19:18 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: pyro;1463867
Guess all the copyrighted material on youtube doesn't make any money from all the ads huh. More traffic more money, like I said the only reason they started enforcing the take downs with newer music is because they realized they could make money on it.

Rage on about MU, carry on using youtube and say the pirating on it is fine, because its a small amount. One law for some another for others.

The funny thing is I intentionally put in "Yes technically it happens" and then argued against the point you just made before you made it.
Yet you went ahead and used that as an argument anyway like you hadn't grasped my post.

You comment about only enforcing take-down because they realised they could make money is pure speculation.

I'll say it again, since you don't get it.
Much of law is dependant on intent, the intent of youtube isn't to host pirated content, I don't think the same can be said about certain filesharing sites.
You can go on about how there are some legitimate files on them but there are vast amounts of pirated materials on there and the majority of the traffic will be piracy related.

To put it another way.
There is a law that states you shouldn't kill someone.
How that law is applied depends on whether you intended to kill someone or if you only meant to hurt them or if you didn't mean to at all.
Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:46:49 pm by Bell

Reply #105 Posted: January 24, 2012, 08:36:28 pm

Offline pyro

• Addicted
  • pyro has no influence.
Quote from: Bell;1463751

Quote from: Bell;1463877
The funny thing is I intentionally put in "Yes technically it happens" and then argued against the point you just made before you made it.
Yet you went ahead and used that as an argument anyway like you hadn't grasped my post.

You comment about only enforcing take-down because they realised they could make money is pure speculation.

I didn't bother reading any of your other posts, your argument was based on that youtube doesn't have feature movies on the site so therefore its ok. No Batman, so guess nothing else matters.

Yes its speculation about the music take downs, but seems pretty funny they started enforcing it right around the same time they they started making money off the music.

But im over it, carry on arguing how bad piracy and MU is, then continue to use sites like youtube.

Reply #106 Posted: January 24, 2012, 08:50:26 pm

Offline SteddieEddie

• Addicted
  • SteddieEddie barely matters.SteddieEddie barely matters.
Didn't they freeze a couple hundred mil? How does he deserve this instead of the content makers?

Reply #107 Posted: January 24, 2012, 10:05:20 pm

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: 5loth;1463564
The Demon Lord, if the content creator wanted it publically available for 'easy advertising', they would make it so. But they don't.

Much less people I know buy music now than they did 10-15 years ago. That alone is enough for me to know piracy impacts sales.

I have not bought music in a long time. I used to buy a fair bit as a kid. Even though there were still MP3's, and CD burning.
I also have not downloaded or otherwise copied any music in just about as long. My music collection hasn't expanded much in about 10 years.

I also barely listen to the radio. Lack of official consumption isn't necessarially caused by piracy.

Reply #108 Posted: January 24, 2012, 10:14:42 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Bell

• Addicted
  • Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.Bell is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: pyro;1463879

I didn't bother reading any of your other posts, your argument was based on that youtube doesn't have feature movies on the site so therefore its ok. No Batman, so guess nothing else matters.

Yes its speculation about the music take downs, but seems pretty funny they started enforcing it right around the same time they they started making money off the music.

But im over it, carry on arguing how bad piracy and MU is, then continue to use sites like youtube.

So you didn't read any of my other posts, and then completely missed the point of the ones you did read.
And your responses contained 'facts' that were %100 made up by you.
Gotcha.
Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:48:46 pm by Bell

Reply #109 Posted: January 24, 2012, 11:44:36 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Quote from: pablo d;1463851
holy fark there's legions of poor misguided fools like me...

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=piracy+and+product+placement&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Do you honestly believe that the money they get from product placement can match that of DVD sales and traditional advertising?
You argument seems to be aslong as they make some revenue regardless of how small it is then it's ok.
I highly doubt a sitcom of such quality as 30 rock could survive alone on product placements.
Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:57:14 pm by Bell

Reply #110 Posted: January 24, 2012, 11:54:01 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Really bell?

Consider an unpopular tv series has 2 million viewers per episode. Charge each viewer 20 cents per episode. That's $400000 per episode, ie, enough to cover the costs of production and provide a little something something on the side. And that doesn't take into account product placement or dvd/merch sales.

If "hollywood" didn't exist, tv shows wouldn't stop being produced. They simply wouldn't have the money to pay their stars hundreds of thousands, or even millions of dollars per episode. There would be more choice and I suspect a much broader range of shows due to the lack of "centralised control" in the form of marketing analysts proscribing what is hot this season.

Ultimately, this is an argument about the inherent value of a work of art. Hollywood and the recording industry have a vested interested in art being viewed as a product (something you buy) or a service (something you rent). For these people art is not valuable as art, it is valuable as a revenue generating machine. It is an investment. It is gambling. And because it is gambling, the producers of television shows try to offer a safe bet, by producing the same stale shit we watch constantly. That's why procedural shows are so popular!

Art being something you pay large amounts for is something that is being threatened constantly nowdays with so much free or nearly free entertainment available 24/7. Television and films have failed to keep up with this trend, and as such are losing market share. Is it any surprise people in this thread don't want to pay $10 an hour to go to the cinema, when the price of one movie ticket will buy a months worth of subscription to an online game? If TV and movies want to catch up, they need to adapt to suit the current market. At the moment, they are failing to do so and paying the price for their hubris.

Reply #111 Posted: January 25, 2012, 12:47:37 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Really bell?

Consider an unpopular tv series has 2 million viewers per episode. Charge each viewer 20 cents per episode. That's $400000 per episode, ie, enough to cover the costs of production and provide a little something something on the side. And that doesn't take into account product placement or dvd/merch sales.

If "hollywood" didn't exist, tv shows wouldn't stop being produced. They simply wouldn't have the money to pay their stars hundreds of thousands, or even millions of dollars per episode. There would be more choice and I suspect a much broader range of shows due to the lack of "centralised control" in the form of marketing analysts proscribing what is hot this season.

Ultimately, this is an argument about the inherent value of a work of art. Hollywood and the recording industry have a vested interested in art being viewed as a product (something you buy) or a service (something you rent). For these people art is not valuable as art, it is valuable as a revenue generating machine. It is an investment. It is gambling. And because it is gambling, the producers of television shows try to offer a safe bet, by producing the same stale shit we watch constantly. That's why procedural shows are so popular!

Art being something you pay large amounts for is something that is being threatened constantly nowdays with so much free or nearly free entertainment available 24/7. Television and films have failed to keep up with this trend, and as such are losing market share. Is it any surprise people in this thread don't want to pay $10 an hour to go to the cinema, when the price of one movie ticket will buy a months worth of subscription to an online game? If TV and movies want to catch up, they need to adapt to suit the current market. At the moment, they are failing to do so and paying the price for their hubris.

Reply #112 Posted: January 25, 2012, 12:47:52 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline 5tacK

• Addicted
  • 5tacK has no influence.
Quote from: Arnifix;1463919
That's $400000 per episode, ie, enough to cover the costs of production and provide a little something something on the side. And that doesn't take into account product placement or dvd/merch sales.

That's hilarious.

Reply #113 Posted: January 25, 2012, 07:57:47 am
[INDENT]
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]Click here to join our MAV Riding Platoon
[/INDENT]
[INDENT]

[/INDENT]

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
Quote from: Bell;1463914
You argument seems to be aslong as they make some revenue regardless of how small it is then it's ok.

No, I was just seeing if you'd ever thought about it. I'm not one of the ones trying to justify piracy.

In other news: last year Kim Dotcom announced a new music service to compete with the big labels and involved 90% of profits going to the artist.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=megabox&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Shit just got reeeeeeeeeeal interesting...

Reply #114 Posted: January 25, 2012, 09:09:18 am

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
Quote from: 5tacK;1463942
That's hilarious.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Reply #115 Posted: January 25, 2012, 10:17:23 am

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Here you go kiddies....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204616504577171180266957116.html
You might notice the concept of 'intent' is used throughout the document.....

argument won, thanks for playing.
Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:42:32 pm by Bell

Reply #116 Posted: January 25, 2012, 12:36:39 pm

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
Quote from: Bell;1463988
Here you go kiddies....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204616504577171180266957116.html
You might notice the concept of 'intent' is used throughout the document.....

argument won, thanks for playing.

Lol, welcome to page 3 of this thread - The feds need to prove they "wilfully"profited from copyright infringement to have a case.

Reply #117 Posted: January 25, 2012, 12:57:09 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Here is one of many choice little tid-bits from that document I've been browsing..

On or about Jan 28 2010, in an e-mail entitled "activating old countries" a user of a Mega Conspiracy site asked BATATO: "Where can we see full movies?"
BATATO replied " You need to go to our referrer sites. Such as http://www.thepiratecity.org or http://www.ovguide.com. There are the movie and series links.
You cannot find them by searching on MV directly. That would cause us a lot of trouble ;-)

They have afew pages of shit like that.

Read some of that document and tell me if you were a judge reading that, that the intent of DotCom and co isn't plainly obvious.

In conclusion the difference between youtube and MU is... INTENT it's all about fucking INTENT yet you guys refuse to argue that extremely important point you just crap on about other things because you know yourself what the intent of MU was.
Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:06:34 pm by Bell

Reply #118 Posted: January 25, 2012, 01:02:53 pm

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
Quote from: Bell;1463993
Here is one of many choice little tid-bits from that document I've been browsing..

On or about Jan 28 2010, in an e-mail entitled "activating old countries" a user of a Mega Conspiracy site asked BATATO: "Where can we see full movies?"
BATATO replied " You need to go to our referrer sites. Such as http://www.thepiratecity.org or http://www.ovguide.com. There are the movie and series links.
You cannot find them by searching on MV directly. That would cause us a lot of trouble ;-)

They have afew pages of $#@! like that.

Read some of that document and tell me if you were a judge reading that, that the intent of DotCom and co isn't plainly obvious.

In conclusion the difference between youtube and MU is... INTENT it's all about $#@!ing INTENT yet you guys refuse to argue that extremely important point you just crap on about other things because you know yourself what the intent of MU was.

So in conclusion, copyright violation on MU is bad because the owners willfully profited from it, whereas copyright violation on YouTube etc is ok because the owners don't (appear to) willfully profit from it. Gotcha. Two thumbs up _b _b

Reply #119 Posted: January 25, 2012, 01:19:07 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
Exactly, see that wasn't too hard to grasp.

Reply #120 Posted: January 25, 2012, 01:22:43 pm

Offline pyro

• Addicted
  • pyro has no influence.
Yup advertising on those pirated youtube videos don't bring in any money.

Reply #121 Posted: January 25, 2012, 01:35:45 pm

Offline Bell

• Addicted
intent

Reply #122 Posted: January 25, 2012, 01:42:01 pm

Offline pablo d

• Just settled in
Quote from: Bell;1464005
intent

does it make any tangible difference to you, as a user?

Reply #123 Posted: January 25, 2012, 01:44:04 pm

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Bell;1464005
intent
I find your defence of existing copyright law to be intents.

Reply #124 Posted: January 25, 2012, 01:45:51 pm
I am now banned from GetSome