Topic: Religion. The evolution, creation and everything in between megathread

Offline Tiwaking!

• Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!Tiwaking! is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Spacemonkey;343081
I read all kinds of information, encyclopedias, wikipedia, science magazines, and the bible.

Then with this knowledge i spends ages thinking about a nature of the universe.

I dont. I wonder what the universe ACTUALLY is and envy anyone who both comprehends and attempts to convey this information. The problem is: Humans werent made to comprehend....anything.

It is a sad sad fact
Quote from: Black Heart;343141
The phrase "jesus will return SOON" is from the bible, and its rather well known, and not open to much interpretation. 2000 years is not soon and he hasn't returned. therefore its a lie.

It's sad(for the disciples) when you think about it. The Disciples believed that Jesus would return to earth within their lifetime and that the kingdom of heaven would come to earth and they would live there. As time went on the idea of reward moved toward the more metaphorical idea that you were rewarded after death.

Also: The Millerites(now Seventh Day Adventists) and by-proxy the Bahai believed that Jesus returned  on October 22nd, 1844. Quite frankly: I believe them to be more right than anyone else
Quote from: Spacemonkey;343218
I've read the bible, and as a historic text and moral guide it's quite valid. But it's pretty stupid to accept the bible as the only truth and ignore everything else.

I both agree and disagree. The Talmud is(or would have been) one of the greatest works of religious and legal minds in the history of anything. How you could shape the ideas of a few books of law into something that was living and capable of growth and understanding is beyond reckoning.
Quote from: Prowess;343054
and just so you know mathematicians regard anything with more than 50 zeros behind it impossible.

Its funny. What mathematicians regard as 'impossible' Quantum Mechanicists call 'childs play'

Reply #1175 Posted: February 19, 2007, 10:01:03 pm
I am now banned from GetSome

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.
Quote from: Prowess;343054
and just so you know mathematicians regard
anything with more than 50 zeros behind it impossible.

this is by far the stupidest statement in this thread

Reply #1176 Posted: February 19, 2007, 11:11:57 pm
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

Offline KiLL3r

• KiLL3r has no influence.
what about viruses? they evolve really quickly. Just look at avian influenza when they first found it it only affected chickens now its evolved/mutated to attack humans

Reply #1177 Posted: February 20, 2007, 01:19:27 am

Offline Wandarah

• Addicted
  • Wandarah has no influence.

Reply #1178 Posted: February 20, 2007, 01:34:52 am
Immanentize the eschaton

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Wandarah;343629
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avian_influenza

Time to read, Killer.

Kill3r does not read! He only kills!

Reply #1179 Posted: February 20, 2007, 07:43:49 am

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Black Heart

• Addicted
  • Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.Black Heart is working their way up.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;343225
Maybe he did return, but no-one believed him, and he got locked up in a mental hospital.

But I would have to disagree with you about the 'soon' part. Life on Earth has been around for billions of years, so 2000 years is just a speak in the grand scheme of things. So what could be 'soon' to God could in fact be millions of years to humans.

However considering the phrase 'Jesus will return soon', I think that whoever wrote this meant not that Jesus will come again to Earth soon, but that humans will see Jesus soon, i.e after they die. Giving all the translation errors that could have happened, it's easy to see how the statement could have been misinterpreted.

Ah but theres a problem, creationists don't beleive the world is millions of years old. they only think its 4,000-?? years old. so 2000 years is an age. and i would dismiss the nobody believed him when he returned, son of god, and all, Dad would look out for him.

Reply #1180 Posted: February 20, 2007, 08:35:29 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Black Heart;343677
Ah but theres a problem, creationists don't beleive the world is millions of years old. they only think its 4,000-?? years old. so 2000 years is an age.

But creationists are wrong, The Earth is billions of years old, so 'Soon' could mean millions of years. Although I think the last point I made is the correct one.

Quote from: Black Heart;343677

and i would dismiss the nobody believed him when he returned, son of god, and all, Dad would look out for him.

But we have people all the time saying they are the son of god, like this guy.

"Bahá'u'lláh claimed to be the Return of Christ." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Coming#Claims_of_the_Second_Coming

Reply #1181 Posted: February 20, 2007, 08:48:04 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
In a million years, religion will be dead and buried.

God knows everything thats going to happen in the future, so he wouldn't send jesus back if he was going to be thrown in a mental institute.

And he wouldnt be, he just needs to go to a major beach with a few thousand people on it and walk on the fucking water, that shit will spread round the world in no time.

He hasn't returned.

Reply #1182 Posted: February 20, 2007, 09:19:27 am

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: BerG;343697

And he wouldnt be, he just needs to go to a major beach with a few thousand people on it and walk on the fucking water, that shit will spread round the world in no time.

but would anyone believe it (apart from the people who saw it)?

I know I wouldn't. What with special effects these days they can making anything look real on a video. You can't always believe what you see on TV.

That ad for McCain's Pizzas on TV where that guy walks on water looks real, but I don't believe he's the son of God.

Reply #1183 Posted: February 20, 2007, 09:46:46 am

Offline dirtyape

• Addicted
  • dirtyape has no influence.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;343719

I know I wouldn't. What with special effects these days they can making anything look real on a video. You can't always believe what you see on TV.

That ad for McCain's Pizzas on TV where that guy walks on water looks real, but I don't believe he's the son of God.

They believed it back in the day, doesn't mean it was real. Walking on water would be quite a simple trick, and people believe what they want to believe. As would be water into wine. "Look up there!" *switches cups*

If David Coperfield was around back then he would be a son of god also, and the bible would also have this passage "And so did David Christ remove the blanket and the cart had disappeared!"

uh oh - I think I just blasphemed - get the pitchforks!

Reply #1184 Posted: February 20, 2007, 10:15:27 am
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are difficult to verify." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
Quote from: Spacemonkey;343719

Of course you dont, its a fucking advertisement.

Perhaps the twin tower attacks was just special effects.

Spacemonkey, if a few thousand people on a beach saw a guy doing it, and 500 caught it on video, and it was played around the world on the news, then this guy is going to get noticed.

Then they would just have to get him to perform some other miracles, heal a few people with deadly knife wounds etc, and we would have proof.

Stop being an idiot.

Reply #1185 Posted: February 20, 2007, 10:26:06 am

Offline Deagle

• Just settled in
  • Deagle has no influence.
I know this is kinda very off track from what everyone else has posted in this thread, but in a battle between science and religion, I would have to say that Religion would win.

I mean, look at the sides.  Science has the geek-type guys, like Stephen Hawking and all the other stereotypical geeks with pocket protectors.  Religion has all the TV evangalists that you see all the time, standing up their getting worked up delivering their speechs.  Now I know that Christianity has a "turn the other cheek" philosophy towards violence, however those guys on TV can get some righteous fervour going.

Plus there is always the Shaolin monks doing their chanting thing, before they open a can of whup-ass on the collective skinny asses of the geeks.

In closing, I would like to say that 9/10 ninja's are cool, however 5/4 people who can't do maths think 9/8 pirates are even cooler.

Reply #1186 Posted: February 20, 2007, 10:32:13 am

Offline BerG

• Terminator

But science has most of the people that were jocks at school. The big, muscular guys. Not because they are good at science, but they arn't religious.

Religion may have karate experts, but science has machine guns.

Not to mention science has Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Reply #1187 Posted: February 20, 2007, 10:50:40 am

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
  • Simon_NZ has no influence.

Reply #1188 Posted: February 20, 2007, 10:53:51 am

Quote from: BerG;343762
Of course you dont, its a fucking advertisement.

Perhaps the twin tower attacks was just special effects.

Spacemonkey, if a few thousand people on a beach saw a guy doing it, and 500 caught it on video, and it was played around the world on the news, then this guy is going to get noticed.

Then they would just have to get him to perform some other miracles, heal a few people with deadly knife wounds etc, and we would have proof.

Stop being an idiot.

According to the bible, Jesus didn't perform miracles just to show off, he did it to help people.

So I doubt he would be the kind of guy to walk on water just to prove he was Jesus, infact it may not even be possible for him to do that.

Reply #1189 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:27:39 am

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
  • Prowess has no influence.
Quote from: Deagle;343770
I know this is kinda very off track from what everyone else has posted in this thread, but in a battle between science and religion, I would have to say that Religion would win.

I mean, look at the sides.  Science has the geek-type guys, like Stephen Hawking and all the other stereotypical geeks with pocket protectors.  Religion has all the TV evangalists that you see all the time, standing up their getting worked up delivering their speechs.  Now I know that Christianity has a "turn the other cheek" philosophy towards violence, however those guys on TV can get some righteous fervour going.

Plus there is always the Shaolin monks doing their chanting thing, before they open a can of whup-ass on the collective skinny asses of the geeks.

In closing, I would like to say that 9/10 ninja's are cool, however 5/4 people who can't do maths think 9/8 pirates are even cooler.

Deagle is the man

Reply #1190 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:29:41 am

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Simon_NZ;343802
Id bash jesus.

simon_nz is a dick!!!!!!!!

Reply #1191 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:30:48 am

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
one again

i do a BSC

I have seen what this guy jesus looks like

id bash him

simple

Reply #1192 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:31:21 am

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Deagle;343770

science can create tanks with guns. Id like to see a shaolin monk beat a abrams tank

Reply #1193 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:31:41 am

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
Quote from: Prowess;343843

i didnt say i would, just that i could.

Reply #1194 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:32:32 am

Quote from: Simon_NZ;343845
one again

i do a BSC

I have seen what this guy jesus looks like

id bash him

simple

I didn't know they had cameras 2000 years ago, or does Auckland University have a time machine now?

Reply #1195 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:37:49 am

Offline Prowess

• Just settled in
Quote from: Fragin';343557
this is by far the stupidest statement in this thread

where is the science is this statment or any of the others.you say its science vrs
religion but its not its evolution vrs religion.the way you prove something scientificly
is by testing it and retesting it.nothing about evolution can be tested.and there are
so few fossils that they would not even fill a hurse.not even enough for a proper
funral.and the fossils we do have consist many of fragment that could be a istint
breed of monkey.stop calling it true when it is just a theory.

Reply #1196 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:39:56 am

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Prowess;343843

why because he wants to beat up a guy who thinks he is the king of men. in this day and age jesus would be in  a mental instituion

Reply #1197 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:39:56 am

Offline KiLL3r

Quote from: Prowess;343860
where is the science is this statment or any of the others.you say its science vrs
religion but its not its evolution vrs religion.the way you prove something scientificly
is by testing it and retesting it.nothing about evolution can be tested.and there are
so few fossils that they would not even fill a hurse.not even enough for a proper
funral.and the fossils we do have consist many of fragment that could be a istint
breed of monkey.stop calling it true when it is just a theory.

so where your physical evidence that god exist? We may have a few fossils buts it a hell of a lot more than what youve got

Reply #1198 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:40:58 am

Offline Simon_NZ

• Addicted
i stradle time like a colossus

Reply #1199 Posted: February 20, 2007, 11:41:15 am