Topic: cool stuff for bf2

Offline Gunnarnz

• Just settled in
  • Gunnarnz has no influence.
Here's the deal - write in here what cool stuff you'd like to see in BF2. Things it should have, but doesn't. Not bug fixes so much, but more gameplay stuff. Maybe we can send it to EA and they'll notice... hey, dreams are free, right? Here's my list to get it started:

* The ability to choose from a range of weapons for each class. For example, the AT class might have to choose between a guided AT rocket as at present with 3 rounds for it, or an RPG-like thing but with 6 rounds. The support class could have a machinegun, a man portable SAM (like the ones you find at the moment), a clip-fed grenade launcher, or a light mortar. Or a flamethrower  :D The assault class can choose between long-range, high damage, accurate weapons (think SLR); short range spray-and-pray weapons (think an SMG); or something in between (M16 or AK-74).
* AA missiles that are a threat to aircraft. Maybe its just me, but they seem to miss 8 times out of 10 and don't do a great deal of damage when they do hit. The fixed missiles should be a real threat, worth destroying or sending specops in to blow up, rather than a vague irritation to pilots.
* Radar guided missiles for the gunner in an F-15, Su-30 or Su-34 to use. Give them 2 or 4 of these, and drop the number of LGMs by half. Say when they get in they're in radar AA missile mode, right-clicking brings up the LGM screen as at present. These missiles should be BVR (beyond visual range) capable, and do respectable damage, but be difficult to use. Since the game is tracking the aircraft even when they're not in your field of vision, let the gunner look around - if he is looking towards an aircraft, the lock-on process starts. If he can keep the cursor in his sight box for a few seconds he gets a lock and can let fly. This would make the gunner an asset in air-to-air combat, rather than baggage, and make the bombers slightly less naff in the process.
* Laser target designators for the specops class, allowing them to paint a target for the LGMs from the bombers.
* AA guns. Something like a twin or quad MG mount with a 360 field of fire. Something like a ZPU-4 for those of you who know WTF I'm on about. The Chinese in particular use a lot of AA guns, every battalion in the Chinese army has a company of towed 25mm autocannon attached to it (very similar to a ZU-23-2). These things would be great against choppers, and might even give aircraft a few worries too. If you gave them a clip size of say 50 rds and made them immobile they would go some way to balancing out the blackhawk whoring without being unbalanced themselves. Maybe they don't have unlimited ammo, and a support class has to rearm them?
* Give engineers the ability to not just repair stuff, but actually build things too. Like SAM or ATGM sites, sandbag walls, MG mountings, AT obstacles, bunkers, and so on. You could run it by right-clicking with the spanner selected brining up a build menu - all of these things would have to have a cost in materials and an engy would only be able to carry so much, meaning he'd need a supply crate to let him keep building. Perhaps he can only build certain structures to begin with, then he add on to them when he has more materials - it might go like this (-> = upgrades too): Sandbag wall -> wall with MG -> SAM site or ATGM site -> bunker -> bunker with MG -> bunker with ATGM or SAM.
* Give the machine-gunner in a tank something to do while crouched down or with his second mouse button. I don't know, maybe reload the smoke dischargers? Hey, that would actually be useful... or let him put frag grenades in them instead of smoke!
* Some variety between the nations. Again, maybe its just me, but it all seems very samey - an M1A2 is a T-90 is a Type-98, and they're all the bloody same! Here's some ideas for each nation:
USA: A-6 attack bomber (no guns or AA missiles, slow and hard to manoever - but with assloads of bombs and missiles), drop the F-15 (US Marines don't use them), take the ATGMs off the LAVs (it doesn't actually have them), put AA missiles on the AH-1's wingtip pylons (use the pilots right mouse button for these), put TOWs or automatic grenade launchers on some Humvees, make the M1A2 fantastic against tanks and with no splash damage (APFSDSDU rounds don't explode, and M1s carry very few HE rounds).
MEC: BMP-3 (light tank gun, autocannon, ATGMs, machineguns - might need 2 crew!) or BMP-2 (autocannon and ATGMs) APCs, take the ATGMs off the BTR-90s and replace with a heavy MG, give the Mi-28 more unguided rockets and TVMs (the in-game model has them...), give the T-90 gun-launched ATGMs and fewer rounds carried.
China: Replace fixed SAM sites with 25mm AA guns, take ATGMs off the WZ-551 (it doesn't actually have them...) and replace with a MG, add the Type-90 APC (a BTR-90 with a MG instead of the autocannon and ATGMs), add the Type-59D tank (slow, weak armour, poor gun damage, no missile countermeasures, but LOTS of them - perhaps it respawns very quickly?).

Thoughts or additions?

Gunnar out.

Posted: August 12, 2005, 05:06:45 pm

Offline Garra

• Addicted
  • Garra has no influence.
I would think you probably have it covered there mate  :)

Reply #1 Posted: August 12, 2005, 05:11:34 pm

Offline QUPHOZ

• Addicted
  • QUPHOZ has no influence.
Beable to kill team mates  :D

Reply #2 Posted: August 12, 2005, 06:03:36 pm
R.I.P Dirty Heathan

Affliction For life

Offline PT_109

• Just settled in
  • PT_109 has no influence.
The one about building things with the engi... hmm its good but bunkers are a bit extreme i think sand bags yes, Hedgehogs yes, and maybe a few other things, but buildings or any sort of combat implacement i think is not such a good idea IMHO. There maybe a few other things but along the lines of walls and such ( cant think of any at the mo ) but you would also have to limit points for it. Also Materials  ithnk gaining rank would be better the higher rank the better the build object and limit 1 per life and a stand down period ( for those that dont die  :anger:  )before being able to be rearmed or build spam would pop up  :D

Reply #3 Posted: August 12, 2005, 06:22:34 pm
Talk Like a Pirate

\'It\'s nice to be important but it\'s more important to be nice.\' - Scooter

Offline PT_109

• Just settled in
  • PT_109 has no influence.
]The one about building things with the engi... hmm its good but bunkers are a bit extreme i think sand bags yes, Hedgehogs yes, and maybe a few other things, but buildings or any sort of combat implacement i think is not such a good idea IMHO. There maybe a few other things but along the lines of walls and such ( cant think of any at the mo ) but you would also have to limit points for it. Also Materials  ithnk gaining rank would be better the higher rank the better the build object and limit 1 per life and a stand down period ( for those that dont die  :anger:  )before being able to be rearmed or build spam would pop up  :D

Otherwise all good ideas :D

Reply #4 Posted: August 12, 2005, 06:23:05 pm
Talk Like a Pirate

\'It\'s nice to be important but it\'s more important to be nice.\' - Scooter

Offline Hightimes

• Just settled in
  • Hightimes has no influence.
The Spec ops being able to laser designate a target sounds idea is awesome. I'm suprised it hasnt been mentioned earlier.

Reply #5 Posted: August 12, 2005, 06:40:49 pm

Offline Gunnarnz

• Just settled in
How many times, when in a tank, have you missed with a main gun round either high or low?
I suggest...
...a laser rangefinder for the driver. Press the button (Ctrl, or something) and the range to whatever's under the crosshair is displayed briefly. Couple this with gradations on the vertical bar of the sight, say each one is 100m or something, and you have a new thing that is cool, realistic, and USEFUL.

On the subject of specops laser designating, why not for ATGMs as well?

Reply #6 Posted: September 01, 2005, 06:33:30 pm

Offline QUPHOZ

• Addicted
  • QUPHOZ has no influence.
u have to much time on your hands to think this shit up aye gunner lol.

Reply #7 Posted: September 01, 2005, 06:54:13 pm
R.I.P Dirty Heathan

Affliction For life

Offline Gunnarnz

• Just settled in
Sigh... I was wondering how long it would last before YOU stuck your oar in.
I've got too much time on my hands? What about you? You're the one talking about playing BF2 for 4000 hours!

Reply #8 Posted: September 01, 2005, 07:19:02 pm

Offline discoducknz

• Just settled in
  • discoducknz has no influence.
they are good-would be nice to be able to take a plane down from the ground,also apc's are way underpowered-give me a bradly anyday,upgrades should be more powerful.they need bigger maps. just my thoughts :sunnies:

Reply #9 Posted: September 04, 2005, 04:11:27 pm

Offline Fubar

• Devoted Member
  • Fubar has no influence.
Quote from: Hightimes
The Spec ops being able to laser designate a target sounds idea is awesome. I'm suprised it hasnt been mentioned earlier.

Another thing promised by EA, but failed to deliver on

Reply #10 Posted: September 04, 2005, 10:25:02 pm

Offline Gunnarnz

• Just settled in
Quote from: Fubar
Another thing promised by EA, but failed to deliver on

I wonder how long THAT list would be...  :(

Reply #11 Posted: September 04, 2005, 11:28:39 pm

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
Very,VERY long.

Reply #12 Posted: January 27, 2013, 12:03:14 pm

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
Quote from: Gunnarnz;37440
Here's the deal - write in here what cool stuff you'd like to see in BF2. Things it should have, but doesn't. Not bug fixes so much, but more gameplay stuff. Maybe we can send it to EA and they'll notice

As a developer, what make me laugh is how people just think up ideas, and want to just send them to big game developers like EA.

I'm pretty sure EA have lots of idea thinking guys. But games costs lots of money and take lots of time, and what seams like a simple idea can end up being very complicated.

Reply #13 Posted: January 27, 2013, 01:45:47 pm

Offline [∞]MadMike

• Addicted
  • [∞]MadMike has no influence.
Quote from: Nostargate;1516119
Very,VERY long.

Oh WOW Nos, you must be super bored :D I never realized how broken the bash EA thing and there fail to deliver went. Guess its always been the same its just the people that have changed.

Reply #14 Posted: January 28, 2013, 07:23:58 am

Offline Nostargate

• Addicted
  • Nostargate barely matters.Nostargate barely matters.
I havent chnaged mike, I'm always behind you with a knife.

Reply #15 Posted: January 28, 2013, 09:01:32 am

Offline Apostrophe Spacemonkey

• Fuck this title in particular.

• Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!Apostrophe Spacemonkey is awe-inspiring!
BF2 was the coolest.

EA did good job.

Reply #16 Posted: January 29, 2013, 09:49:18 am