Topic: Whisky/Whiskey

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
So I noticed this place does not have a thread dedicated to whisky.

Let's change that.

All things from tasting notes, single malts and 'to water or not to water' should be discussed.

Good purchasing spots in NZ:
http://www.whiskygalore.co.nz
http://www.whiskyandmore.co.nz

Posted: January 17, 2013, 02:53:36 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
  • Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!Xenolightning is awe-inspiring!
http://www.whiskygalore.co.nz/collections/independant-bottlers/products/glenlivet-signatory-1996-15-years-old-46-ucf

Just ordered one of those. Looks like a pretty solid dram, will update with tasting notes.

Also; there must be some whisky buffs here!

Reply #1 Posted: January 17, 2013, 04:39:30 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline DarkVirus

• Administrator
  • DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!DarkVirus is awe-inspiring!
Ive been a fan of the fiddich for some time.

Usually have a bottle of the 12yr in the cupboard just waiting to pounce.

Tried the 15yr but it was too spicy, tasted like cloves.

Might step up to the 18yr this year for a birthday pressie to myself.

Reply #2 Posted: January 17, 2013, 06:31:49 pm
Praise be to RNGesus
Add me to Steam

Offline mycoolcar

• Addicted
  • mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...mycoolcar might someday be someone...
inb4 CC.

Reply #3 Posted: January 17, 2013, 06:52:02 pm

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
My favourite, not that I drink much these days.  My 18yr old bottle is now 21...

Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:02:21 pm by BeNZene

Reply #4 Posted: January 17, 2013, 07:00:07 pm

Offline Growler

• Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!Growler is awe-inspiring!

Reply #5 Posted: January 17, 2013, 07:10:29 pm
Think of me like Yoda,
but instead of being little and green,
I wear suits and I'm awesome.
I'm your bro - I'm Broda!

Offline Pitchey

• Addicted
  • Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!Pitchey has great potential!

hur hur hur

Reply #6 Posted: January 17, 2013, 07:22:48 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
Quote from: BeNZene;1515125
My favourite, not that I drink much these days.  My 18yr old bottle is now 21...

-LAPHROAIG 18-

Holy peat smoke :P I love all Laphroaigs, for my tastes I like a tad of water it seems to bring out the sweeter side of the Laphroaigs. I have the Quarter Cask and she's brilliant too.

Quote from: Growler;1515128
and had a bit of this recently too, very very nice.
-MACALLAN FINE OAK 12-
http://www.whiskygalore.co.nz/collections/g-p/products/macallan-fine-oak-12-year-old

I just finished its younger brother Fine Oak 10, very light and smooth with sweet fruity notes; incredibly tasty. The 12 year old I can only imagine does it just that bit better. It is definitely one of my next purchases, and the fine oaks should be a staple in everyone's cupboard.
Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:48:55 pm by Xenolightning

Reply #7 Posted: January 17, 2013, 08:44:11 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline BeNZene

• Forum Admin
  • BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...BeNZene might someday be someone...
Quote from: Xenolightning;1515142
Holy peat smoke :P I love all Laphroaigs, for my tastes I like a tad of water it seems to bring out the sweeter side of the Laphroaigs. I have the Quarter Cask and she's brilliant too.

Is that their dearer one?  I think I had that at a whisky bar at the end of a night out with an old friend. Lovely lovely stuff.

Also a fan of Lagavulin.  As much as you can be a fan of something you only get to drink every few years.

Reply #8 Posted: January 17, 2013, 11:36:16 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
Quote from: BeNZene;1515158
Is that their dearer one?  I think I had that at a whisky bar at the end of a night out with an old friend. Lovely lovely stuff.

Also a fan of Lagavulin.  As much as you can be a fan of something you only get to drink every few years.
Not quite as expensive as the 18. It's a non age statement which means it's usually quite young, rumour puts it at about 5-7 years. It's quite an interesting blend of flavours, with that heavy Laphroaig twang. Great after dinner, but definitely not a starting whisky.

Reply #9 Posted: January 18, 2013, 09:21:04 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline winter

• Addicted
  • winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!winter has great potential!

Reply #10 Posted: January 18, 2013, 09:26:38 am

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
Quote from: winter;1515183
-WHISKAS-
Tasting Notes:
Dark amber colour, pours well, starts out quite dry and finishes with a distinctive crunch. Best followed with some water to cleanse the pallet.

Reply #11 Posted: January 18, 2013, 09:40:25 am
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
  • trololololo barely matters.trololololo barely matters.
I'm going to order one of these shortly, haven't tried it and all the the reviews that I've read are positive

http://www.whiskygalore.co.nz/collections/islay/products/bunnahabhain-18-year-old-new-edition

Reply #12 Posted: January 18, 2013, 10:27:02 am

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
Quote from: winter;1515183

You will get Codex in here with that sort of comment and he is a Rum drinker

Reply #13 Posted: January 18, 2013, 10:32:10 am

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.

have a bottle waiting for a suitable occasion

Reply #14 Posted: January 18, 2013, 03:41:18 pm

Offline Bounty Hunter

• Addicted
  • Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!Bounty Hunter is awe-inspiring!
What about a mixes thread too? I'm not a huge whiskey fan, but do drink a rum mixture I wouldn't mind sharing.

Reply #15 Posted: January 18, 2013, 04:27:27 pm
"We are the majority we arent the tards, the people we pick on are." -Luse_K

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
Quote from: Bounty Hunter;1515218
What about a mixes thread too? I'm not a huge whiskey fan, but do drink a rum mixture I wouldn't mind sharing.

The 'Fav Aloholic Beverage' thread maybe? I'm big on rum as a mixer, can't stand Coruba though. Big fan of Bourbon and dry too.

Quote from: Xenolightning;1515094
http://www.whiskygalore.co.nz/collections/independant-bottlers/products/glenlivet-signatory-1996-15-years-old-46-ucf

NOM, she's a beaut. Mild sherry with dates nose, very sweet smooth finish with the dates making an appearance at the back of the tongue.

Superb whiskey for it's price, I think I will be buying another to store away.

/Chub

Reply #16 Posted: January 18, 2013, 07:04:34 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
just ordered a bottle if this
http://www.whiskygalore.co.nz/collections/islay/products/lagavulin-16-year-old
it's a quite nice expression

Reply #17 Posted: March 04, 2013, 06:27:31 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
Quote from: trololololo;1519743
just ordered a bottle if this
http://www.whiskygalore.co.nz/collections/islay/products/lagavulin-16-year-old
it's a quite nice expression

So did I! it's a very nice drop, quite a heavy pete smoke, but its has just enough sweetness so that its not over-powering.

From: http://www.whiskyandmore.co.nz/single-malt-whisky-for-sale/buy-lagavulin-16-year-old-islay-single-malt-online/

Came on special today.

Few more recent additions to the cabinet too:
http://www.whiskyandmore.co.nz/single-malt-whisky-for-sale/buy-the-macallan-fine-oak-10-year-old-highland-single-malt-online/
http://www.whiskygalore.co.nz/collections/blended-whiskies/products/chivas-regal-18-year-old

Big fan of the macallan; exceptionally good if you can get it sub $60.

Reply #18 Posted: March 04, 2013, 07:32:24 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline trololololo

• Just settled in
thats where i got it from

Reply #19 Posted: March 04, 2013, 08:25:35 pm

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer

Reply #20 Posted: March 04, 2013, 09:18:19 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Pyromanik

• Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!Pyromanik is awe-inspiring!
Whisky Galore is down the road, and close to work.
Pity it's an aquired taste :/

Laphroaig. Good man.

Reply #21 Posted: March 04, 2013, 09:53:35 pm
Everyone needs more Bruce Campbell.

Offline Xenolightning

• GS Developer
Yeh boi.

If you can name the back right one, you get one internetz.

Reply #22 Posted: March 04, 2013, 09:58:53 pm
-= Sad pug is sad =-

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
I need to build up a collection, mebe after my melbourne trip

Reply #23 Posted: March 05, 2013, 01:26:08 am
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity

Offline Speakman

• Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!Speakman is awe-inspiring!
I need to build up a collection, mebe after my melbourne trip

Reply #24 Posted: March 05, 2013, 01:25:51 am
Quote from: Mellcor
i had kinda hope speakman had died, what a pity