Topic: The Official Formula 1 thread

Offline Baffled

• Addicted
  • Baffled has no influence.
Does anyone know if the race is live on sky?

I cant seem to see it, the F1 website says the race starts at 8pm nz time on Sunday, but the sky tv guide says they have a replay of the race... but it starts at 7.30pm on sunday?

I WANT TO WATCH IT LIVE! I JUST PAID FOR SPORTS CHANNEL FOR A FARKING REASON!

Reply #75 Posted: March 21, 2008, 02:41:29 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Well F1.com says the race is on at 5:30 local time.. which is 7:30 local time for you guys.

Reply #76 Posted: March 21, 2008, 02:51:02 pm

Offline Baffled

• Addicted
Quote from: Spork;679845
Well F1.com says the race is on at 5:30 local time.. which is 7:30 local time for you guys.

Sweet, hopefully i get to see it then.

Oh and did you guys read this?

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/3/7516.html

The BBC has won back F1 rights from ITV and will be hosting it from 2009, should be good :)

Reply #77 Posted: March 21, 2008, 03:07:52 pm

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
  • Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.Spork is working their way up.
Bleh, I hope to all hell that Foxtel (Pay TV Aust) sometime very soon gets the rights for the F1, because the fucking race is on at 11 pm here. Srsly wtf.

Reply #78 Posted: March 21, 2008, 03:21:28 pm

Offline TofuEater

• TofuEater barely matters.TofuEater barely matters.
Quote from: Baffled;679838
Does anyone know if the race is live on sky?

http://www.skytv.co.nz/tv-guide.aspx?gid=2&cid=94&&search=epg&pid=2368594&date=2008-03-22+22-05-00
Looks like it starts about 7:55pm.

Quote from: Baffled;679854
The BBC has won back F1 rights from ITV and will be hosting it from 2009, should be good :)

Bring back Murray Walker! :rnr:

Reply #79 Posted: March 21, 2008, 03:34:16 pm
Quote from: Fran O\'Sullivan
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Shasta

• Devoted Member
  • Shasta has no influence.
Quote from: Baffled;679854
Sweet, hopefully i get to see it then.

Oh and did you guys read this?

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/3/7516.html

Hopefully someone other than sky buys the rights here in NZ - seeing as we get the current ITV coverage now, I'm guessing that we buy it from them, rather than going straight through Bernie Ecclstone, and a new contract etc would need to be made with new rights holders BBC, which might open it back up to TVNZ or TV3 having a go at getting it.

Reply #80 Posted: March 21, 2008, 04:28:17 pm
I\'ll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter.

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
  • Xt1ncT has no influence.
I can't believe that the FIA are still on a crusade agaisnt McLaren. When you watch the replay of the end of Q it was clear that they weren't the only drivers going very slowly around the track and the 2 drivers who were held up had to go around more than just the McLaren.

Even more Ferrari bias IMO.

Reply #81 Posted: March 23, 2008, 11:20:32 am

Offline cardossius

• Just settled in
  • cardossius has no influence.
lol, mclaren just took out aus with ease and ferrari lost it big time, and now ferrari get the front row with ease, and your saying FERRARI get all the breaks.

hahahahahaha, still not winning online are we, so gotta take your frustrations out on the real deal. lol.

ps: isnt it you who agrees with such rules as "dont go around the track slow when others are on flying laps".

you really really need a chill pill buddy, wooosa wooosa.

GO FERRARI vs McLaren War.

Reply #82 Posted: March 23, 2008, 11:39:39 am

Offline Zarkov

• Cat

• Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!Zarkov is awe-inspiring!

Reply #83 Posted: March 23, 2008, 12:06:48 pm

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Quote from: cardossius;680552
lol, mclaren just took out aus with ease and ferrari lost it big time, and now ferrari get the front row with ease, and your saying FERRARI get all the breaks.

hahahahahaha, still not winning online are we, so gotta take your frustrations out on the real deal. lol.

ps: isnt it you who agrees with such rules as "dont go around the track slow when others are on flying laps".

you really really need a chill pill buddy, wooosa wooosa.

GO FERRARI vs McLaren War.
How about talking about the qualifying instead of carrying on yours and Shasta's continued vendetta.

It makes you look like an idiot.

Now back to the issue.

If you read my post in full you will see that my opinion - whether you agree or not is irrelevant - is that McLaren were not the only team going slowly when they had finished their flying lap. That being the case why were they the only team to get penalised? Only one reason TBH and that is that the FIA want them as far behind Ferrari as possible. Same as last year with the BS penalties they got, whereas Ferrari had no sanction for having - wait for it - A COMPLETELY ILLEGAL CAR at the beginning of the year.

So yeah, it was a poor show, but by ALL the drivers who clearly slowed far more than they should have and that is what should be looked at, not just the two McLaren drivers.

Reply #84 Posted: March 23, 2008, 01:08:24 pm

Offline cardossius

• Just settled in
  • cardossius has no influence.
temper temper, still got some inner anger i see

f1 has as many rules that you put on your online server

enjoy the race

:violin:

Reply #85 Posted: March 23, 2008, 02:18:43 pm

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Quote from: cardossius;680624
more flaming
talk about the racing instead of flaming.

You'll see that I haven't resorted to flaming. I wonder who's the angry one really? Certainly not me, I just want to enjoy the race and the discussion around it.

If you want to revisit old news I suggest you go do it over at KDSR where some people *MAY* listen.

Reply #86 Posted: March 23, 2008, 02:54:05 pm

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: Zarkov;680556
Poor show McLaren.

Even poorer show by the FIA.

1. Barichello dq'ed to give Raikonnen a point even though the offence warranted a stop and go at best.

2. Nothing done about Raikonnen's dodgy retirement - allowing him to change his engine without a grid penalty.

3. Dropping the Maclarens five places on the grid - even though other teams weren't given a penalty for the same offence.

Why don't they just give Ferrari the title now? The most hollow of victory's is getting hollower by the day.

Reply #87 Posted: March 23, 2008, 03:17:14 pm
The best thing about Finance Minister Bill English\'s latest Budget is that it does finally signal a much greater role for the private sector in the New Zealand economy. And another step along the way to extract this country from the political cul-de-sac in which Helen Clark\'s Labour Government parked us.

Offline Spork

• Game Server Admin
Quote from: cardossius;680624
temper temper, still got some inner anger i see

f1 has as many rules that you put on your online server

enjoy the race

:violin:

STFU and GTFO troll.

Reply #88 Posted: March 23, 2008, 03:17:42 pm

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Quote from: TofuEater;680656
Even poorer show by the FIA.

1. Barichello dq'ed to give Raikonnen a point even though the offence warranted a stop and go at best.

2. Nothing done about Raikonnen's dodgy retirement - allowing him to change his engine without a grid penalty.

3. Dropping the Maclarens five places on the grid - even though other teams weren't given a penalty for the same offence.

Why don't they just give Ferrari the title now? The most hollow of victory's is getting hollower by the day.
Exactly.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can see the inequality of this. I thought that all the drivers were going to be brought in an talked to, and was shocked to read about this on BBC.co.nz this morning.

I just hope the McLarens can get back into it quickly - maybe a couple of safety cars, or some weather to help them.

Reply #89 Posted: March 23, 2008, 03:30:56 pm

Offline Baffled

• Addicted
It sucks that they got dropped 5 places but it does make for a much more interesting race putting the faster cars/drivers back :D

Should be a good watch... just over 3 hours to go...

Reply #90 Posted: March 23, 2008, 04:18:03 pm

Offline Shasta

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Xt1ncT;680582
It makes you look like an idiot.

No, uninformed and unintelligent posts like yours -especially in the party pills thread - makes you look like an idiot.

Quote from: Xt1ncT;680582
If you read my post in full you will see that my opinion - whether you agree or not is irrelevant - is that McLaren were not the only team going slowly when they had finished their flying lap. That being the case why were they the only team to get penalised? Only one reason TBH and that is that the FIA want them as far behind Ferrari as possible. Same as last year with the BS penalties they got, whereas Ferrari had no sanction for having - wait for it - A COMPLETELY ILLEGAL CAR at the beginning of the year.

Firstly, your "full post" didn't even say what you were talking about, but instead you gave your post the title of "fuck the FIA", and just assumed that people knew you were on about the grid penalty given to McLaren in the Malaysian GP 2008.

Secondly, The car was not illegal. I am not a Ferrari fan, so I am not trying to defend "my" team. Ferrari built their floor in a way that was not intended by the FIA - so the FIA "clarified" (changed) the rules to ensure that teams understood you weren't supposed to have your floor like that. Basically, Ferrari found a loophole, and the FIA closed it. It WAS NOT against the rules as they stood in Melbourne, and then the FIA changed the wording of the rules to close the loophole.

It's like if the law only said I could not kill you, so I chopped off your head and said "I didn't kill him, I murdered him" - technically I could not be done for killing you. Then the law wording would need to be changed to something like "you cannot cause someones death on purpose" - and that would close the loophole. I would still be free though, because I didn't break the law as it was written when I murdered you. Why do you think lawyers even exist?

Reply #91 Posted: March 23, 2008, 04:55:35 pm

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Quote from: Shasta;680705

It's like if the law only said I could not kill you, so I chopped off your head and said "I didn't kill him, I murdered him" - technically I could not be done for killing you. Then the law wording would need to be changed to something like "you cannot cause someones death on purpose" - and that would close the loophole. I would still be free though, because I didn't break the law as it was written when I murdered you. Why do you think lawyers even exist?
Well considering this thread is about F1 I'm pretty sure people knew exactly what I was talking about. And I didn't say
'Fuck the FIA"  said Fuck I hate the FIA - how about you go and learn to read, and also get yourslfe a dictionary, so again you won't make yourself look as stupid as your chum.

Shows how much you know about law

Definition of murder = The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

So if you were accused of killing someone and said no I murdered him you'd still be convicted due to the definition of muder being to kill.

Now, at least you argued a point, albeit wrong. But at least you argued. They broke the law, and instead of doing what they would do for any other team they decided to change it. Again we know exactly why - without Ferrari there would be no F1 and Ecclestone and all his cronies would have no income anymore.

Now back to McLaren - I have no issue with them beiing penalised, but they weren't the only ones, so if they should be penalised so should the others.

Reply #92 Posted: March 23, 2008, 05:08:11 pm

Offline Shasta

• Devoted Member
*Sigh. I had a feeling you'd need it explained to you again. Ok, let's do this.

Quote from: Xt1ncT;680712
Well considering this thread is about F1 I'm pretty sure people knew exactly what I was talking about. And I didn't say
'Fuck the FIA"  said Fuck I hate the FIA - how about you go and learn to read, and also get yourslfe a dictionary, so again you won't make yourself look as stupid as your chum.

Yes, this thread is about F1. However, unless someone had heard that McLaren had given a penalty, or even had any idea of how qualifying went yesterday, they wouldn't have had a clue what the hell you were on about.

Shows how much you know about law

Definition of murder = The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.

So if you were accused of killing someone and said no I murdered him you'd still be convicted due to the definition of muder being to kill.

As you're so fond of telling people to learn to read, how about you take some of your own advice: I said "It's like IF the law only said I could not kill you". I was making an "imaginary example" of how wording of rules / laws can create loopholes that can be exploited. I am not a lawyer, and do not claim to be. Did you really think I had come up (or tried to) with a real example of how to actually get away with murder in a real court of law? Are you that stupid?

Now, at least you argued a point, albeit wrong. But at least you argued. They broke the law, and instead of doing what they would do for any other team they decided to change it. Again we know exactly why - without Ferrari there would be no F1 and Ecclestone and all his cronies would have no income anymore.

No, see you're wrong again. I was not wrong. You were. And Ferrari did NOT "break the law" (by the way: in racing, they're called "rules", not "law") - they found and exploited a loophole - PERFECTLY LEGALLY. The FIA did not want teams using floors like that however, and changed the WORDING of the particular rule to close the loophole and NO LONGER allow floors like that.

Using a loophole is NOT illegal - that's why it's called a loophole.

Try to keep up.

Reply #93 Posted: March 23, 2008, 06:15:26 pm

Offline Baffled

• Addicted
Less bitching, more interesting f1 talk thanks.

Reply #94 Posted: March 23, 2008, 06:31:46 pm

Offline Xt1ncT

• Addicted
Quote from: Baffled;680754
+1

Been trying to get them to talk about F1, but to no avail.

Seems they are more interested in flaming and trolliing than the racing.

Shame no admins see fit to do the decent thing.

Only an hour and a half to the race - looking forward to it, Sean is a great track - hard on tyres and brakes as well.

Reply #95 Posted: March 23, 2008, 06:35:01 pm

Offline Shasta

• Devoted Member
Quote from: Baffled;680754
Funnily enough, I HAVE been talking about F1 - even trying to explain why Ferrari weren't penalized for running their "illegal" car in melb last year. It seems the conversation dried up when I showed xtinct why he was so wrong and should shut up when he doesn't know what he's talking about, as he suddenly wants to pretend the discussion never happened, call us all trolls, and he wants to change the subject from F1 to...F1.

Xtinct - it's not trolling when people tell you you're wrong, you disagree, and they prove it to you. Stop saying such stupid things, or at least try to research things and know what you're talking about before you comment on them.

Reply #96 Posted: March 23, 2008, 07:14:21 pm

Offline TofuEater

Quote from: Quasikomodo;678077
Big pile of BS IMO

Yay, Massa the legend. I confidently predict that Ferrari will not achieve a 1/2 this season because either one of their drivers will not be able to handle the pressure - and yes that includes Raikonnen. Without traction control, they are shit. :finger:

Reply #97 Posted: March 23, 2008, 09:51:17 pm

Offline Shasta

• Devoted Member
Well, another typically shit bit of coverage from ITV / Sky. It ALWAYS seems to be either:

stretched screen, as if widescreen has been stretched to fullscreen,

car/track sounds, but no commentary (like the first half of quali this week,

commentary but no car/track sounds (like the first half of the whole damn race this week - cars could be heard faintly through the commentary speakers, and were louder as they went past the commentary box)

no sound when someone (Ted/Louise) interviews someone, or pit radio, all we hear is the commentators agreeing / whatever with silence.

Yes, these usually get resolved - but it's taking them longer and longer to sort it out. The worst I have seen is 12 laps with no commentary, but now we have a new record with half the fucking race with no car sounds (except for whatever trickled through the commentary window and down the microphones. Half a race to sort it.

This sort of shit TV coverage is pathetic. I'm assuming it's not Sky's fault, and they just broadcast the signal that ITV give them. I just wish those stupid poms would get their crap together and do something right for once. Even the inbred NASCAR goons can muster up a decent broadcast.

Reply #98 Posted: March 23, 2008, 09:54:58 pm

Offline TofuEater

It must be you dood - my coverage was fine. In fact, when Coulthard's radio didn't come through the commentators even repeated it for us. Get Sky rather than that dodgy russian internet link that you're tuned in on. :rasb:

Reply #99 Posted: March 23, 2008, 10:56:39 pm