Topic: The Official Formula 1 thread

Offline cardossius

• Just settled in
  • cardossius has no influence.
hmmmmmmmm another start of the season race. nothing seems concrete as of yet.

stoked of course that kimi won but still annoyed deep down that massacontinues his normal expectations. Urrrrrhhhhhhhhhhh.

ferrari have everything they need to win the championship on merit and not in court this season. fingers crossed.

they can be as quick as they have been this weekend, but i will still cross my fingers right up until 3 hours after the race. Pending disqualification.

onto the next race

Reply #100 Posted: March 24, 2008, 01:38:19 am

Offline Shasta

• Devoted Member
  • Shasta has no influence.
Quote from: TofuEater;680864
It must be you dood - my coverage was fine. In fact, when Coulthard's radio didn't come through the commentators even repeated it for us. Get Sky rather than that dodgy russian internet link that you're tuned in on. :rasb:

Not only do I have sky digital, I have it hooked up to my PC as well. I have the whole sloppy mess recorded to HDD. In fact, I have every race for the last few years, in their entirety. They DEFINITELY fucked it up. Sometimes you could hear cars going around, and more often as the field spread out, but until lap 31, when we were onboard with Jarno Trulli I can assure you that there was no correct audio feed from the trackside cameras, car cameras, or pit radio. That was the EXACT moment that those dickheads in the ITV tech dept finally worked out their fuck-up and resolved it. Lap fucking 31. I can even upload that bit so you can see what I mean if need be.

They have different feeds for different countries, so the European coverage was probably fine. I don't know WHY they have different feeds / channels for different countries, except perhaps for sorting out different ad breaks.

Reply #101 Posted: March 24, 2008, 01:40:22 am
I\'ll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter.

Offline Baffled

• Addicted
  • Baffled has no influence.
Quote from: Shasta;680928
Not only do I have sky digital, I have it hooked up to my PC as well. I have the whole sloppy mess recorded to HDD. In fact, I have every race for the last few years, in their entirety. They DEFINITELY fucked it up. Sometimes you could hear cars going around, and more often as the field spread out, but until lap 31, when we were onboard with Jarno Trulli I can assure you that there was no correct audio feed from the trackside cameras, car cameras, or pit radio. That was the EXACT moment that those dickheads in the ITV tech dept finally worked out their fuck-up and resolved it. Lap fucking 31. I can even upload that bit so you can see what I mean if need be.

They have different feeds for different countries, so the European coverage was probably fine. I don't know WHY they have different feeds / channels for different countries, except perhaps for sorting out different ad breaks.

You know we dont get the full coverage here in NZ eh? (would be nice to have the back catalogue of races though.

The proper ITV coverage has alot more pre race stuff and more stuff after as well...

Hopefully we get better coverage when BBC takes over... thats why i said it should be good...

Ferrari were damn quick today, but it could be the track as they said... it will probably swing back and forth like last year...

Plus it was great to see BMW on the pace and Trulli driving his ass off in the Toyota :D

Reply #102 Posted: March 24, 2008, 01:48:32 am

Offline Shasta

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Baffled;680930
You know we dont get the full coverage here in NZ eh? (would be nice to have the back catalogue of races though.

The proper ITV coverage has alot more pre race stuff and more stuff after as well...

Hopefully we get better coverage when BBC takes over... thats why i said it should be good...

Yep, I know they have their own pre/post race stuff, that's why I said I have each RACE in their entirety, not each ITV broadcast. The race is what counts, start to finish with no missing bits (except of course for the four 15 second ad breaks). I think all this mixing their own stuff, then sending a different start and finish broadcast to everyone else is where all the problems start.

Shit, I forgot another real annoying screw-up they do alot - the one where they have someone being interviewed after the race, then they switch to the press conference with the 3 podium winners - but still have the audio from the person being interviewed playing OVER TOP of the press conference. Hell, they even did it in the Melbourne GP last week. Absolute morons.

And yeah, I agree that BBC having it again could be good, hopefully there are some poms that know what they're doing in the tech dept. I hope they manage to get Martin Brundle too, and I guess James Allen if they can't find anyone better. Being an ex driver, Martin knows his stuff, and is a great commentator.

Reply #103 Posted: March 24, 2008, 02:12:57 am

Offline Quasikomodo

• Just settled in
  • Quasikomodo has no influence.
Felipe Massa, Ferrari (DNF):
"On lap 31, I clipped the kerb at the exit to Turn 6 and hit it quite hard and then I lost the rear end going into the next corner. We have to check to see if the impact with the kerb damaged the car. It's a real shame because we could have brought home a one-two finish."

Thats his story, I personally think he just fucked up because he couldn't keep up with Kimi!!

And Tofu I prefer to judge a driver on each race. He was taken out in Melbourne, he fucked up at Sepang!!

Winner!!!!

Reply #104 Posted: March 24, 2008, 12:23:39 pm
a cpu, a motherboard, some ram, a gfx card, an optical drive (or 2), a hdd (or 4) and a psu... all in an aluminium case (oops, actually changed to a steel case now!!)

Offline Shasta

• Devoted Member
Yep, as Brundle wonderfully put it: It was either brain-fade or being too near his limits - it definitely seemed to be a case of ambition outweighing adhesion. He booted it too early without traction control to babysit him.

Reply #105 Posted: March 24, 2008, 01:35:23 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: Quasikomodo;681070
Felipe Massa, Ferrari (DNF):
"On lap 31, I clipped the kerb at the exit to Turn 6 and hit it quite hard and then I lost the rear end going into the next corner. We have to check to see if the impact with the kerb damaged the car. It's a real shame because we could have brought home a one-two finish."

Thats his story, I personally think he just fucked up because he couldn't keep up with Kimi!!

And Tofu I prefer to judge a driver on each race. He was taken out in Melbourne, he fucked up at Sepang!!

Winner!!!!

Yea actually as soon as I saw it happened it reminded me of me in the ICONZ 100, if the going got tough, I started being fairly careless and usually crashed out.

so in other words, he rage quit.

Reply #106 Posted: March 24, 2008, 06:05:40 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Quote from: Shasta;680824
Well, another typically shit bit of coverage from ITV / Sky. It ALWAYS seems to be either:

stretched screen, as if widescreen has been stretched to fullscreen,

car/track sounds, but no commentary (like the first half of quali this week,

commentary but no car/track sounds (like the first half of the whole damn race this week - cars could be heard faintly through the commentary speakers, and were louder as they went past the commentary box)

no sound when someone (Ted/Louise) interviews someone, or pit radio, all we hear is the commentators agreeing / whatever with silence.

Yes, these usually get resolved - but it's taking them longer and longer to sort it out. The worst I have seen is 12 laps with no commentary, but now we have a new record with half the fucking race with no car sounds (except for whatever trickled through the commentary window and down the microphones. Half a race to sort it.

This sort of shit TV coverage is pathetic. I'm assuming it's not Sky's fault, and they just broadcast the signal that ITV give them. I just wish those stupid poms would get their crap together and do something right for once. Even the inbred NASCAR goons can muster up a decent broadcast.

Quote from: TofuEater;680864
It must be you dood - my coverage was fine. In fact, when Coulthard's radio didn't come through the commentators even repeated it for us. Get Sky rather than that dodgy russian internet link that you're tuned in on. :rasb:

Yea mine was fine, although it was delayed coverage (started at 11 pm) so they may have fixed it up for us awesome Aussies.

Reply #107 Posted: March 24, 2008, 06:07:55 pm

Offline Baffled

• Addicted
I watched it on Sky1 (through telstra cable) and it was perfectly fine. Last weeks race was a bit screwed though with no commentary for half of the qualifying.

Reply #108 Posted: March 24, 2008, 06:18:49 pm

Offline Shasta

• Devoted Member
Look guys. You seem to be trying to imply that there was a problem on my end. This is impossible. It is broadcast to me in stereo at best. I do not have separate streams available to "accidentally" leave on/off. I cannot separate the commentary stream/channel from the trackside audio stream/channel. That can only be done BEFORE they are mushed together for broadcast. I have undenyable proof that for 31 laps, the only audio was from the commentary box - and this included the sound of the cars that penetrated the commentary box window and was picked up by the commentary mics.

I submit to you in all seriousness that if you were watching the live broadcast on NZ sky digital and DIDN'T notice any problem, that you either REALLY don't pay attention to what you watch, or you're too stupid to realize when the sound you are hearing has nothing to do with the sound you are watching. Did it not occur to you that all the onboard video had absolutely no onboard sound at all? That as the cars went by the trackside cameras, there was no "zzzZZZZOOOOOoooommm" - unless there was a faded sounding zoom from a car that happened to be passing the commentary box at the same time.

I know exactly what I'm talking about - I do a LOT of video / audio stuff, including some TV work - and I find it amusing, if not disheartening, that many of you think there was no problem. I think I'll upload the proof, highlighting the problems, to youtube and call it "More major ITV screwups - ICONZ members too dopey to notice?".

Come on guys. You should know by now that I never say something unless I'm 100% sure of it. Arguing with me on this one is pointless.

Reply #109 Posted: March 24, 2008, 07:45:04 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Quasikomodo;681070

C'mon dood, you know he's not going to finish fuck all races this season. As long as someone's putting the pressure on (which no-one managed to Raikonnen yesterday) they're both an accident waiting to happen. :heheh:

Reply #110 Posted: March 24, 2008, 08:16:39 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Shasta

• Devoted Member
Quote from: TofuEater;681318
C'mon dood, you know he's not going to finish fuck all races this season. As long as someone's putting the pressure on (which no-one managed to Raikonnen yesterday) they're both an accident waiting to happen. :heheh:

C'mon dude, you know you shouldn't put Massa in the same league as Raikkonen. Massa is an A grade screw-up. Raikkonen can drive the nuts off a car (literally, as his time with McLarens fragile cars showed). It's a little disappointing that he seems to need a bit of an adjustment period without traction control, but in no way does that detract from his undeniable skills as a driver.

Reply #111 Posted: March 24, 2008, 08:27:05 pm

Offline cardossius

• Just settled in
Originally Posted by John Ansell
'People think if you throw money at people, you're caring for them. It's not only incorrect, it's immoral ... '

lol words of the poor.

i agree massa is a great driver, you do not become a ferrari driver for no reason. and if being paid to accompany the obvious lead driver is a way to get a seat, then so be it.

irvine and barrichello and massa all did (or do) great jobs as not taking away anyhting from the number one driver.

Now.......................

Lewis and Heivi, I say hamilton, but heivi was not a slow bastard last year, not at all.

Stoked to see trulli the bmws and williams gunning it. Awesome.

Lets hope the 2nd group of cars can throw some spanners at the ferraris and the mclarens this year.

The speed of the others has creeped up considerably and hopefully its not because the top two teams arent as fast as they seem to be.

Fingers crossed.

PS: my coverage is awesome, i just watch the timing screen for an hour and a bit, it gives you the facts, not the entertainment (then i download the race).

Reply #112 Posted: March 24, 2008, 10:20:17 pm

Offline cardossius

• Just settled in
Quote from: Xt1ncT;680759
+1

Been trying to get them to talk about F1, but to no avail.

Seems they are more interested in flaming and trolliing than the racing.

Shame no admins see fit to do the decent thing.

Only an hour and a half to the race - looking forward to it, Sean is a great track - hard on tyres and brakes as well.

Ahahahahahahahaha

Still going, alrighty.

Bahrain looking interesting, will it be the race that everything settles into the norm. Lets hope so. Never liked circus f1. Prefer to actually see the cars all on track at the same time in there right positions.

Could be the most boring race ever, but it would be the most technically correct race. It makes all the paper work and analysing they do more understanderble. In the sense that they dont have to use numbers to explain it to us, just watch the trakc instead.

Never will happen though.

And another note:

Who here is more interested in the technical side of things over the actual racing. I prep with hours of behind the scenes research, and watch the races to see the colorful cars.

guess its my old indy car self coming through. Imagine 20 odd cars all doing laps within a second of eachother, not thats hearty.

Reply #113 Posted: March 25, 2008, 07:32:41 pm

Offline TofuEater

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/4/story.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10500286

Motorsport: Alonso linked with Ferrari move for 2009

Fernando Alonso is hinting that he has the option to drive for Ferrari next season.

Only two races into the 2008 Formula One season, rumours are connecting Fernando Alonso to a drive with Ferrari in 2009.

Hilarious - and i hope Ferrari take him. Because that would prove that there isn't a brain-cell to rub together in their "brains trust".

Why would you possibly put Alonso in the second seat (surely he's not going to play second fiddle to Raikonnen) when his track record shows that he's a fatuous prima-donna who would spit the dummy when he doesn't get things his own way?

Though Massa isn't much of a driver, he's more of a team player than Alonso - who is probably only now beginning to understand the ramifications of stabbing his team in the back. Though it appears not, because i can't see Briatore taking him back a third time when he finds out that no-one bothers putting on sunglasses when he tells them that the light shines out his arse.

Reply #114 Posted: March 26, 2008, 07:42:37 pm
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline cardossius

• Just settled in
Yeah agreed, massa is a good team player.

Alonso in a ferrari...........hmmmmmmmmmmm

I would have been all for it if he didnt look like a sulk last year. Now i just agree that Alonso will cry harder if kimi out does him. Not that im saying kimi is better.

Who wants a driver who changes there mind on a team after one year, especially when you have a car capable of immediate results.

Mind you, Ive seen anger at drivers one year, then they get all the good reputation the next.

Could be Alonso.

Reply #115 Posted: March 26, 2008, 08:15:40 pm

Offline Baffled

• Addicted
It would be great to see Alonso go to Ferarri! (I support McLaren :D)

Wont be much fun for kimi - I would hope Kimi is the better driver though.

Reply #116 Posted: March 26, 2008, 10:28:42 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
I reckon that would be awesome actually, Kimi + Alonso. As long as they both get on with each other which is extremely doubtful.

Reply #117 Posted: March 26, 2008, 10:30:48 pm

Offline Baffled

• Addicted
Coulthard’s Red Bull auctioned online

A lucky enthusiast has bought themselves a slice of Formula One history after snapping up the Red Bull driven by David Coulthard at the 2007 British Grand Prix on website eBay for €210,050. The online auction was held by the team on Sunday night in aid of the Wings for Life charity, a foundation set up to fund research into spinal injuries.

The RB3 went under the hammer with its special ‘Faces for Charity’ livery, which the team ran during last year's Silverstone event. More than 50,000 Formula One fans donated money in exchange for their photographs becoming part of a huge collage which covered the car’s bodywork. The car’s new owner has chosen to remain anonymous.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/3/7564.html

I want Hamilton's car, bit short on cash though :(

Reply #118 Posted: March 28, 2008, 07:05:10 pm

Offline Fragin

• Addicted
  • Fragin barely matters.Fragin barely matters.
I'm coming out of retirement just to let you know that what I always suspected has now been confirmed...

FORMULA One motor racing chief Max Mosley is today exposed as a secret sado-masochist sex pervert.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/3003_nazi_orgy.shtml

"Mosley—the most powerful man in motor-racing—barks orders in German as he WHIPS two hookers dressed in striped uniforms reminiscent of AUSCHWITZ garb while girls in Nazi uniforms look on.

At one point the wrinkled 67-year-old—who publicly likes to give the impression he has put his father's evil legacy behind him—yells "she needs more of ze punishment!" while brandishing a LEATHER STRAP over a brunette's naked bottom.

...Mosley was then bent over and strapped naked to a leather torture bench. The muscular blonde dealt him 15 savage blows. Towards the end Mosley was whimpering and gasped for breath. Reddened and bruised, he then received a further six strokes with a cane. "

Meanwhile...

"Formula One's governing body, the FIA, has kept its distance from sexual allegations in a British tabloid newspaper about its president Max Mosley."

There was also a sense of shock from those involved in F1. Stirling Moss told The Times: "I don't see how he can continue. I hope he can, frankly, because I think he's very good at what he does. I suppose what goes on behind closed doors is his business but when a thing comes out like this . . . it's an absolute shocker."

Not everyone, however, felt Mosley's position as president of the FIA had been compromised.

F1's commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone, who has long been a close ally of Mosley, said he was surprised by the allegations but did not feel it meant Mosley had to quit.

"I've known him an awful long time," he told The Times. "If somebody had told me this without the evidence I would have found it difficult to believe. Assuming it's all true, what people do privately is up to them. "

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66248

That is all.

Reply #119 Posted: April 01, 2008, 01:24:04 am
Originally Posted by Templar
If my mother kills someone, then gets out of jail and kills someone again and she is guilty beyond any doubt, then yes I will be sad but she\'d have to go.

Originally Posted by Xt1ncT
You see, you or Pyro doesn\'t get to choose how I define my own words. I do.

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Lol.. WTF.

EDIT: This better not be an April fools thing. Bit early for the UK to be celebrating April fools.

EDIT2: His father was a friend of Hitlers and he was the leader of the British Union of Fascists

Reply #120 Posted: April 01, 2008, 01:31:09 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!
Just normal British foreplay.

Eh Xtinct?

Reply #121 Posted: April 01, 2008, 06:48:45 am

Offline TofuEater

Meh, who hasn't been to School Dinners? :rnr:

Reply #122 Posted: April 01, 2008, 07:12:08 am

Offline Quasikomodo

• Just settled in
  • Quasikomodo has no influence.
Could we see a Kiwi in the F1 driver ranks soon? And Toro Rosso is showing some pace this year as well!

NZ's Brendon Hartley in secret F1 trial

http://msn.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=66&objectid=10501846

Reply #123 Posted: April 03, 2008, 06:05:26 pm
a cpu, a motherboard, some ram, a gfx card, an optical drive (or 2), a hdd (or 4) and a psu... all in an aluminium case (oops, actually changed to a steel case now!!)

Offline Baffled

• Addicted
Quote from: Quasikomodo;688354
Could we see a Kiwi in the F1 driver ranks soon? And Toro Rosso is showing some pace this year as well!

NZ's Brendon Hartley in secret F1 trial

http://msn.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=66&objectid=10501846

Awesome, just read this. Hope he gets a race this year, that would be sweet.

Reply #124 Posted: April 05, 2008, 07:25:50 pm