Topic: Beer appreciation thread

Offline Lias

• Administrator
  • Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!Lias is awe-inspiring!
Grim: You gonna come have a beer with me? I think your politics are insane but I'm sure it'd be fun to debate with you over beers :-)

Reply #200 Posted: February 05, 2011, 09:35:10 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
Haha, I think politics are insane ;)

Sure, if I can, it'd be great :)

Reply #201 Posted: February 05, 2011, 10:57:36 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Tomorrow night I shall be opening a bottle of Renaissance Elemental.

Elemental is our most awarded beer, it has won gold medals in Australia and New Zealand as well as being consistantly rated New Zealand's top beer .

Originally the beer of choice for workers in London’s produce markets, the beer was a mixture of the previous nights slops that the "porters" would drink when they clocked off at dawn. Porter is also Andy's all time favourite beer style. Brewed in the modern ‘robust’ style, Elemental Porter is a rich, full bodied brew with plenty of dry, dark chocolate and roasty malt flavours which gradually give way to a cleansing hop-driven finish.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9292/55893y.jpg
Beer appreciation thread

Also, just found this: http://www.ratebeer.com

Win.
Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:06:39 pm by Retardobot

Reply #202 Posted: February 05, 2011, 11:04:20 pm

Offline Vaelo

• Just settled in
  • Vaelo has no influence.
Elemental is awesome.
Had a Big Bear Black Stout lastnight after work and a Big Eye IPA, then went down to malthouse and had a Tuatara APA, VIP treatment - got it in a glass where everyone else was drinking from plastic cups. The barman there said the most expensive thing they had to put into a plastic cup was Mikkeller/Brewdog Divine Rebel (which is awesome) http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brewdog-mikkeller-devine-rebel/99614/ - about $24 a bottle.

Reply #203 Posted: February 06, 2011, 02:01:51 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

• Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!Retardobot is awe-inspiring!
Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale is a win.

Just had to de-canter it.

Christ it's good.

Cloudy, big head, stacks and stacks of flavour.

If you were to drink it with your eyes closed you'd swear you'd be drinking a thick mealy stout.

Reply #204 Posted: February 06, 2011, 04:40:36 pm

Offline Ngati_Grim

• Addicted
  • Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.Ngati_Grim is on the verge of being accepted.
No such thing as 'de-canter' Rii. It's not a horse. You can just decant it.

Told you it'd be fine

;)

Reply #205 Posted: February 06, 2011, 05:22:06 pm
Recycle your red poppies, paint them white, and wear them throughout the year.

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Ah ok. I just passed it through a sieve anyway. The bottle acted as a decanter as well.

Closest thing to a decanter that I have is a huge 2L glass with a slight bulge in it.

Decanter.

Reply #206 Posted: February 06, 2011, 05:28:35 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
  • Blob_ZPS has no influence.
Sedimentation is good for you, puts hairs on your chest.

On another note, who here is a SOBA member?

Reply #207 Posted: February 06, 2011, 06:13:56 pm

Offline Vaelo

• Just settled in
Just had the awesome golden ale that is Talley Ho! - the new brewers reserve from Emersons.
had a few others. finished with Ganko Oyaji. Japanese Barley wine - http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/baird-ganko-oyaji-stubborn-old-man-barley-wine/73112/
was tits. have a Red Rocket "bastardized scotch ale" and a Rogue Chipotle to go with roast lamb for dinner. - both fucking good beers.
EDIT: also a SOBA member.
Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:18:19 pm by Vaelo

Reply #208 Posted: February 06, 2011, 06:16:52 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Vaelo;1357723
Just had the awesome golden ale that is Talley Ho! - the new brewers reserve from Emersons.
had a few others. finished with Ganko Oyaji. Japanese Barley wine - http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/baird-ganko-oyaji-stubborn-old-man-barley-wine/73112/
was tits. have a Red Rocket "bastardized scotch ale" and a Rogue Chipotle to go with roast lamb for dinner. - both fucking good beers.
EDIT: also a SOBA member.

Had that barley wine on friday, rather enjoyed it.

Reply #209 Posted: February 06, 2011, 06:18:41 pm

Offline Vaelo

• Just settled in
Getting another shipment of Baird kegs soon, along with Nøgne Ø kegs - they will both share a tap, and we will keep the american beers on tap at the same time. I see some rather late (even more late) nights in future.
If you like the Ganko Oyaji perhaps try the bottle of west coast wheat wine, its a "fun" barley wine

Reply #210 Posted: February 06, 2011, 06:23:11 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Vaelo;1357730
Getting another shipment of Baird kegs soon, along with Nøgne Ø kegs - they will both share a tap, and we will keep the american beers on tap at the same time. I see some rather late (even more late) nights in future.
If you like the Ganko Oyaji perhaps try the bottle of west coast wheat wine, its a "fun" barley wine

Im going to come in and try the Sultan Of Swing when its on tap.

Reply #211 Posted: February 06, 2011, 06:25:02 pm

Offline Vaelo

• Just settled in
Quote from: Blob_ZPS;1357732
Im going to come in and try the Sultan Of Swing when its on tap.
8 wired is tits. we have 2 kegs, each fermented with a different yeast, there was another keg fermented with a 3rd, but it wasn't good enough to sell as a trial (or so awesome it didn't make it to the keg)

Reply #212 Posted: February 06, 2011, 06:36:40 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Vaelo;1357739
8 wired is tits. we have 2 kegs, each fermented with a different yeast, there was another keg fermented with a 3rd, but it wasn't good enough to sell as a trial (or so awesome it didn't make it to the keg)
Any ETA as to when theyre going to be pouring?

Reply #213 Posted: February 06, 2011, 08:09:37 pm

Offline Arnifix

• Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.Arnifix has an aura about them.
Quote from: Blob_ZPS;1357720
Sedimentation is good for you, puts hairs on your chest.

On another note, who here is a SOBA member?

soba member reporting in. At hashigo having a pint of talley ho as we speak.

Reply #214 Posted: February 07, 2011, 05:40:54 pm

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.

Offline Vaelo

• Just settled in
Enjoying a rather nice home brew. Also had a Mike's Pilsner last night, was very drinkable.

Reply #215 Posted: February 09, 2011, 09:14:40 pm

Offline Retardobot

• Admin Of This Place

Quote from: Vaelo;1358742
Enjoying a rather nice home brew. Also had a Mike's Pilsner last night, was very drinkable.

I've heard good things about Mike's. Only drinkable?

Reply #216 Posted: February 09, 2011, 09:16:17 pm

Offline Vaelo

• Just settled in
Quote from: RetardoBot;1358743
I've heard good things about Mike's. Only drinkable?

Pilsner's don't really do much for me, the organic IIPA on the other hand, I love this beer, and the whiskey porter they do. Tastes very similar to Idoit IPA from Coranado in Cali.
http://www.cultbeerstore.co.nz/collections/new-zealand-bottled-beer/products/mikes-iipa
Mike's IIPA 9% 8/10 -EDIT: best from a fresh keg, new batch just in last week and its the best yet.

Reply #217 Posted: February 09, 2011, 09:34:16 pm

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
The Sultan of swing was a bit underwhelming tbh.

The hallertau stuntman was good as though.
Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:46:40 am by Blob_ZPS

Reply #218 Posted: February 19, 2011, 12:44:23 am

Offline Vaelo

• Just settled in
Had a Duvel Triple Hop lastnight, was awesome good beer to share as its a bit pricey, but worth it.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/duvel-tripel-hop/79945/
Also if you have a smart phone there is a site called untappd http://untappd.com that you can check into beers and see what your friends are drinking.
http://untappd.com/user/Vaelo

Reply #219 Posted: February 19, 2011, 03:25:38 pm

Offline Zenith

• Just settled in
  • Zenith has no influence.
Just sitting down with a home brew.  Just a Coopers lager but 1/2 brew -no sugar so nice and malty. quite enjoying it on a nice warm day.
All my brews are malt only as I have the Macs brew kit which is 11.5 litres.  No bad ones yet

Reply #220 Posted: February 19, 2011, 03:43:34 pm
 (Until I find a current one...)

Offline Vaelo

• Just settled in
had a Moa RIS (Russian Imperial Stout) barrel aged last night, was really good.

Reply #221 Posted: February 22, 2011, 09:35:25 am

Offline Vaelo

• Just settled in
Had a few lastnight, started out with:
Townshend Cathcarts NTA on the handpull (amazing beer)
Coronado Orange Ave Wit
Renaissance Perfection Pale ale (was perfect)
Yeastie Boys PKB (new batch is awesome)
Greenflash Barley wine
Rogue XS Imperial porter (still good despite it being from 2008 as big beer like these age well)
Pink Elephant Pinks Peculiar (sour old ale)
8 Wired Big Smoke

Reply #222 Posted: March 12, 2011, 10:17:27 am

Offline Blob_ZPS

• Devoted Member
I'm keen to try the 8wired underwired while you still have it.
Also I think i saw you at uni yesterday.

Reply #223 Posted: March 17, 2011, 08:45:31 pm

Offline Vaelo

• Just settled in
Had a Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Bourbon and a  Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel Highland tonight OMFG amazing.

Reply #224 Posted: April 01, 2011, 11:21:26 pm