Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Offline BerG

• Terminator

• BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.BerG is on the verge of being accepted.
This was just ok for me.

Spoiler :
I mean technically it was a good movie, just seemed to be missing something.

Had lots of Prometheus-ish things that pissed me off. What both movies lack is a whole lot of realism in the procedures area. ie, Prometheus, multi-trillion dollar expedition and they crew it with a bunch of useless fuckwits who hate each other.

In Star Trek, enter warp speed AS SOON AS THEY UNDOCK FROM THE SPACE STATION. I mean for fuck sake. How about:

a) Radio calls to the space station confirming cleared course and cleared for takeoff
b) Maintain some kind of sensible speed until engine is warmed up, systems are checked and you are a safe distance from the space station unless, you know, the FUCKING SHIP EXPLODES WHEN YOU HIT WARP DRIVE?
c) Radio call to space station confirming no inbound traffic and cleared to enter warp speed

This sort of shit really ruins the immersion for me and pulls me right out of the movie. You would never enter warp speed immediately after undocking the station. FUCK.

Why does the SHIP CAPTAIN ALWAYS GO DOWN ON THE HIGHLY DANGEROUS FOOT MISSIONS. WHY DOESN'T HE SEND A SQUAD OF MARINES. HES THE FUCKING CAPTAIN.

Why does Spock go into the volcano to detonate the cold fusion bomb? SEND A FUCKING PROBE, WE ALREADY HAVE THEM IN 2013. GOING INTO A VOLCANO IS ALWAYS, ALWAYS GOING TO BE INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS.

HOW DOES ENTERPRISE SUDDENLY GET INTO EARTH GRAVITY, LAST YOU TOLD US WE WERE 230,000 MILES AWAY WITH NO ENGINES.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Posted: May 09, 2013, 10:42:26 pm

Offline PrinceTuiTeka

• Just settled in
  • PrinceTuiTeka has no influence.
Simple explanation for the star trek flaws: JJ Abrams. When it comes to directors for movies it definitely should be horses for courses, and JJ is not the thoroughbred for this particular steeplechase.

Reply #1 Posted: May 10, 2013, 04:04:39 pm

Offline deanox

• Just settled in
  • deanox has no influence.
Never liked Star trek!

and what?

Reply #2 Posted: May 10, 2013, 05:41:56 pm

Offline kookynic

• Cooking by the Book

• kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...kookynic might someday be someone...
Spock is meant to die, not Kirk. Movie is wrong.

Very pretty though

Reply #3 Posted: May 21, 2013, 10:33:26 am

Offline Kopfjaeger

• Addicted
  • Kopfjaeger has no influence.
Quite enjoyed it, got a kick from the tribble reincarnation

Reply #4 Posted: May 21, 2013, 03:14:11 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
The Captain always goes down on away missions.

How else is Captain Kirk to meet the sexy alien ladies?

Reply #5 Posted: May 25, 2013, 06:36:05 pm

Offline Xsannz

• Addicted
  • Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!Xsannz is awe-inspiring!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/8714581/Star-Trek-fantasy-meets-engineering-reality

interestign article...  engine room of enterprise exists .... IRL.. sorta...

Reply #6 Posted: May 26, 2013, 09:31:47 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
a) Radio calls to the space station confirming cleared course and cleared for takeoff
b) Maintain some kind of sensible speed until engine is warmed up, systems are checked and you are a safe distance from the space station unless, you know, the FUCKING SHIP EXPLODES WHEN YOU HIT WARP DRIVE?
c) Radio call to space station confirming no inbound traffic and cleared to enter warp speed

What makes you think they didn't do all that?

They're always got people pushing button on the console, I guess any space traffic control is communicated with a central computer, thus it would be done using the console, not spoken vocally.

Reply #7 Posted: January 20, 2014, 10:50:23 am

Offline Arseynimz

• Administrator
  • Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!Arseynimz is awe-inspiring!
I thought it was awesome. But I watched from a cinematography perspective more than the story or intricacies.

Reply #8 Posted: January 20, 2014, 04:03:15 pm
Maybe if i just click this.....shit...DV gonna be maaaaad!